Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ Update: Just got UGLY

Rat_Boy

Originally posted by NYC

Bang,

Bradway was grilled on this board for sticking his ground on a $10 miil signing bonus with Cole$ and not overpaying him his worth . I guess it's ok for when it happens with your team.

do you think a 14.75 million dollar signing bonus offer is fair? I think it's pretty damned good myself.

besides, i haven't really weighed in yet on how i personally view this move.

So overall, here is how I see it. If a guy is wanting to break the bank to the detriment of the team, it's not good.

I think the offer is fair. We'll see how it plays out.

~Bang

Bang,

Not when you give a WR whose had one good year a #13 mill signing bonus, do you not think your players take notice of this wild spending and then want to be paid according to the Dan Snyder salary curve? Of course a guy whose the best at his position is going to command more from your owner. Hell Terrence Newman a rookie signed some thing in the $13 million range.

I personally though $10 mill SB for Coles was justified but in no way was he worth #13 mill especially at the cost of future signings such as J.Abe & Pennington, so while I loved Cole$ I was happy to see the jets brass let him walk and use the money elsewhere.

I think everyone should remember that in todays NFL the signing bonus IS the most important part of the contract. Who gives a damn whats at the last few years of the contract when it will never be paid. I suppose Bruce Smith will have his contract honored next season (over 6 million)? If you don't put the cash on the table up front players are no longer interested. Look at all of these backloaded contracts today. To offer CB 7 million is an insult, especialy after giving a one year wonder 13 million. There isn't even an argument there. Now why should he expect ANYTHING less than what he can receive from one of the other 31 teams in the NFL? After all, THIS IS HOW YOU HAVE JUDGED THE EAGLES ON EVERY PLAYER THEY LOST IN FREE AGENCY, EVER!!!!! All of a sudden CB isn't worth it? A corner doesn't make a defense? Plese fellas, Smoot is not going to be your savior and he's going to try to get his payday as well. AHEM, just like Shawn Barber and his 5.5 million a year. 1 great year with the birds and he's worth this? I think not.

So I guess 3 years of solid play means nothing, but 1 year is worth a 13 million signing bonus? Heres your answer fellas. For YOU it might have been worth it to try and get your offense to resemble the fun and gun, not a showcase of no talent and raw QB's. Yes you need Champ. You also need DL's. You however, do not have enough money to accomplish all of these things so maybe CB is not worth a 15 million SB. Maybe the Eagles don't need Hugh since there is incredible depth at the position. Maybe we didn't need Mitchell, after all, Lito Sheppard returned a kickoff for a TD and Freddie Millons took one 82 yards (all this in two games). Maybe we spent more on our new FB who is one of the best in the league. You can't argue with results good or bad you just have to rely on those calling the shots to make the right moves. This however is something you must do. Let Champ go and dare I say you will be VERY sorry you did. He takes half the field out of play for you. THAT is a luxury few teams in this league have. I will understand why though if they do. $$$$$$$$$$Something you have very few of to spare to uprgade this team. Good luck and I hope it works out for you. It's time to bring this division back to where it use to be in the early 90's.

Actually I know why Champ wasn't happy with the deal. It was in reality a 7 mill SB not 14. For some reason the way the skins set it up is through portions. Basically and installment way, if he stayed the whole contract then he would get it all. Honestly that was pretty stupid by the FO. But at least they are talking unlike Terrel Owens in SF :)

Originally posted by jbooma

Actually I know why Champ wasn't happy with the deal. It was in reality a 7 mill SB not 14. For some reason the way the skins set it up is through portions. Basically and installment way, if he stayed the whole contract then he would get it all. Honestly that was pretty stupid by the FO. But at least they are talking unlike Terrel Owens in SF :)

Yeah, TO will be the prize in next years free agency!

The bottom line is Champ Bailey deserves better bucks than what we doled out to Deion Sanders. I think Snyder should actually pay Champ the 14.75 by giving him an up front 2/3 of the SB and the remainder over 4 years. By then we can draft 2nd and 3rd rounders to develop with Edwards defense. The problem nowadays is having the money for so many "stars" supposedly on one team. It is just too costly, which is why teams like Indianapolis and Philadelphia, aren't in an spending frenzy.

Bailey has to recognize this and his agent, just like BDW did. Just like SD did. Just like Deion KNEW!

Breaking the bank can mean getting booed while your team can't keep a decent roster of very good players. That is why teams make heartbreaking deciisions for release, not because they are short sighted or CHEAP. IT costs up the a** to even have a team, run it, and then dole out 45% of your player salaries to 7 guys and then expect to have some miraculous team storm the Midway. On the average, you'll get a few chances at a good season, but guys will keep jumping ship, just when it's almost time to break water. Constantly replacing them becomes more of a hassle, depleting the roster and picking up scum, slime and rejects b*tching for more themselves.

The mess starts with the agent of the player and ends there no matter how you slice it.

In BDW's case, according to his agent. BDW wanted MORE than his agent told him to go for!!!! What is Champ's problem, is the rent due, no food on the table.

It is the sickening side of football I hate the most and makes me turn on some players. I am losing my respect for a shi*load of them already, and YES I can blame them, because a perfect example is BDW!

Bottomline is that 90% of NFL players are overpaid. Rarely do you find a player that is going to play every single year of his contract as good as he did during the year he was negotiating for a new contract. If Champ wants to be the highest paid CB, we can and are going to make it happen, however if he wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the entire league, then I am sorry, he can take a walk, and trust me, I will be heart-broken as a Champ Bailey/Redskins fan, but it is a fact of life that fans of every team have to deal with. I am sure Champ will get whatever money ge wants SOMEWHERE, but the catch is, it will probably land him in some sucky franchise that doesn't have a lot of talent so they can afford to pay ONE player all that money. Perhaps the Skins overpaid for Coles, but it's not like any other franchise wouldn't have, if they had the chance. Like I said, most players in today's game are overpaid for the production they put out.

I am sure Champ will get whatever money ge wants SOMEWHERE, but the catch is, it will probably land him in some sucky franchise that doesn't have a lot of talent so they can afford to pay ONE player all that money

See Hugh Douglas,and his last minute offer from Jacksonville. Jack Delrio is already upset with his performance and Douglas came into camp overweight.

Originally posted by phanatic

See Hugh Douglas,and his last minute offer from Jacksonville. Jack Delrio is already upset with his performance and Douglas came into camp overweight.

Yes, Douglas is a good example. When MONEY is the #1 factor it shows, and everyone can see through the "oh it wasn't about money, it was always about respect" line of pure BS.

If he turns down the offer, which looks pretty fair (at least as reported), the Skins should just franchise him. If they do, only three things can happen: (1) he plays under the tag and gets top five money, (2) someone gives the Skins two first-rounders for him, (3) he holds out.

One and two ain't that bad. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at $5m a year for the franchise tag, that's about what his new contract would pay him anyway. Only #3 is a worry, but it doesn't happen that often with franchise players. How many guys give up $5m on principle?

I'm not that worried about this. It's not like the Skins low-balled him. No hurry.

I am very upset, i didnt think Champ was like this. I always thought he was more of a team guy. I just have one thing to say. And that is if he's man enough to think he's worth all this money and be this selfish then he needs to be man enough to let this go public and let his teammates know about what their fellow teammate is trying to get out of this team.

Right now he's putting himself above the team and maybe thats why we've been under achieving the past couple year, because some guys are putting themselves above the team.

CALM DOWN. This is what they call a negotiation, it doesn't end right away, usually takes some time :doh: This is the same way the dealt with Jansen and last I checked he is still on the team.

If champ gets to the point where he doesn't want a deal then let all the bashing begin. Untill then just let them work something out and don't worry about it. I have never seen so many armchair GM's in my life. :gus:

I think we all need to just breathe............

there doesn't that feel better :cool: :pint:

Archived