Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ Update: Just got UGLY

Rat_Boy

Cornerback Champ Bailey is poised to reject the Washington Redskins' opening contract offer, a nine-year proposal worth about $55 million, according to sources. Bailey apparently hopes the Redskins will increase their offer, but sources said yesterday that the team is seriously considering making its proposal a take-it-or-leave-it offer.

If the Redskins make their offer non-negotiable, they would be prepared to use their franchise-player tag to keep Bailey with the club next year, sources said. Bailey says he would consider suspending negotiations if there's no deal in place before the Sept. 4 season opener.

According to sources, the Redskins have offered about $14.75 million in bonus money, payable in four installments. Two are guaranteed immediately and two become guaranteed if Bailey remains on the team after this season. Snyder has made a practice of having the team's larger signing bonuses payable over several installments. Generally, the signing bonus is the only guaranteed portion of an NFL contract. According to sources, the Redskins' offer to Bailey also includes other bonuses.
I guess that is why the confusion on the signing bonus.

Well, it looks like the Franchise Tag 'o Commeth...

Read it all right HERE.

The more I see of this, the more I think we might be better off franchising him, and seeing if we can get a player and a first round pick.

If we could get a deal like say a #8 pick and a solid DT or DE, I'd have to say go for it. As good as Champ is, he's no Peon or Darrell.

I just can't believe that Champ is that hungry at the dinner table. I think it's the BONUS he's trying to get and a large purse up front in cash far greater than what Deion walked with. That is because it is guaranteed money.

My sights deeper in this tell me that his cause is a pure and simple one. If Spurrier's not around in say, year 4 of Champ's contract and the owner, if still the owner or a new one brings in a management and coach Champ just can't work for, he's got paid for his quality years and would feel well compensated for his tenure. He wouldn't feel like he's got to milk the cow to get his due, in spite of not wanting to stick around at the same time.

I agree Yusuf.

I'm suprised Champ has taken on this "me" persona during the negotiations. I think another thread we discussed the..."I'm gonna get paid because everyone knows I'm underpaid" stance. Suddenly the quiet Georgia boy has a case of the "Look at me...Listen to me toot my own horn" syndrome.

I hope Ade Jimoh turns out to be a diamond in the rough. We could be seeing a serviceable trio of Smoot/Bauman/Jimoh in the coming years.

Originally posted by Cskin

Suddenly the quiet Georgia boy has a case of the "Look at me...Listen to me toot my own horn" syndrome.

He's got an agent in his ear telling him what to say and how much he's worth.

Stephen Davis and BDW both had agents telling them what they were worth too and now they are both working for a lot less.

Ugh, Look Champ, you're worth 14 mill to us. You aren't work 18 mill. Sorry Bud. You aren't that good. Our defense hasn't been spectacular, or haven't you noticed?

I agree. We have to franchise him, and hope some team is silly enough to give up picks.

He's a good player, and a great CB, but if he is going to believe that he is above the team sorry bud, You aren't Ray Lewis.

Don't see anyone ready to shell out two first round picks for him. We may possibly get outbid next year. I wish that article was not from a reliable source. I really wanted to keep Champ. Question, can you franchise a player for more than one year?

Negiotations have just started. Champ and his agent are just playing hardball.

Also, what makes you think our front office can secure us a solid DL. They refuse to draft high for the defensive line, and continue to rely on second/third rate talent to fill in at starting positions. Without Champ, our defense would look alot worse.

How can he think he is worth more money? How much does one kid need? If he is on the roster after this season he should be set for life (baring any unusually large diamonds). I don't think there is a team out there that will pay him more, but I guess he just might try to push the envelope.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

Negiotations have just started. Champ and his agent are just playing hardball.

Also, what makes you think our front office can secure us a solid DL. They refuse to draft high for the defensive line, and continue to rely on second/third rate talent to fill in at starting positions. Without Champ, our defense would look alot worse.

To be honest, my gut is telling me they will really work to shore up the dline this offseason. Remember how much we were all bellyacheing about the oline last year? Then look what Snyder did. He knows where the team is lacking and tries to do what he can to improve it.

thats great, I'd be really impressed with the front office if they made it a take it or leave it deal, thats good work boys

yeah hopefully we can get two late 1st round draft picks and get a big bag o' crap, that way we can "address" our DLine issues just in time for some DB issues, because its not like we could address the DLine with our own draft picks

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

A CB does not make a defense. LBs and the DL make a defense. If we get a solid DL that can put pressure on the QB, we'll be fine without Champ.

Well, I think thats delusional, CBs do make a good defense and if you want to use Tampa as an example, Abraham and Barberhave both been to the Pro Bowl and B. Kelly played well enough to get there last year and if he keeps it up he will be a regular. Not to mention John Lynch a Pro Bowl staple if you want to expand the conversation to the secondary in general

Originally posted by Yomar

Well, I think thats delusional, CBs do make a good defense and if you want to use Tampa as an example, Abraham and Barberhave both been to the Pro Bowl and B. Kelly played well enough to get there last year and if he keeps it up he will be a regular. Not to mention John Lynch a Pro Bowl staple if you want to expand the conversation to the secondary in general

Sure, that all sounds good...The aforementioned players are just that, GREAT players. But I'd certainly have to agree with Skeletor here...Tampa's defensive succes is predicated by it's DLine. In fact, the success of any unit more so depends on the big guys up front (OLine and DLine: the TRUE athletes on the field)!

I think that its still WAY too early in the talks for them to be stuck.

Yesterday they said that Champ would have a counter proposal by the end of the week.....so......we don't even know exactly what he wants. What if its a 16 mil bonus? then do you say no?

I would give it to him spread over a handful of years.

Archived