Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jon Stewart on the response to NASA's outreach to Muslims

SkinsHokieFan

LOL! That was fantastic.

Stewart's humor is rare, unique, and razor-sharp. It's a shame that his (and Colbert's) spot-on sensibilities seem to be rare and unique as well -- at least on TV/radio.

Thank God for The Daily Show.

Craig Kilborn was way better

Yeah, I remember he was telling me that the other day. Then his boss yelled at him and told him to get back on the mower, and he had to go.

Shame,, he was the funniest guy on that landscaping crew, too.

~Bang

I guess I'm alone in thinking that was lame.

Fox news said nothing that everyone else hasn't said. He just went after them anyway because they are an easy, popular target (by that I mean popular AS a target). Yawn.

And as for comparing NASA reaching out to a religion to cooperating with the another nation in ACTUAL space endeavors... riiiiiiight.

I'm sorry. I voted for Obama and I think it's a stupid idea and a miss-use of an important national asset. If Stewart doesn't, then maybe he's not as smart as he's given credit for.

I'm sorry. I voted for Obama and I think it's a stupid idea and a miss-use of an important national asset. If Stewart doesn't, then maybe he's not as smart as he's given credit for.

I think its important to differentiate between when Jon Stewart is being serious, like when he took on Jim Cramer and when he's just being funny.

I wouldn't elevate Stewart to genius status, but the man is certainly very witty and intelligent, and sadly, he often does more honest or hard hitting journalism on his show than most productions. In the end his show is consumed entertainment just like the product he mocks though, so you have to wade through his own mischaracterizations that take place the name of comedy from time to time.

That said, I typically thoroughly enjoy it :evil:

Although, even if the fear-mongering tactics used to address the issue are disappointing at best, the actual question raised is legitimate: What the **** is the point of having NASA if we cancel most of the funding/programs in the name of trying to inspire people to higher education??? Seriously, thanks to Obama's NASA appointees, and probably the president too, America will no longer be the leader in space. We will have no spaceflight, we canceled our replacement program and a bunch of scientific endeavors including the colonization of the ****ing moon in the name of inspiring kids to invest in math and science?! What the hell is the motivation? I'm not saying Bush's plan was an incredibly awesome one, but it sure beats the heck out of doing nothing with NASA except the state departments job.

I actually kind of agree with reaching out to the Muslim world as a student of interdependence theory in IR. Although I am a little hesitant about deeply incorporating regimes like Syria or Iran or whatever into our program, for incredibly obvious reasons I hope, I think extending an offer to work with Jordanian, Egyptian, or Turkish scientists in space on joint projects is a fairly good idea. It would work too if we had some ****ing spaceships to fly them to a multi-billion dollar spacestation that we weren't going to let plummet into the ocean. :tantrum:

Love Jon Stewart. But I don't understand how effective NASA will be at inspiring youth to learn science, when Obama is cutting manned spaceflight.

Thought manned spaceflight and probes to different worlds / comets / etc. did more to inspire youth than any TV program or community outreach program....

I'm curious, since I don't watch his show, has he ever done a skit making fun of Allah on a nightly basis?

I'm sure he'd be welcomed by all his Mooslim friends then.

I'm also sure he'd feel safe walking the streets without bodyguards.

I'm curious, since I don't watch his show, has he ever done a skit making fun of Allah on a nightly basis?

What in the world are you talking about?

Why would he do a skit making fun of Allah on a nightly basis? Apparently you don't understand what the Daily Show is or what its about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Show

The Daily Show, known in its current incarnation as The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, is an American late night satirical television program airing each Monday through Thursday on Comedy Central in the United States. The half-hour long show premiered on July 21, 1996, and was hosted by Craig Kilborn until December 1998. Jon Stewart took over as host in January 1999, bringing a number of changes to the show's content. Under Stewart, The Daily Show has become more strongly focused around politics and the national media, in contrast with the more character-driven focus during Kilborn's tenure.

Describing itself as a fake news program, The Daily Show draws its comedy and satire from recent news stories, political figures, media organizations, and often, aspects of the show itself. The show typically opens with a long monologue from Jon Stewart relating to recent headlines and frequently features exchanges with one or more of several correspondents, who adopt absurd or humorously exaggerated takes on current events against Stewart's straight man persona. The final segment is devoted to a celebrity interview, with guests ranging from actors and musicians to nonfiction authors and political figures.

You should watch it. I would bet that you find your preconceptions to be wrong. They do make fun of violent muslims, they do make fun of democrats, they slam Obama almost every night. They make fun of MSNBC, they make fun of Chris Matthews, they make fun of pretty much anyone who needs made fun of. Pretty much all of the hooting that the Daily Show wouldn't make fun of these things and that after Obama was elected they'd have nothing to talk about is so completely off base .. to hear it coming out of people's mouths is almost like listening to someone who is blind describe the color blue, or arguing with someone who insists Delaware is the largest nation on earth.. they have no idea whatsoever of what they're talking about.

In fact, it cracks me up to see it, because it shows clearly that they don't watch it, probably never did for more than two minutes, but feel expert enough on the topic to make assertions that are laughably false... all because some right wing blogger or talking head told them it was a liberal show.

They are equal opportunity offenders, and the show is funny as hell.

And, it should be noted that since it IS satire, the best idea is to leave your partisanship at the door, because they are going to make fun of people you like. And if people get offended by it, well they just don't get the concept of satire and comedy.

~Bang

Well, as I said, I don't watch the show. I guess my assessment is based on all the air headed zombies around here who pretend that it is something more than satire, and give him credit for being something other than an opportunistic entertainer.

My question though, was serious. I find it surprising, with the touchiness of Allah worshipers, that if he ever went after him like he does the Christian's God of choice, he would have been killed by now.

So, if he hasn't, I guess it means he's not stupid, just that the parts of his audience that see him as some kind of social hero, are.

Well, as I said, I don't watch the show. I guess my assessment is based on all the air headed zombies around here who pretend that it is something more than satire, and give him credit for being something other than an opportunistic entertainer.

My question though, was serious. I find it surprising, with the touchiness of Allah worshipers, that if he ever went after him like he does the Christian's God of choice, he would have been killed by now.

So, if he hasn't, I guess it means he's not stupid, just that the parts of his audience that see him as some kind of social hero, are.

So you just wanted to throw in a shot at Muslims, you didn't actually care about what the show was about. Good to know.

So you just wanted to throw in a shot at Muslims, you didn't actually care about what the show was about. Good to know.

No, I just thought his sucking up to them a little sickening.

I believe this addresses your concerns. Particularly the last two minutes.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-april-22-2010/south-park-death-threats

Archived