Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Idea to Fix Offsides During Soccer Games

Zazzaro703

Offisides is such a huge call in soccer and so easily botched i feel FIFA has to use some sort of technology to solve this problem. Here is my idea which i really think would work. First lets give a definition of Offsides in Soccer. There must be two defenders behind the last offensive player when the ball is played forward or else the offensive player is in an offsides position. The Goal Keeper counts as one defender.

Each side of the field is assigned a Value. Lets say A is Spains value today for their defensive side of the field and Hollands defensive side is B. Each player wheres a small chip in their jersey that they wouldnt even notice that broadcasts a small signal. Lets say today Spains would have been broadcasting 1, Hollands 2. If at any time there aren't two number #1 (Spain) signals being broadcast in side A between the the endline and the furthest #2 (Holland) signal in Value As half of the field the side ref hears a beep or feels a buzzing until there are two #1 (Spain) signals between the endline and the furthest #2 (Holland) signal in spains half of the field (Value A). It would then stop if those conditions were met.

This would allow the side ref to be able to watch the ball and know if someone is offsides when it is played if they are hearing a beep or feeling a buzz. No beeping or buzzing when played, no offisides. Too many times the defense is pulling up while a striker is making a perfect run and the side ref misses it because it is so close that when the ball is played the striker is onsides, but the half second it takes for the side ref to turn his head the striker is now a yard offsides.

Of course some of the plays would be close and the ref would have to decide if he felt the buzz right before the ball was played but it would def lead to more correct offsides calls. It also would not slow down the game and wouldnt cause any break in the action and that is what FIFA doesnt want (Instant Replay). Hell if no one said anything FIFA could make it so that no one even knows. If you can sort of understand the tecnical part of what i wrote it would work. Obviously since it still would come down to human decision it wouldnt be perfect but A LOT more offside calls would be accurate.

Thoughts? Additions? Criticisms? Applause?

Unfortunately it might not work... Offsides is called if the player that IS offsides plays the ball. Therefore if one is offsides, yet it's a bang bang offsides call with ANOTHER player who then plays the ball, your point is moot...

Unfortunately it might not work... Offsides is called if the player that IS offsides plays the ball. Therefore if one is offsides, yet it's a bang bang offsides call with ANOTHER player who then plays the ball, your point is moot...

Yeah but it still would be a referee decision. If there is no buzz he doesnt call it no matter who plays it. It would just be an extra guide for the side ref. Unless it were two players breaking free and the ref had no clue who was offsides if their offsides indicator was beeping the ref would make the call the way the ref does now. Almost anytime else it's pretty easy to see who was in the play and who wasn't. Any sort of close call would still be up to the side ref, they would just have an extra tool at their disposal.

thats funny, zazzaro. i was thinking the exact same thing the other day- except the chip would be in the shoes.

Best team won the world cup. No need to fix anything, IMO. Mistakes happen in ANY game, even the most over-officiated, technologically "advanced" game in the world: NFL.

i dont know about that. just cuz the best team won doesnt mean you cant improve the product. the goals called back vs the US were game changers and could have been very costly. the argentine goal vs mexico was huge. the england goal that was 2-3 feet over the line and not called a goal was horrific and prevented a team that was down 2-0 minutes before from being tied 2 apiece.

these were all flaws that everybody watching the game could see, yet the ref couldnt. if it can be fixed, it should be.

it's patently un-American to blame others for what one fails to accomplish.

Worry about the things you can control, out play the other team AND the officiating and you can't complain about the outcome.

England failed to hustle back to prevent a counter down 2-1, which led to their demise. Mexico failed to finish chances. The US played sloppy defense to start against Slovenia that put them 2-0 in the hole. And they missed plenty of chances in front of goal against Algeria.

it's patently un-American to blame others for what one fails to accomplish.

Worry about the things you can control, out play the other team AND the officiating and you can't complain about the outcome.

England failed to hustle back to prevent a counter down 2-1, which led to their demise. Mexico failed to finish chances. The US played sloppy defense to start against Slovenia that put them 2-0 in the hole. And they missed plenty of chances in front of goal against Algeria.

i never said those team didnt have chances in the game. every team does in every game.

when goals happen when they shouldnt, and when goals arent counted when they should, and it can be rectified, you should do it. i cant believe anyone would say otherwise.

we saw a game yesterday where nobody scored for over 110 minutes. when goals and that scarce, and that huge, you have to get them right. no?

I am not against soccer using more technology - but why are people so worried about perfecting off-sides? I am much more interested in them fixing diving. Maybe reviewing game tapes 24 hours after a match and suspending a player for 1 game for every CLEAR dive. Warning for questionable dives. Enough warnings and you get a suspension as well.

As for off-sides, in every sport there will be certain calls that are judgment calls on the spot. Off-sides is one of those.

What about in the NFL with false starts and holding? Those are on the spot judgment calls that are blown and many times can cost a team a TD.

You're idea won't work because where do you put the sensor? If you put it on say the back of the shirt then if the attacker and defender are facing opposite directions, the attacker can be offside and his sensor can still say that he's on.

What's more, I really doubt that any such sensor exists that is accurate enough to be used for such a situation. The only real answer I can see is using High Definition camera feeds and advanced image detection software. The cameras are already in place but it would clearly require very powerful computers to process the data in real time. I think such a solution is feasible with current technology (look at the new Playstation 3 Move controller) and could be used in the next World Cup. In the English Premiership and other top European leagues they already use player tracking software to tell viewers the distances run by each individual player in real time.

Archived