Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP (News Alert email): Manute Bol, former Washington Bullet, dies at 47

ACW

Manute Bol, who became a basketball sensation in the 1980s as a skeletally thin shot-blocking giant with the Washington Bullets and other professional teams, and who devoted his post-basketball life to improving the lot of his fellow natives of Sudan, died June 19 at the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville. He was 47.

His cousin George Bol said Mr. Bol had internal bleeding and other complications from Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, a rare skin disease that he contracted from a medication he received in Africa.

:(

7-7, but only 225 lbs. One of the oddest looking people I've ever seen.

With 5-3 Muggsy Bogues:

tallest-NBA-players-Manute-Bol.jpg

RIP Manute. This story bears repeating today. You were one funny dude with a smile like none other.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7521073&postcount=25

Coolest was Manute Bol...probably 12 years ago or so. I was having drinks with my girl at a local watering hole and the place was packed. Manute came in and asked if he could sit at our bar table. The bartender came up and Manute ordered a steak dinner. After downing several Heinekens he appeared to be getting irritated that his food wasn't there yet. He started dropping f-bombs, calling the waiter a mother****er, saying he wasn't getting served because he was a brother...on and on. Was only after they both started laughing that we figured out that they knew each other as Manute was a regular. He ended up buying us a bottle of champagne as he left...

RIP man...He was a great role model off the court. It's sad he got the illness that killed him by helping others:

:(

Very true. He may not have been a "great" player, but he was a great man; and that matters a lot more.

Archived