PRESS RELEASE & redskinsblog twitter - Redskins release 4 and sign 1

c4man5282

Moss

Thomas

Kelly

Galloway

Armstrong

Austin/Banks

Right now I like Banks more then Austin. Banks reminds me of a poor mans Dexter McCluster from this draft. McCluster will be used as a WR not a RB, which is the same use we could get from Banks. The leftover from the Banks/Austin combo will be on the practice squad. Hodge will also be a good candidate for the PS as well.

Moss is a lock because he is currently our best WR

Thomas is a lock for potential reasons

Kelly is a lock for potential reasons

Galloway seems to making the most of this opportunity, Shanahan will keep at least one seasoned vet

Armstrong will be the dark horse WR no one really knows about, kind of how Marko was last season

Austin/Banks will be kept for the KR/PR/ST ability

I agree that Austin and Banks can only make the roster at this point if they show explosive ability in the return game.

But, how can you know that you like Banks more? I'm assuming because of tweets and observations from OTA's.

The only problem with that is, Austin still hasn't graduated from school. That's June 12, and until then, he can't participate at all in team activities. So its not his fault that he hasn't stuck out to anybody...he hasn't been able to be here.

I'm actually a huge Mike Furrey fan, and wish we had signed him last year. He's a poor man's Wes Welker, and great in a West Coast offense. He should be our 4th WR this season, and could give us, cheap, solid production.

That is exactly how I see him as well. He is very Welkerish. Tough guy who will be great on the crossing patterns in the middle.

I am interested in his play at Safety too, will be interesting if we ever see him there during the season.

DAMN When is this season going to start!!!!

I'm actually a huge Mike Furrey fan, and wish we had signed him last year. He's a poor man's Wes Welker, and great in a West Coast offense. He should be our 4th WR this season, and could give us, cheap, solid production.

I would say he at this point in his career he is a poor man's Lance Moore. I think your giving him a little too much credit comparing him to Wes Welker. I still like the pick up though and think he can contribute.

I agree that Austin and Banks can only make the roster at this point if they show explosive ability in the return game.

But, how can you know that you like Banks more? I'm assuming because of tweets and observations from OTA's.

The only problem with that is, Austin still hasn't graduated from school. That's June 12, and until then, he can't participate at all in team activities. So its not his fault that he hasn't stuck out to anybody...he hasn't been able to be here.

Because Banks is there and working and Austin isn't. I know he cant because of school but right now Banks has the upper hand. He is faster, he has shown from the OTA tweets that he is able to play WR as well not just a special teams ace.

Some quotes from Shanahan today about the moves:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/shanahan-redskins-wrap-up-otas.html#more

The signing of receiver Mike Furrey: Because Santana Moss and Joey Galloway were away from practice Wednesday, and the Redskins had a couple of guys out with minor injuries (Shanahan wouldn't say who or what the injuries are), they were left with only five receivers for practice.

"Any time you do lose a couple guys, you take a look at the depth outside the organization," Shanahan said. "Like I said, there's some guys that liked the way he played, liked the way he competed. He's caught a lot of balls. He can play inside and outside, that type of player. Now he gets a chance to compete."

Shanahan said Furrey would remain on the roster into training camp.

Cutting tight end Sean Ryan: The Redskins cut the veteran Tuesday, part of the way Shanahan wants to deal with players, he said. "I like to be honest with these guys," he said. "If I have somebody that will not be part of the 80 [players] once we go to camp July 29 -- the guy's been working extremely hard through the off-season program -- I believe in telling them as quick as possible."

Interesting insight into the fuerry signing....we didn't really want him so much as we needed him in the short term with WR injuries. And now he gets a chance to compete.

Doesn't sound like the panicky, desperate WR signing everyone thinks it is.

Mike Furrey, IMO, is going to be one of those surprise "Keenan McCardell"-type signings. We bring in a guy who is "old," can’t do much AFTER the catch, and basically everyone starts hating on the move automatically.

He started his career when Mike Martz was in St.Louis (DB at the time). He followed Martz to Detroit, and had 98 receptions in the first season Martz was the OC in Detroit (and that was with Calvin Johnson[rookie season], Roy Williams, and another 'name' receiver on the roster already).

In the final game of that year, he absolutely ABUSED Terrence "Best CB in the NFL because he wears a start on his helmet" Newman [btw, the best thing he did in that game was his TD celebration…after he walked in for 6, he threw the ball right at one of those scotch taped-on stars that surrounded Texas Stadium…causing it to fall off LOL].

[*FWIW, that was the first TD of the game, and after knocking off the star from the wall, he set the the tone for the rest of the game, in which the Lions pulled the huge upset and defeated the Cowboys, in the final game of the year…embarassing them @home. :) ]

They were 3-13 that year, and he had John Kitna throwing him the ball. Martz liked him, which meant he probably knew how to run pretty damn good routes (he did have ~100 catches). He followed up with having 61 catches for 664 yards in ’07 (Martz’ final year as Detroit’s OC).

He’s also listed at 6-0/195lbs. on ESPN but from the times I saw him play he had deceptive speed and knew how to get open (kinda like Cooley, but with better hands). Oh, and being a former DB, it probably gives him some advantages, like knowing what the defenders coverage area/responsibilities should be.

I could easily see him as a poor man’s Ed McCaffrey, nothing flashy, but a guy who will be able to get open & catch the ball on 3rd downs, keeping drives alive, a solid option for 3rd and short/medium passing situations - and it’s not like we have many of those types of receivers on the roster right now.

*BTW, while Shanahan keeps bringing in all these different types of receivers, maybe you guys should focus more on what their "specialties" are rather than their age/and or *potential* upside.

Zorn really ****ed up from the get go last year, when he decided to have Kelly jump ahead of Thomas on the depth chart to start the year (even though Thomas was set to be the starter opposite Moss until the final preason game).

Realistically, all he did was further delay Thomas’ development (in which we already knew he had a high upside when we drafted him, but were able to get him in the second round ONLY because everyone [in the NFL] already knew he was a "raw" project, who needed some time to develop).

I would love to be wrong on this one, but, I have a feeling that the Shanahans see Thomas as a future starting WR for this team, & Kelly as nothing but a wasted pick…(and no, I don’t think it matters how tall he is).

Kelly’s height (and his apparent display of great hands during practice), might have a lot of you hoping that he has potential, but the guy is thinner than Brandon Lloyd ever was, has more brittle bones than an 70-year old lady, and plays with more fear and is softer than Charmin Ultra Toilet Paper.

McNabb has a great track record playing with speedy receivers (even before the current WR corps in Philly, he made Dante Stallworth look like an All-Pro).

Moss, Galloway (even at his advanced age), Banks, Armstrong & Austin are all speedsters. Thomas has the speed + the strength. What’s missing is a WR that is not the most physically gifted, but someone like a…idk…Mike Furrey :) .

I doubt Kelly do much this season, and sooner rather than later, we will have a WR corps of Thomas & Moss as the starters, and some mixture of the young, faster receivers to go along with the older, 'veteran,’ "Furrey/Wade/Galloway"-types as the makeup of our wr corps. This would be the best with what we have, as you get both the veteran experience & the young receivers w/potential, having the privilege of learning from the veterans (kinda like how Steve Smith really benefitted from the veteran experience of Ricky Proehl).

Archived