Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESS RELEASE & redskinsblog twitter - Redskins release 4 and sign 1

c4man5282

redskinsblog

#Redskins release LB Ace Bowen, DL Antoine Holmes, CB Marcus McCauley, and TE Sean Ryan, and sign WR Mike Furrey. #NFL half a minute ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/redskinsblog/status/15800798801

LarryWeisman

#Redskins sign WR Mike Furrey as UFA. Release LB Alvin Bowen, TE Sean Ryan, DL Antoine Holmes, CB Marcus McCauley. 1 minute ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/LarryWeisman/status/15800828210

---------------------------

ES Staff Edit:

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

June 9, 2010

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

LOUDOUN COUNTY, VA – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed wide receiver Mike Furrey. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. The team also released linebacker Alvin Bowen, defensive lineman Antoine Holmes, cornerback Marcus McCauley and tight end Sean Ryan.

Furrey, 33, is a veteran of seven NFL seasons (2003-09) and has played in 94 regular season games, with 41 starts, as well as three playoff contests. He has accumulated 221 catches for 2,298 yards and seven touchdowns, returned 21 kicks for 387 yards (18.4 avg.) and returned 23 punts for 213 yards (9.3 avg.). Furrey (6-0, 195) has also seen action as a defensive back, most notably in 2005 when he started 11 games at safety for the Rams and led the team with four interceptions, one of which he returned 67 yards for a touchdown.

Furrey spent last season in Cleveland, where he played in 16 games, with four starts, including two at wide receiver and two at safety. On offense, he caught 23 passes for 170 yards. Defensively, he registered 14 tackles and two passes defensed. Following the season, Furrey was named one of three finalists for the NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, along with the Redskins’ London Fletcher, and eventual winner Brian Waters of Kansas City.

Prior to joining the Browns, Furrey played three seasons in Detroit (2006-08). In his first season with the Lions, Furrey set career highs with 14 starts, 98 receptions, 1,086 receiving yards and six touchdowns. He followed that with a 61-catch, 664-yard campaign in 2007.

Furrey began his NFL career as a member of the St. Louis Rams in 2003, when he recorded 20 receptions for 189 yards. He played mostly on special teams in 2004, finishing the season second on the club with 12 special teams tackles, before the 2005 season in which he played primarily on defense.

After spending the 2000 preseason with Indianapolis, which signed him as a college free agent, Furrey spent 2001 with the XFL’s Las Vegas Outlaws and 2002-03 with the Arena Football League’s New York Dragons.

Furrey played three collegiate seasons at Northern Iowa (1997-99) following his transfer from Ohio State, where he played one season. He was born March 12, 1977, in Gallion, Ohio and prepped at Hilliard (Ohio) High School.

Bowen spent the final five weeks of the 2009 season on the Redskins’ 53-man roster, but was inactive for each game. He was also on the team’s practice squad for nine weeks last season. McCauley was signed to the active roster in Week 17 of last season and was inactive for the final contest. Holmes spent the final five weeks of last season on the Redskins’ practice squad. Ryan was signed as a free agent on March 11, 2010.

<end staff edit>

Any information on the new guy they signed?

Bio and highlights would be nice. It's faster to find out posting versus searching it myself...

FUR643990.jpg

Mike Furrey | #87 | WR

Cleveland Browns | Official Team Site

Height: 6-0 Weight: 195 Age: 33

Born: 3/12/1977 Galion , OH

College: Northern Iowa

Experience: 8th season

High School: Hilliard HS [OH]

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHQF5Gt_D1M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHQF5Gt_D1M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Would you like us to come to your house and read it for you as well? :silly:

that'd be nice, bring a scone too please.

doesnt seem he will be anything special for us. I like how most of his highlights come from 2 games!

I remember people being excited about Marcus Macauley too. I think I officially hate twitter, it's contributed nothing positive to society.:ols:

You're talking about news minutes after it happens instead of tomorrow reading it in the paper. That's pretty positive. :)

I dont understand why Marko gets a pink slip, but the over the hill WR corps gets larger?

my sentiment exactly!

mitchell is going to be so sick nasty learning from megatron. shanallen really dropped the damned ball on that one...

mitchell is going to be so sick nasty learning from megatron. shanallen really dropped the damned ball on that one...

You can't teach tall!

For serious though, I agree with Aaron Schatz: FO_ASchatz

Redskins playing veteran receiver roulette... Bobby Wade, Mike Furrey, Joey Galloway... who makes it? (I say Furrey.)

We aren't cutting our top 3 WRs and one vet makes the team. So relax.

Glad Ryan is gone, more playing time for the stud TEs on the team.

Including Dennis Morris...

Anyone as excited as I am about the double TE set with Cooley and Davis? McNabb has made all of his TEs look like HoFs so having two that can dominate a secondary should be interesting.

Hopefully the "great white hype" and vets can instill some work ethic in Kelley. We need his size in the redzone. Thomas plays bigger than 6-2, but 6-4 is tough to cover no matter who it is.

The D should get some more rest this year during the course of the games with McNabb scurring around. Last year the D was on the field too much to get anything done.

McNabb was a pro-bowler and NFC contender when the Eagles were under fire for not giving him any weapons. Thomas will have a big year; do not miss him in fantasy with the last picks.

The FS position is making me hesitant to claim any real success this season when it comes to the "D". With the attacking defense being installed, the deep ball will be a threat all year and we all know Landry will bite at the slightest pump and Daughety is hurt again plus his speed is not made for catching up to the ball.

Probably because Marko wasnt showing anything and this guy is.

Ya think?

No you idiot, Marko was tall and fast. That means he's obviously the next Andre Johnson. On Shanahan's tombstone it will be marked:

"Here lies the man who once cut Marko "Magic Hands" Mitchell

May God have mercy on his soul"

The guy also looks like he's kinda built, possibly a guy we can line up in the slot and send over the middle for a few yards. I think Santana is our deep threat, Devin's our all around guy, Malcolm is the redzone/fade target, and Fluery (or whatever) can be the Slot.

And I love the arm-chair GM's thinkin' they knew Marko Mitchell is gonna be a hoss. He may, but you can't know that from barely any action at all.

Archived