Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: ‘Skins need money’s worth from DT

TK

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-undersurveillanceredskins060310

‘Skins need money’s worth from DT

By Doug Farrar, Special to Yahoo! Sports

Editor’s note: Yahoo! Sports will examine the biggest weakness of the 2009 season for every team and explain how the franchise can address the issue. The series continues with the Redskins, who finished fourth in the NFC East (4-12).

Biggest problem in 2009: The Haynesworth contract albatross

The Washington Redskins have a long history of favoring expensive free agents over development through the NFL draft, and the franchise went all-out with the signing of former Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth in February of 2009. The deal, which is worth $100 million over seven years, pays Haynesworth a guaranteed $41 million, including a $21 million option bonus he received in April of this year. When the Redskins wrote that particular check, the only remaining member of the front office was owner Daniel Snyder – after a disastrous campaign, Snyder cleaned house once again and brought head coach Mike Shanahan on board to run the football side of things. For his defensive coordinator, Shanahan hired Jim Haslett, a longtime coach who has put together many different kinds of defenses. Haslett will bring a 3-4 base defense to the nation’s capital, replacing former defensive coordinator Greg Blache’s 4-3. Four-man fronts are better for stat-conscious defensive tackles, and Haynesworth counts himself as one.

In defenses such as the one Haslett will run, there’s a two-gap nose tackle who is primarily responsible for soaking up blockers so that ends and linebackers can make plays around him. Thus, fewer sacks and fewer tackles. Haynesworth, who has always made plays on his own despite handling double and triple teams on every snap, feels betrayed by an organization that “promised” him one kind of defense and is now presenting him with quite another. After finding himself the subject of several trade rumors and antagonizing the new coaching staff with his absence from voluntary OTAs, it would appear that player and team are stuck with each other.

Haynesworth may be unhappy with the 3-4 concept, but when the Redskins went with a three-man front in 2009, he was still able to get past offensive linemen and make things happen. Two plays from Washington’s Week 15 loss to the Giants clued me into Haynesworth’s potential in a 3-4, and how the overall scheme might work under Haslett.

The 2010 solution:

The first play (Figure 1) happened with the Giants at their own 37-yard line and 4:21 left in the first quarter. With New York up 7-0, Eli Manning(notes) lined his offense up in an I-formation set. The Redskins countered with a five-man front – four linemen with their hands down – and rookie “end backer” Brian Orakpo(notes) (98) standing up on the right side of the line.

1275535479.jpg

Figure 1

On this play, Haynesworth (92) employed a swim move to jet inside as Manning threw an incompletion on a quick out to receiver Hakeem Nicks(notes). The Redskins were actually set up to stop the run, and they ran a slide to the right side with Haynesworth cutting back. He still has the ability to disrupt in the middle, able to hand-fight his way through blockers. Before Haynesworth shuts down the idea of playing the nose in this role, he should watch some film of Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff(notes), who has recorded up 21½ sacks since his rookie season of 2005 – just two fewer than Haynesworth has amassed since 2005 in supposedly more favorable settings for sack numbers.

1275535517.jpg

Figure 2

The second play (Figure 2) came with 8:36 left in the second quarter, and showed how the Redskins can bring pressure with three linemen in a zone drop/blitz look. The Giants went five-wide from the Washington 10 on third-and-7. At the snap, tackle Lorenzo Alexander(notes) dropped into the mid-zone as all three linebackers backed out into coverage. While end Andre Carter(notes) dealt with a double team on the defensive left side, Haynesworth and Orakpo employed a simple-end-tackle stunt with Orakpo moving inside from a wide-end stance, the kind of thing Haynesworth did with Kyle Vanden Bosch(notes) in Tennessee a million times. Out of a three-man line, with the least amount of personnel pressure, Haynesworth was able to blast around the edge and sack Manning for a 10-yard loss.

Haslett has said that Haynesworth would play all over the line, which is par for the course with 3-4 teams these days – it’s very rare that any defense will play with three down linemen all the time. While it’s unclear where Haynesworth is getting his notions about what kinds of 3-4 fronts the Redskins will be employing, he’s got the talent to do serious damage no matter the scheme. When he attends the team’s mandatory OTA in mid-June, and training camp after that, perhaps he and Haslett will come to an understanding. Haslett could start by pointing out the fact that his best defensive linemen have already done good things in the defense Haynesworth professes to hate.

Um, Haynesworth having a pretty good year was our biggest problem in 2009? Maybe they forgot about our entire offense since we didn't really field one? :whoknows:

Forgot to mention that this was a very good analysis as to how Haynesworth could actually play if he wanted to.

While it’s unclear where Haynesworth is getting his notions about what kinds of 3-4 fronts the Redskins will be employing, he’s got the talent to do serious damage no matter the scheme.

Seriously? Hmm let me think... the MEDIA maybe?! :doh:

HST21, you are right, that is a typo in figure 1. The linebacker behind Orakpo (98) should not be in that diagram IMO.

However, this does not discount the main point of this article, which is that Haynesworth (and by extension the defense) has had success playing from a 3-man front, and that these defensive schemes should clue us in to how the defense will look in 2010.

EDIT: I think people are missing the real value of this article...I'd almost suggest ignore the sub-headline "Biggest Problem...." and the first paragraph. Focus on the rest of the article.

....Haynesworth, who has always made plays on his own despite handling double and triple teams on every snap, feels betrayed by an organization that “promised” him one kind of defense and is now presenting him with quite another.

I think its a great article that echoes the same sentiments many of us have already expressed in regards to Haynesworth abilities to damage in any scheme at any position 3-4 NT/DE.

But, i still have yet to see one quote from Haynesworth where he states anything resembling a negative comment about the change to the 3-4.

He's so upset that he's said the following:

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2010/03/22/albert-haynesworth-speaks-about-the-3-4-offseason-workouts/

“Well, I don’t want to really say that. I mean, we’ve got a good coach and all that stuff. I’m just going to be, whatever they ask me to do, that’s what I’m going to do. I’m not going to be a distraction or anything so I’m just going to do what they ask me to do.”

“Well, I told Mike this and he was like, ‘Well, I wanted you to train with our guys’ and all that stuff and I said, ‘I totally respect that and all that but to get me back to where I want to be I need the serious training. I need the stuff that got me where I’m at.’ We do a lot of specialized stuff for me, a lot of training. My trainer, he comes up with some great stuff that’s just for me, basically, not just maybe a defensive lineman, but just for me. Stuff that can improve on to help me get stronger and things that’ll help me focus better. So nothing against them or whatever but if I want to get back to being the best defensive tackle in the NFL then I need to do this.”

“I think with [shanahan] being at the helm it’s going to be awesome. I don’t think you’ll hear anything from Dan Snyder as far as commenting on the team other than maybe some little stuff like regular owners. I think it’s all going to be in Mike’s hands and Bruce Allen’s hands.”

While it’s unclear where Haynesworth is getting his notions about what kinds of 3-4 fronts the Redskins will be employing, he’s got the talent to do serious damage no matter the scheme. When he attends the team’s mandatory OTA in mid-June, and training camp after that, perhaps he and Haslett will come to an understanding. Haslett could start by pointing out the fact that his best defensive linemen have already done good things in the defense Haynesworth professes to hate.

Soooooo, AH potrayed as the bad guy again, with leading questions from the media..

1. He is working out with a trainer and program specific for him, that made him a dominating NFL DT. We (and he) will know the results of that in camp and during the season. If he looks better than he did last year from a strength, quickness and endurance perspective, then next offseason may become a challenge in terms of getting him in. If he looks like a beached whale and can't play, I am sure that the coaches and his team mates will get him back to Redkins Park for training. Somehow, I doubt any trainer would want (or allow) a premier client to report for duty in that shape, as their reputation is on the line as well.

2. Yes, he is not getting immersed in the defense, and his new team mates, and isn't getting any time with Haslett. While I don't think thats the best outcome, it remains to be seen if that will have a major impact on his performance during the season. On the other hand, it does add the opportunity for a different player or players to get more reps, improving depth. I think the detractors here need to take a breath and wait to judge what actually happens, instead of might have beens.

3. You know, having been hired for one thing before myself, and ending up doing something completely different at the request of the organization (you can do this other thing or not have a job), I can empathsize with AH. How is he supposed to react? Its like an Olympic 100 yard sprinter being told he won't compete in that event, but will run the 2nd leg of the 4x100 relay (or he won't run at all); or someone elected as President being told he is now the VP instead. I can just imagine the uproar from either of those two events. Considering that, AH has been quiet and the only distraction is originating with the EntertaMedia.

4. Let go of your anger and anst -- the dark side are they :laugh:

Haynesworth has made a tempest out of a teapot. Instead of coming in and SEEING what the anticipated role is going to be and work things out he is only dreading the 'inevitable' and waiting until camp to have those hard conversations with the coaches.

For a guy that wants to put up numbers, not being here for the offseason program is not the way to get Haslett or Shanahan to modify things to make life easier for #92.

In that respect, Haynesworth has a poor read on human nature.

Soooooo, AH potrayed as the bad guy again, with leading questions from the media..

1. He is working out with a trainer and program specific for him, that made him a dominating NFL DT. We (and he) will know the results of that in camp and during the season. If he looks better than he did last year from a strength, quickness and endurance perspective, then next offseason may become a challenge in terms of getting him in. If he looks like a beached whale and can't play, I am sure that the coaches and his team mates will get him back to Redkins Park for training. Somehow, I doubt any trainer would want (or allow) a premier client to report for duty in that shape, as their reputation is on the line as well.

2. Yes, he is not getting immersed in the defense, and his new team mates, and isn't getting any time with Haslett. While I don't think thats the best outcome, it remains to be seen if that will have a major impact on his performance during the season. On the other hand, it does add the opportunity for a different player or players to get more reps, improving depth. I think the detractors here need to take a breath and wait to judge what actually happens, instead of might have beens.

3. You know, having been hired for one thing before myself, and ending up doing something completely different at the request of the organization (you can do this other thing or not have a job), I can empathsize with AH. How is he supposed to react? Its like an Olympic 100 yard sprinter being told he won't compete in that event, but will run the 2nd leg of the 4x100 relay (or he won't run at all); or someone elected as President being told he is now the VP instead. I can just imagine the uproar from either of those two events. Considering that, AH has been quiet and the only distraction is originating with the EntertaMedia.

4. Let go of your anger and anst -- the dark side are they :laugh:

1) This is an old article.

2) He's clearly displeased with the idea of playing nose tackle.

3) Your analogies don't work at all.

4) Do the job for which you are hired. Your job is to do what your boss says. I'm sick of the excuses being made for this guy. He signed a contract, so adhere to it. If you don't want to do that, then quit.

Beg tell which part of his contract AH has not adhered to?

Beg tell where I said that he's not adhering to his contract?

I'm saying that he should just do his job like everyone else on the team is. People are told to play different positions than what a previous coach wanted them to play. It happens. Man up and don't whine about it.

And yes, one can whine passively.

He will show up for mandatory camp and this stuff will be old news

It all depends on how he performs. He's the highest paid defensive player in the league. Playing well, even pro-bowl level well, isn't enough. He's got to be dominant to live up to that contract. And the point is that he's endangering his ability to live up to his potential. My reading is that Haynesworth simply doesn't have the makeup to be a team leader. That's not a knock really - there are plenty of great contributers on any team that simply don't have either the talent or inclination to be leaders and you desperately need capable folks like that to make a good team. But the reality is that in the NFL, contract size matters - lots of players are looking at him and taking their cues from him. So at the very least, he needs to be a good soldier and get in line.

If he does show up to training camp, is a good soldier in camp and goes out and not only plays hard, but plays within the scheme and dominates, then yeah, all will be forgotten. It is not in anyone's best interest to keep the feud going, not in AH's and not in the team's. But he's pretty much snubbed his nose at management by not showing up to the minicamps (the workouts are one thing, the minicamps another).

Personally I blame pretty much everyone involved. Haynesworth is being a baby, Shanny & Haslett haven't shown true leadership in my opinion (an leader creates buy-in he doesn't simply demand it). I'll probably get flamed from both sides for that but so be it. That said, it's nowhere near an irretrievable situation - all it's going to take to fix the matter is for the coaches and AH to play nice and for AH to not sulk, play hard, and work his tail off to get up to speed in the scheme.

Personally I blame pretty much everyone involved. Haynesworth is being a baby, Shanny & Haslett haven't shown true leadership in my opinion (an leader creates buy-in he doesn't simply demand it). I'll probably get flamed from both sides for that but so be it.
LOL. Yeah. You know what happens to people in the middle of the road, right?
That said, it's nowhere near an irretrievable situation - all it's going to take to fix the matter is for the coaches and AH to play nice and for AH to not sulk, play hard, and work his tail off to get up to speed in the scheme.
I disagree. If Big Al considers himself a man, he should get himself into good shape, and be the best team player possible. If his current approach doesn't work by preseason, it's all Al's fault. For once nobody can make the excuses either that our head coach is too inexperienced (Zorn), or too old-school (Gibbs). If Al can't get it done under Shanahan, he only has himself to blame.

It's not that old. Nobody has heard from him since that article, and coincidentally he's doing exactly what he said he'd do! But now, all of a sudden, it's because he's unhappy about the 3-4.

Which article? The yahoo article or the article that includes the only actual quotes from Haynesworth?

2) He's clearly displeased with the idea of playing nose tackle.

Just for the sake of accuracy Haynesworth is not going to the NT Kemo is the NT.

Haslett's plan was never to have Haynesworth as the primary NT.

He's going to move him all around and he'll even play 4-3 DT (3-tech).

Methinks you have your mind made up to be against Haynesworth because in the article he's answering a question.

And he didn't say he was even displeased with playing NT he said this:

Schein: “Where would you see it, end or tackle in a 3-4 defense?”

Haynesworth: . … So if it was me, in this situation I would say definitely end, you know, definitely end.”

4) Do the job for which you are hired. Your job is to do what your boss says. I'm sick of the excuses being made for this guy. He signed a contract, so adhere to it. If you don't want to do that, then quit.

LoL, how is he not doing his job?

Archived