Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: ‘Skins need money’s worth from DT

TK

Personally I blame pretty much everyone involved. Haynesworth is being a baby, Shanny & Haslett haven't shown true leadership in my opinion (an leader creates buy-in he doesn't simply demand it).

Really? Every single player is there except for Haynesworth and the coaches haven't created buy-in? Seriously?

It's not that old. Nobody has heard from him since that article, and coincidentally he's doing exactly what he said he'd do! But now, all of a sudden, it's because he's unhappy about the 3-4.

Dude. He's clearly unhappy with the idea.

Which article? The yahoo article or the article that includes the only actual quotes from Haynesworth?

Just for the sake of accuracy Haynesworth is not going to the NT Kemo is the NT.

Haslett's plan was never to have Haynesworth as the primary NT.

He's going to move him all around and he'll even play 4-3 DT (3-tech).

Methinks you have your mind made up to be against Haynesworth because in the article he's answering a question.

And he didn't say he was even displeased with playing NT he said this:

LoL, how is he not doing his job?

It's incredible how hard it is for people to induce anything from a person's words except for what's said verbatim. I'm just baffled by how frequently that is displayed on this board.

I'm also confused as to how people can quote my posts in their response but still not have read them clearly.

I'm also confused as to how people can quote my posts in their response but still not have read them clearly.

You must not be married if you don't understand the "I'm talking about what I heard, not what you said" routine.

You must not be married if you don't understand the "I'm talking about what I heard, not what you said" routine.

Which is quite similiar to the what Newcliche got from the article.

Despite what Haynesworth actually said he choose to read between the lines and understand how Haynesworth really feels.

Which is quite similiar to the what Newcliche got from the article.

Despite what Haynesworth actually said he choose to read between the lines and understand how Haynesworth really feels.

Okay, I'll quote him here for you:

Schein: “Is that something where you’ve expressed to the coaches that you’re completely miscast? When I look at Albert Haynesworth when you compete year-in and year-out for Defensive Player of the Year it’s because of what you do at tackle in the 4-3. Have you talked to Mike Shanahan or Jim Haslett about how you’ve never played in the 3-4?”

Haynesworth: “I think they know that. I really haven’t had a whole lot of conversations about it or whatever [with] them. You know, just, I don’t know, I guess whatever. I don’t know what you want me to do or say. I’m under contract there so nothing I can really say about it.”

Now can you explain to me how he sounds like he is not displeased? He in no way expresses excitement, and he doesn't even try to fake it. If someone says "whatever", then he's not wanting to do something. If you're made to do something that you don't want to do, then you're not going to be happy about it.

Look, I don't "have it out" for Haynesworth or anything. I hope that he comes in and tears it up. I think that he's a prick for not coming to the camps like he easily could have done just as the rest of his team did, but I'm not trying to crucify the guy. He didn't kill anyone, he's just being selfish. That's all that I'm getting at.

You people are acting like I'm spitting on the grave of your grandmother or something.

Dude. He's clearly unhappy with the idea.

So what? People keep saying that he's not here because he's unhappy with the 3-4, but he explained already that he's planning on playing for the team and is absent because he's training elsewhere. He clearly has other reasons for not being here, but reporters only focus on the 3-4 thing, which is blowing the situation way out of proportion.

So what? People keep saying that he's not here because he's unhappy with the 3-4, but he explained already that he's planning on playing for the team and is absent because he's training elsewhere. He clearly has other reasons for not being here, but reporters only focus on the 3-4 thing, which is blowing the situation way out of proportion.

He should be here for the camps. I don't even know why I got involved with the other stuff, because I don't really care about it.

He should be there. Every player should be there. That's the only thing that personally bothers me.

He should be here for the camps. I don't even know why I got involved with the other stuff, because I don't really care about it.

He should be there. Every player should be there. That's the only thing that personally bothers me.

He should be there, but I know there have been other good players that don't show up to camp for whatever reason. Everyone makes a big deal that they're not there, but then they go and have a good season.

He should be there, but I know there have been other good players that don't show up to camp for whatever reason. Everyone makes a big deal that they're not there, but then they go and have a good season.

I don't care what any player does. They should ALL be there. Haynesworth happens to be the only one who's gotten $41 million, is viewed as crucial to our defense, is entering a new system in which he's never played, is under a new future-Hall of Fame coach, new general manager, new trainers, is viewed as a leader, and is the ONLY one not in camp.

He's affecting others as they don't get to learn from him or learn the system with the proper pieces in place. It DOES screw the team, but he doesn't care.

I don't care what any player does. They should ALL be there. Haynesworth happens to be the only one who's gotten $41 million, is viewed as crucial to our defense, is entering a new system in which he's never played, is under a new future-Hall of Fame coach, new general manager, new trainers, is viewed as a leader, and is the ONLY one not in camp.

He's affecting others as they don't get to learn from him or learn the system with the proper pieces in place. It DOES screw the team, but he doesn't care.

How much mentoring does he do anyway? I don't think I want a guy like that to be a leader on this team, regardless of how much money he makes. I don't think anyone sees him as a leader either. He made the money he got with us because of his performance on the field, not his leadership abilities.

Really? Every single player is there except for Haynesworth and the coaches haven't created buy-in? Seriously?

Yeah, absolutely. First of all, every player hasn't made all of the workouts/OTAs although obviously none has been as important as Haynesworth. But he's the most important guy on defense and I do think they dropped the ball. So yeah, they got everyone (almost) except the most important guy.

He came in on the first day of voluntary workouts to explain his position. Things clearly went downhill from there. I'm not saying he had a good argument, far from it. But from the outside it seems to me that AH and the coaching staff have gotten into a pissing match starting from that first day (when Haynesworth was at least making an attempt to explain his position).

Should Haynesworth suck it up and come in? Sure. But part of good leadership is avoiding unnecessary fights and I think this was one. I learned that in the Army and it is no less true in industry. Yes, sometimes you need to put your foot down, but it's often better if you can find a way to get what you need without the confrontation and the needless loss of face from your subordinate. I could be wrong of course - maybe Hayneswoth wasn't going to listen to anything and is truly incorrigible , but I really think there's blame to go around.

How much mentoring does he do anyway? I don't think I want a guy like that to be a leader on this team, regardless of how much money he makes. I don't think anyone sees him as a leader either. He made the money he got with us because of his performance on the field, not his leadership abilities.

When you're paid like that, you're a leader by default whether it's earned or otherwise.

And I didn't mean mentoring. I meant actually playing next to the guy who will presumably start. You know, that chemistry thing that real teams have.

Yeah, absolutely. First of all, every player hasn't made all of the workouts/OTAs although obviously none has been as important as Haynesworth. But he's the most important guy on defense and I do think they dropped the ball. So yeah, they got everyone (almost) except the most important guy.

He came in on the first day of voluntary workouts to explain his position. Things clearly went downhill from there. I'm not saying he had a good argument, far from it. But from the outside it seems to me that AH and the coaching staff have gotten into a pissing match starting from that first day (when Haynesworth was at least making an attempt to explain his position).

Should Haynesworth suck it up and come in? Sure. But part of good leadership is avoiding unnecessary fights and I think this was one. I learned that in the Army and it is no less true in industry. Yes, sometimes you need to put your foot down, but it's often better if you can find a way to get what you need without the confrontation and the needless loss of face from your subordinate. I could be wrong of course - maybe Hayneswoth wasn't going to listen to anything and is truly incorrigible , but I really think there's blame to go around.

I'm going with Haynesworth being a dick on this one.

I don't think that there's a player in the league who would question Shanahan.

1) This is an old article.

I fail to see your point. It is the article posted the the OP, and the one under discussion.

2) He's clearly displeased with the idea of playing nose tackle.

Well, I can see that only if "a lack of genuine enthusiasm" for a loaded question asked by a Mediot, equates to "clear displeasure". Does he have a preference, sure he does. Does he state that he will play where he is told to play, sure he does. Does he state that he won't make waves, sure he does.

3) Your analogies don't work at all.

Fine. I like my made-up stories better than your nearly constant made-up story of AH "being a dick on this one".

4) Do the job for which you are hired. Your job is to do what your boss says. I'm sick of the excuses being made for this guy. He signed a contract, so adhere to it. If you don't want to do that, then quit.

He absolutely is doing the job for which he is hired. If his contract called for it, he would be doing it. That's his job, to meet the terms of his contract. Not to listen to the opinions of people on a fan message board, and try and live his life and do his job according to their interpretation of what his job should be. If Bruce Allen, Shanahan, or Haslet stand in front of a microphone, and say that he is not fulfilling the terms of his contract with the team, I will listen to what they have to say, and judge AH accordingly. Until then all opinions on this matter are moot. If you want to pretend yours is more valid than those who might disagree with you, thats fine, but its hardly conclusive or factual.

I suspect we would all be happier if he was attending all the voluntary team activities. The difference between that belief and calling someone out is the gap I am unwilling to breach without something more tangible than reading between the lines.

I'm going with Haynesworth being a dick on this one.

Granted, he is. But I want you to guess if there were some dicks in my infantry squad that I had to deal with.... Or some completely socially incompetent engineers in various tech companies... Leadership is, in part, learning to deal with the dicks and get the most out of them. To me, and this is just me, a great leader is one who can get better performance from the group than they can get by themselves. And by that matrix, at least so far, the current leadership is failing with Haynesworth.

I don't think that there's a player in the league who would question Shanahan.

Well, clearly there's at least ONE. ;)

Man we need to stop creating threads talking about AH... Why are you worried about what Snyder paid AH... when he is on the field, he is the best on our D .... he was great last year even with the poor conditioning he was in (ALL THANKS TO REDSKINS Offseason Training resume)... remember those 4th and inches... lets wait until he gets back for the mandatory session... he has promised that he will be in great shape.. if he does not then yeah all you haters can babble.

But, i still have yet to see one quote from Haynesworth where he states anything resembling a negative comment about the change to the 3-4.

Well he did say this in that interview, which seems to perhaps resemble a negative comment about the change.

“I think they know that. I really haven’t had a whole lot of conversations about it or whatever [with] them. You know, just, I don’t know, I guess whatever. I don’t know what you want me to do or say. I’m under contract there so nothing I can really say about it.”

I don't have a huge beef with him not being here for conditioning, however, if he comes in out of shape I will have a serious beef.

I also am interested in him being at the mandatory OTAs in the next couple weeks. That should be REALLY telling on how he feels about the situation.

I am all for him to be successful and have a great year. I wish he was here, to build what most winning teams build, especially with it being the first year of the new regime.

It seems he didn't do too bad playing a NT type player when we ran a three line front. Maybe we just do that and tell him, you are a DT and not the nose. :ols:

Also, Jay Ratliff is 6'4". Jason Ferguson is 6'3" and both are lighter than AH. Does two or three inches really make that big of a difference? I don't see why AH can't be a dominate force at NT if he just does it.

Beg tell where I said that he's not adhering to his contract?

He signed a contract, so adhere to it. [/Quote]

Sort of implies you are saying he isn't adhering to it.

I wish he was here, but he isn't required to in any manner. However, if he misses the Mandatory OTAs it will be VERY telling.

Archived