Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cnn.com - Green Bay Packers players questioned in alleged assaults of two women

Gracelander

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/05/green.bay.packers.assault/index.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- Seven players from the Green Bay Packers were questioned as part of an investigation into the alleged sexual assaults of two women early Saturday at a Wisconsin resort, authorities said.

Six of the men were later released and are not considered suspects. A seventh man, who was not identified, was also questioned and released, and remains under investigation, according to Lake Delton police Chief Thomas Dorner.

Police in Lake Delton, about 50 miles north of Madison, were alerted to the alleged assaults after the two women placed a 911 call at 4:17 a.m. Saturday, a police statement said.

The women directed officers to a condo at the Wilderness Resort Golf Cabins where the alleged assaults occurred, the statement said.

Dorner said the women had been invited back to the rental condo by the seventh man after the women met the group of players earlier in the night at a local bar.

Seven men at the condo were asked to go to the police department for questioning. Six of the men -- all listed on the NFL team's current roster -- were later released and are not suspected of any criminal activity, the statement said. The seventh man was also released, but "his involvement in the incident is still under investigation."

The Packers released a statement Saturday saying "we are aware of the reported incident and still are gathering facts."

The men were staying at the resort after participating in a charity golf tournament on Friday, Dorner said.

Dorner described the incident as a "he said, she said situation," with the seventh player claiming it was a "consensual sexual act."

Dorner said police "weren't able to develop probable cause to make any arrests at this point" and will forward all information to the district attorney's office, who will then decide whether charges will be filed.

The incident comes less than two months after Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was suspended by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell after being accused of raping a woman at a Milledgeville, Georgia, bar. Roethlisberger had faced the threat of criminal charges in the case, but prosecutors ultimately decided that they could not prove that a crime had been committed.

I don't condone rape, but these two women have nobody to blame but themselves. When a guy asks you to come back to his condo after meeting in a bar late at night, it's not to hangout and watch TV. They had to know something sexual was intended. They put themselves in that bad situation. I doubt any prosecutor will touch this case.

the 6 who are not under suspicion:

OLB Clay Matthews

QB Matt Flynn

OG Josh Sitton

FB Korey Hall

OLB Brad Jones

S Khalil Jones

Not sure what to think of this. I always liked that the Packers tended to be high-character players, but with Jolly and his drugs (and headbutting), Havner and his DUI, and now this, well... I dunno. :(

Update:

CB Brandon Underwood is the accused player. He's somewhere around 4th or 5th CB on the roster behind Woodson, Harris, and Williams, and maybe Lee.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/95693179.html

When apprised that the investigation centered on Underwood, 23, several players who wished to remain anonymous said he had been a problem since he was drafted in the sixth round in 2009 out of Cincinnati. Cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt talked last season about Underwood being immature early in his rookie season.

Well, I had heard he had promise to become a good CB, but it sounds like his head may not be in the right place.

I wouldn't be surprised if they let him go

Its just a damn shame, because he's supposed to have potential With Woodson and Harris in their mid 30s, and Harris coming off that ACL injury, we need to develop our DBs for the future. But at the same time, I want a team of good-character guys.

He's still a very young guy, though, having just been drafted last season, and has some room to mature. Jermichael Finley had issues his rookie year being immature and self-absorbed, but you look at what's become of him in such short time and he became an impact team-player. Donald Driver dealt drugs and stole cars back in his early teens, and now he's writing children's books. Charles Woodson over-indulged in the night-life scene before coming to GB, but we took a chance on him and now he's DPOTY.

I guess what I'm saying, is while he's still very low on the depth chart and mostly a depth player, I would feel comfortable holding onto him and hoping he can turn things around as he's still very young. If he doesn't mature, we can always dump him off later.

edit: also, Mike McCarthy was just singing his praise the other day at OTAs saying Underwood is the most improved player on the team over the last year, so it sounds like they were pretty high on him before this.

Its just a damn shame, because he's supposed to have potential With Woodson and Harris in their mid 30s, and Harris coming off that ACL injury, we need to develop our DBs for the future. But at the same time, I want a team of good-character guys.

He's still a very young guy, though, having just been drafted last season, and has some room to mature. Jermichael Finley had issues his rookie year being immature and self-absorbed, but you look at what's become of him in such short time and he became an impact team-player. Donald Driver dealt drugs and stole cars back in his early teens, and now he's writing children's books. Charles Woodson over-indulged in the night-life scene before coming to GB, but we took a chance on him and now he's DPOTY.

I guess what I'm saying, is while he's still very low on the depth chart and mostly a depth player, I would feel comfortable holding onto him and hoping he can turn things around as he's still very young. If he doesn't mature, we can always dump him off later.

Yes, I think that it's a great idea to keep perpetrators of sex crimes on your team because they might possibly provide something at some point.

Reward rapists. Seems to be the theme this offseason.

Yes, I think that it's a great idea to keep perpetrators of sex crimes on your team because they might possibly provide something at some point.

Reward rapists. Seems to be the theme this offseason.

we don't know what happened. If he matures (I mean that not in a better player type of way, but being a more mature person), then I wouldn't feel terrible about having him on the team. He needs his teammates to beat some sense into him.

we don't know what happened. If he matures (I mean that not in a better player type of way, but being a more mature person), then I wouldn't feel terrible about having him on the team. He needs his teammates to beat some sense into him.

Oh Jesus. It's the Roethlisberger argument all over again.

He should be in JAIL, not in the NFL.

If it were your mother or sister, then I doubt that you'd be singing the same tune or playing the "We don't know what happened" card. But, you know, he's on your favorite team, so I guess that we should just let him mature.

Oh Jesus. It's the Roethlisberger argument all over again.

He should be in JAIL, not in the NFL.

If it were your mother or sister, then I doubt that you'd be singing the same tune or playing the "We don't know what happened" card. But, you know, he's on your favorite team, so I guess that we should just let him mature.

We don't know anything about anything, really, other than that Underwood was involved. We don't know a damn thing about these women other than that they're 31 and 33. I know plenty about people I know, which gives me some basis to judge what may have happened. I don't know a damn thing about those women, and really, I don't know a damn thing about Underwood outside of his limited presence on the football field, so I have absolutely nothing on which to judge the situation.

As for Roethlesberger, I haven't judged him, either. Maybe he has a problem since he was accused twice, or maybe he's famous so there are a bunch of gold-diggers trying to get a piece of his wallet. I just don't know.

We don't know anything about anything, really, other than that Underwood was involved. We don't know a damn thing about these women other than that they're 31 and 33. I know plenty about people I know, which gives me some basis to judge what may have happened. I don't know a damn thing about those women, and really, I don't know a damn thing about Underwood outside of his limited presence on the football field, so I have absolutely nothing on which to judge the situation.

As for Roethlesberger, I haven't judged him, either. Maybe he has a problem since he was accused twice, or maybe he's famous so there are a bunch of gold-diggers trying to get a piece of his wallet. I just don't know.

Tells me everything that I need to know about your judgment of character. Debate over.

well, you got me there! :rolleyes:

Great response. :thumbsup:

You really don't want to get into that conversation with NC21. While his reasons are good and his intentions good, on this topic, its like he's on a Holy Crusade.

I won't apologize for not defending rapists.

Are you saying those types of women don't exist?

I'm stating the facts about rape and sexual assault as I have in many threads in defense of rapists.

thanks for the advice, bud. :cheers:
No problem. Just figured I'd try to save you the frustration :) Or at least warn you so that you can go in ready to be frustrated :ols:

The truth can be the ultimate frustration for those who don't like it.

I don't condone rape, but these two women have nobody to blame but themselves. When a guy asks you to come back to his condo after meeting in a bar late at night, it's not to hangout and watch TV. They had to know something sexual was intended. They put themselves in that bad situation. I doubt any prosecutor will touch this case.

That's right, blame the victims. No means no, no matter where in the process one is. Absolution of men who don't take no for an answer is anathema, and not to be tolerated. It's the attitude above that continues the climate that men can do whatever they want and they don't have to take any responsibility for themselves. Women/girls are the only ones who have to be responsible.

This is a male problem and men have to solve it.

That's right, blame the victims. No means no, no matter where in the process one is. Absolution of men who don't take no for an answer is anathema, and not to be tolerated. It's the attitude above that continues the climate that men can do whatever they want and they don't have to take any responsibility for themselves. Women/girls are the only ones who have to be responsible.

If a drunk woman is walking down Route 1 in College Park at 1:30 AM on Thirsty Thursday Night and gets hit by a drunk driver, then it's definitely her fault. I mean, she was drunk, she knew what she was getting into. And, of course, the drunk guy didn't know what he was doing because he was drunk.

That's how stupid rapist defenders/survivor blamers sound.

Wow, dude. Wow.

Rapists rape. The women or men who survive the rape are in no way at fault. Are they putting themselves in a risky situation? Sure. Are they the ones perpetrating the rape? No, because they're not at fault.

Of course, if we lived by your standards, then rape survivors would be in jail because they incited violence. Sounds pretty silly, no?

No, I said that these women knew what was expected when they went back to his condo. They should have said "No, it's late. How about meeting somewhere some other time?" You are giving women a free pass for being dumb sluts. If you act like a slut, then you will be treated like a slut. You are saying women can be as irresponsible as they want. Eventually, your luck will run out when you keep playing with fire. There's a HUGE difference of going back to a guy's apartment at 2 a.m. after meeting him in a bar versus someone breaking into your house to assault you or someone assaulting you in a parking lot after work. I don't give ANYBODY a free pass on irresponsible behavior. And don't assume that these women are not lying. If they would meet a guy in a bar and go back to his place at 2 a.m., then they are not above lying to police.

Wow, dude. Wow.

Rapists rape. The women or men who survive the rape are in no way at fault. Are they putting themselves in a risky situation? Sure. Are they the ones perpetrating the rape? No, because they're not at fault.

Of course, if we lived by your standards, then rape survivors would be in jail because they incited violence. Sounds pretty silly, no?

If you act like a slut, then you will be treated like a slut. Out of all the NFL sexual assault cases, this one looks the most like the women are trying to cash-in for banging an NFL player. I usually give the "victims" the benefit of the doubt. I believe these 2 women are lying.

Police say the two women are from Milwaukee and met the suspect in a local bar....the three reportedly went back to the cabin.

"The male subject is saying no it was consensual intercourse/contact," said Chief Dorner.

"So you have a he said she said?"

"Correct," said Chief Dorner.

That 7th player was not arrested and police call the discrepancy in the women's story, troubling.

"At first they're saying there's multiple suspects and then we get into the investigation further and now they're saying there's only one," said Chief Dorner.

The Sauk County D.A. will have the case sometime next week and will then decide whether to press charges against that seventh, unnamed player.

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/news/local/95739579.html

I know alot of people will automatically side with the Women, which is wrong (its just like when children are involved) but people should know...a 3 way is kinda hard to force on someone...

Either way, its sad as I do believe he's married with 2 children. But NFL teams shouldn't punish someone for affairs.

Archived