Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rick Maese Twitter: Kyle Shanahan: Portis is starting RB into training camp.

GenMgr

Good. But the starting RB is simply the first in the rotation in this scheme, or so it would seem.

I'm not too concerned with CP being teh starter, so much as how much wear he'll take. He's still quality, but he isn't what he was in 2004. We'll need Parker and Johnson, and maybe Westbrook if he joins, to aid.

Yep, he is just the first horse outta the gate. We will have the dreaded running back by committee.

Why dreaded? It keeps everyone's legs fresh and has been the staple of the best rushing teams around the league for a few years. We're a little late to that show, actually.

kyle knows the value of RB depth after his dad watch 14 starting RBs go down with various tears, fractures, and amputations during his last season in denver. i don't think there was ever much doubt that portis would be the "starter," but he hasn't exactly been cal ripken jr. these past couple seasons, so that title doesn't mean anything right now.

kyle knows the value of RB depth after his dad watch 14 starting RBs go down with various tears, fractures, and amputations during his last season in denver. i don't think there was ever much doubt that portis would be the "starter," but he hasn't exactly been cal ripken jr. these past couple seasons, so that title doesn't mean anything right now.

I think you mean Mike. Kyle was never in Denver. But I digest...:silly:

EDIT: reread the start of your post. Didn't see "dad" in it the first time.

];7559517']Good. But the starting RB is simply the first in the rotation in this scheme' date=' or so it would seem.

I'm not too concerned with CP being teh starter, so much as how much wear he'll take. He's still quality, but he isn't what he was in 2004. We'll need Parker and Johnson, and maybe Westbrook if he joins, to aid.[/quote']

Agreed. I think a lot of people overrate the whole 'starter' thing. It will be RB by committee for sure. CP may get more carries overall and be the 'starter' but he will be sharing time for sure and if LJ or one other one gets hot then expect CP to see a drop in carries.

As long as the team is winning it doesn't matter who is 'starting'.

I was wondering to myself, after reading a recent Larry Johnson article, if an "LJ-ish" situation could occur with Portis. The thought was that IF Portis happened to get cut, this year, I was curious if the discussions here might touch on the fact that Clinton is on track to become the Washington Redskins all-time leading Rusher.

I knew he wouldnt get cut but if he did, you just know that would be the discussion here. Oooooooh.. What if 'ol Riggo pulled a Tanya Harding on him. ha :silly: I'm joking, of course. That would be horrible.

I'm trying to learn how far off Clinton is from topping John Riggins. This article, from NFL.com, states that "Portis needs 1,370 yards to take the No. 1 spot away from Riggins." Is this figure still accurate?

I think it's obvious why Portis has been so "quiet" about this years expectations. He and Shanahan are planning on making history this year :)

I cant wait, man.. I can't wait.

HAIL!

Dear Clinton Portis, I just don't think you were into it last year, I hope you reach your pinnacle this year and prove the bastages wrong.

I think you could count on two hands the players that were into it last year. It never ceases to amaze me just how woefully unprofessional our team was run last year, and how naturally the players responded to the lack of accountability and unprofessional atmosphere. It's almost comical.

I think that Portis will not be alone in surprising people what he has left when properly motivated.

Archived