Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Al-Qaeda No. 3 Yazid reported killed by U.S. drone

SkinsHokieFan

Is he the actual #3 or the #3 in Pakikstan?

This was the ACTUAL #3.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127304113

The Egyptian-born al-Yazid, also known as Sheik Saeed al-Masri, was a founding member of al-Qaida and the group's prime conduit to Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahri. He was key to day-to-day control, with a hand in everything from finances to operational planning, the U.S. official said.
The shadowy, 55-year-old al-Yazid has been involved with Islamic extremist movements for nearly 30 years since he joined radical student groups led by fellow Egyptian al-Zawahri, now the No. 2 figure in al-Qaida after bin Laden.

In the early 1980s, al-Yazid served three years in an Egyptian prison for purported links to the group responsible for the 1981 assassination of Egyptian President Anwar Sadat. After his release, al-Yazid turned up in Afghanistan, where, according to al-Qaida's propaganda wing Al-Sabah, he became a founding member of the terrorist group.

He later followed bin Laden to Sudan and back to Afghanistan, where he served as al-Qaida's chief financial officer, managing secret bank accounts in the Persian Gulf that were used to help finance the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington. After the U.S. and its allies invaded Afghanistan in 2001, al-Yazid went into hiding for years. He surfaced in May 2007 during a 45-minute interview posted on the Web by Al-Sabah, in which he was introduced as the "official in charge" of the terrorist movement's operations in Afghanistan.

Those of you with looser mentalities can mock all you want. This was a BIG kill.

I always have mixed feelings about this kind of report. I'm VERY glad we got this guy, but from everything I read, the drones are causing huge blowback against us in Pakistan.

What good does it do to take out a handful of terrorists if we create a thousand more by our actions?

I always have mixed feelings about this kind of report. I'm VERY glad we got this guy, but from everything I read, the drones are causing huge blowback against us in Pakistan.

What good does it do to take out a handful of terrorists if we create a thousand more by our actions?

Dude. ANYTHING we do to try to get those who have already declared war on us and attacked us on 9/11 is going to cause "blowback". You have two choices. Give up or fight. Pick one and stop wringing your hands over the choice.

Dude. ANYTHING we do to try to get those who have already declared war on us and attacked us on 9/11 is going to cause "blowback". You have two choices. Give up or fight. Pick one and stop wringing your hands over the choice.

Maybe we have more than two choices. Thinking that we have only two choices has caused us a lot of trouble in the past.

I don't claim to have any easy solution, by the way. But I'm not automatically dismissive of the idea that killing thousands of civilians as collateral damage in our attacks might be a huge problem in the long run. SHF has more insight on that than I do.

Maybe we have more than two choices. Thinking that we have only two choices has caused us a lot of trouble in the past.

I don't claim to have any easy solution, by the way. But I'm not automatically dismissive of the idea that killing thousands of civilians as collateral damage in our attacks might be a huge problem in the long run. SHF has more insight on that than I do.

First of all, it's not thousands. The largest estimate is 700 and even that number is questionable because the Taliban and Al Qaeda targets and people on the ground there are going to, as a mater of course claim everyone is innocent.

And second, I don't dismiss the idea that collateral damage may cause problems in the future. I dismiss the idea that we should do nothing because of the fear that something bad may happen if we do something to kill al Qaeda and the Taliban who have allied with them. And I believe drones are the LEAST inflammatory thing we can do under the circumstances we are dealt.

First of all, it's not thousands. The largest estimate is 700 and even that number is questionable because the Taliban and Al Qaeda targets and people on the ground there are going to, as a mater of course claim everyone is innocent.

And second, I don't dismiss the idea that collateral damage may cause problems in the future. I dismiss the idea that we should do nothing because of the fear that something bad may happen if we do something to kill al Qaeda and the Taliban who have allied with them.

Oh, I dismiss that idea too. Doing nothing isn't going to work.

And I believe drones are the LEAST inflammatory thing we can do under the circumstances we are dealt.

That's what I'm not sure of.

Archived