Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Al-Qaeda No. 3 Yazid reported killed by U.S. drone

SkinsHokieFan

Another one bites the dust. Great job!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/31/AR2010053103617.html?hpid=topnews

Al-Qaeda's third-ranking operative, an Egyptian who was a founding member of the terrorist network and a key conduit to Osama bin Laden, has been killed in Pakistan, according to a statement Monday from al-Qaeda that U.S. intelligence officials believe is accurate.

A U.S. official said there is "strong reason" to believe that Mustafa Abu al-Yazid, known as Sheik Saeed al-Masri, apparently was killed by a CIA drone strike in Pakistan's tribal belt within the past two weeks.

The official described it as a significant victory against the terrorist group.

"Al-Masri was the group's chief operating officer, with a hand in everything from finances to operational planning," the official said. "He was also the organization's prime conduit to bin Laden and Zawahiri," he added, referring to al-Qaeda's No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri. "He was key to al-Qaeda's command and control."

Yazid, 54, was an original member of al-Qaeda's Shura leadership council and served as an adviser to bin Laden for more than 15 years. More recently, he was the group's chief organizational manager, in charge of finances and logistics, as well as a liaison to the Taliban and other extremist groups.

Yazid was part of the Egyptian contingent that has dominated al-Qaeda's leadership since the network's founding. He and Zawahiri served time in prison in the early 1980s for their role as conspirators in the 1981 assassination of Egyptian President Anwar Sadat.

Click link for rest

Sarge worked in Air Traffic Control while he was in the Air Force so he talked to the guys who turned the bad guys into a "fine red mist".

Nothing wrong with that. My respect remains in place. :)

Thanks for the clarification, JP.

Just laughing at the expression, the E-8/9 thing means nothing to a civvie like me.

No problem, buddy.

E-9 is as far as an enlisted man can go. And while they technically pale in comparison to an officer of that level (or any other,really), they actually know their ass from a hole in the ground. ;)

Funny thing. I just read this article "The Truth About Drones" which says in part...

Predator strikes have inflamed anti-American rage among Afghans and Pakistanis, including first or second generation immigrants in the west, as well as elite members of the security services. The Pakistani Taliban and other militants are moving to exploit this anger, vowing to carry out suicide bombings in major U.S. cities. Drone attacks have become a rallying cry for Taliban militants, feeding the flow of volunteers into a small, loose network that is harder to trace even than shadowy Al Qaeda.

So I looked up the authors email and wrote him this...

Bzzzzzzt. Wrong.

I'm just wondering what you believe the US should be doing instead of using the drones? Pakistan wont do anything. We cant send in troops. Should we let al Qaeda targets go? Do they get to sit in the hills in some sort of safe zone while our hands are tied because we are afraid some idiot kid will join their cause if we attack them?

The truth is the United States is not the problem. The truth is that until Pakistan does something about the region or let's us do it, drones are our only option. The truth is that ANYTHING we do to fight those who have already declared war on us is going to inspire people like Shahzad.

Thank you Mr. Obama for not listening to people like Gerges.

And to the guy piloting the drone... Hey Man, Nice Shot. :evilg:

No problem, buddy.

E-9 is as far as an enlisted man can go. And while they technically pale in comparison to an officer of that level (or any other,really), they actually know their ass from a hole in the ground. ;)

A crusty old Master Chief (E-9) found himself at a gala event downtown, hosted by a local (strictly women's) liberal arts college. There was no shortage of extremely young, idealistic ladies in attendance, one of whom approached the Master Chief for conversation.

She said, "Excuse me, sir, but you seem to be a very serious man. Are you this way all the time, or is something bothering you?"

"No," the Master Chief said, "just serious by nature."

The young lady looked at his awards and decorations and said, "It looks like you have seen a lot of action."

The Master Chief's short reply was, "Yep, a lot of action."

The young lady, tiring of trying to start up a conversation, said, "You know, you should lighten up a little - relax and enjoy yourself."

The Master Chief just stared at her in his serious manner.

Finally the young lady said, "You know, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but when is the last time you had sex?"

The Master Chief continued to stare at her and replied, "1955."

She said, "Well, there you go; you really need to chill out and quit taking everything so seriously - I mean, no sex since 1955, isn't that a little extreme?"

The Master Chief, glancing at his watch, said in his matter-of-fact voice, "Oh, I don't know. It's only 2130 now!"

Funny thing. I just read this article "The Truth About Drones" which says in part...

So I looked up the authors email and wrote him this...

Thank you Mr. Obama for not listening to people like Gerges.

And to the guy piloting the drone... Hey Man, Nice Shot. :evilg:

An interesting study was just released on this. Obviously you have to take the figures with a grain of salt, but still. Something to ponder. I'd like to get SHF's opinion on this (the study specifically, not the whole idea of using drones.)

http://washingtonindependent.com/85945/new-study-suggests-drone-strikes-dont-kill-as-many-pakistani-civilians-as-claimed

AKA Saeed al-Masri.

It's not the first time we've claimed to have gotten him.

This time it may have been confirmed by COBRA.

I'm trying to muster up some outrage over this illegal drone strike, harder to when we hit our target... but we could've missed and taken out a few more civilians. What's a few dead Pakistani civilians in our pursuit of justice anyways? I really want to know if these things make a difference or if we are simply swatting a fly amongst thousands of other flies.

But all I can really say, is something like "Nice shot Red 2!".

Archived