Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post: Snyder: "Washington deserves a Super Bowl"

MattFancy

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/

Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder said here Tuesday that D.C. deserves to host a future Super Bowl.

Snyder and the other owners are scheduled to vote during their one-day spring meeting to award the 2014 Super Bowl, possibly to the New York area. Snyder said during a midday break in the meeting, held at a Dallas-area hotel, that Washington should get a Super Bowl, whether or not New York is awarded the 2014 game.

"I think Washington should get one, no matter what," Snyder said. "It is the nation's capital."

Well this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. I don't know if DC will get one, but Snyder will certainly try.

I saw the same thing and put it in the "Does a NY Superbowl affect the Skins?" thread.

FedEx sucks.

Snyder obviously would love to have it there, but there's absolutely no way the NFL would do it.

I think Snyder will a)want to build a new stadium and if that doesn't happen, b)put money into renovating FedEx to make it more appealing.

I saw the same thing and put it in the "Does a NY Superbowl affect the Skins?" thread.

FedEx sucks.

Snyder obviously would love to have it there, but there's absolutely no way the NFL would do it.

FedEx is a Mecca compared to the stadium in Miami and they have held it there numerous times. Stadium quality is not a major factor.

I think Snyder will a)want to build a new stadium and if that doesn't happen, b)put money into renovating FedEx to make it more appealing.

I was honestly somewhat disheartened to hear that FedEx was getting new HD Video Boards, because to me that means we'll be in that **** hole for a while.

The additions to FedEx, lack of accessibility, obstructed view seats etc. The place sucks, and we need a new (and smaller) stadium in DC.

FedEx is a Mecca compared to the stadium in Miami and they have held it there numerous times. Stadium quality is not a major factor.

In order to hold it in a colder weather city like NY I'm pretty sure the NFL would want a nicer stadium, with better accessibility.

Brand new stadium in NY = Super Bowl in NY.

I doubt it'll happen in DC without a new stadium or some MAJOR renovations to FedEx.

Plus, I was there for the Orange Bowl two years ago and I liked it a lot more than FedEx.

FedEx sucks.

That alone is reason enough for it never to have a Super Bowl. Tons of seats, yes, but too much obstructed view, bathrooms that seem to have been built over Indian burial grounds and just too freaking difficult to get around inside it.

I've been to a couple of games at FedEx and would be about 100x more willing to go to a game in DC off a metro line. Traffic is a nightmare, and the only time I enjoyed the view more than sitting at home with my plasma was when I lucked onto some tickets in the LL at the 40 on our sideline.

This seems like one of the problems with doing a SB in NY: now EVERY team/owner is going to think they should get one. Not that I wouldn't love to have one in DC, but I think SB's should stay in warm-weather areas. But hey, maybe Snyder will do a thorough renovation of FedEx in the next couple years (and maybe they'll finally change that stupid friggin name--anyone know when that contract's up?).

Nope it is sure not. Plus Fedex isn't that bad.

DC is a perfect place to hold a Super Bowl. We have the Verizon Center to hold the little NFL Experience. We have the Convention Center that can be home of Radio Row. Teams can practice on almost any field in the area. If it rains, we can send somebody to the DC Armory and somebody else to the Comcast Center.As far as the night life, it can get crazy if you want it to....

DC can definitely handle a Super Bowl

Nope it is sure not. Plus Fedex isn't that bad.

DC is a perfect place to hold a Super Bowl. We have the Verizon Center to hold the little NFL Experience. We have the Convention Center that can be home of Radio Row. Teams can practice on almost any field in the area. If it rains, we can send somebody to the DC Armory and somebody else to the Comcast Center.As far as the night life, it can get crazy if you want it to....

DC can definitely handle a Super Bowl

Its not about the capacity to handle a Super Bowl, any major city with an NFL team fits the above qualifications.

I just think the only way a cold weather city gets a Super Bowl is if they're in a dome, or if they have a nice stadium.

The Super Bowl is an event, from the people I've talked to that have been to one its extremely corporate and nothing like a real game experience. The fans are there for a weekend, not just for the game and if they're going to suffer through cold weather they're going to want a nicer stadium.

Now, I think people are being wusses about it, try coming down to Lane Stadium and tell me you can't have a good time in the cold/rain!

I was honestly somewhat disheartened to hear that FedEx was getting new HD Video Boards, because to me that means we'll be in that **** hole for a while.

We're stuck there for years to come anyways as the loan for it isn't paid off. Might as well put some money into it now that the cost of new HD Jumbo screens are reasonable. I can see Dan putting some money into FedEx each offseason to try to improve the game day experience since we're going to be there for a long time.

We're stuck there for years to come anyways as the loan for it isn't paid off. Might as well put some money into it now that the cost of new HD Jumbo screens are reasonable. I can see Dan putting some money into FedEx each offseason to try to improve the game day experience since we're going to be there for a long time.

Sigh.

I guess it was just wishful thinking, I used to love the idea of going to a Redskins game but the game experience at FedEx is just awful, especially compared to college games.

I guess I was hoping Snyder would see the errors of his ways, pay off the loans and blow that monstrous failure to the ground.

Oh well, I'll live with a crappy stadium if we start winning :)

Nope. I'm not as big of a FedEx basher as some others, but I just can't agree with you there.

Maybe Snyder's SB aspirations are what is really fueling the new jumbotrons at FedEx, and not this new fan-friendly campaign.

I am convinced the Washington DC area would be a rocking place to have a Super Bowl IF it were in September or October. Unfortunately, DC in February is not a good option and an outdoor stadium would not be very hospitable for most who attend Super Bowls. Of course, most ES fans would be there shirtless.

I am convinced the Washington DC area would be a rocking place to have a Super Bowl IF it were in September or October. Unfortunately, DC in February is not a good option and an outdoor stadium would not be very hospitable for most who attend Super Bowls. Of course, most ES fans would be there shirtless.

If its just the weather you're concerned about, NY is definitely worse.

This year on SB Sunday, there was about 2 feet of snow on the ground.

I'm all for keeping it in the sunbelt, but if Jersey is getting one, the floodgates should open.

Again, I don't think so.

The NFL is going to want something to offset the crappy weather in the non-sunbelt cities. Dome stadium negates the weather, brand new stadium makes the overall experience better even in the cold.

Archived