Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Car Audio Aux Input Question

manichispanic

Hey Guys,

I was hoping for help with a question about my 2006 Honda Accord. It doesnt have an aux input jack (3.5mm or the RCA red/white cable) but it has an XM/Aux button on the factory head unit. I was wondering if they sell something that will just add an aux jack to the factory head unit. I really dont want to replace the head unit. Thanks

Chances are the factory unit doesn't have any sort of aux input on the back. It's likely there for a XM/Sirius connection (with nothing on the back). I'm not 100% sure about this though. The only way to find out would be to remove the unit unless you have some sort of schematic.

Hey Guys,

I was hoping for help with a question about my 2006 Honda Accord. It doesnt have an aux input jack (3.5mm or the RCA red/white cable) but it has an XM/Aux button on the factory head unit. I was wondering if they sell something that will just add an aux jack to the factory head unit. I really dont want to replace the head unit. Thanks

To be honest, even though you don't want to, you are probably better off upgrading the head unit. Even if you get an aftermarket AUX addition, it won't change the way your head unit processes the sound and how the electronics in it handle it.

If you want AUX jacks and want to use them for an amp, etc, you should get a head unit that is fully meant for that. It will give you better signal/noise ratio and better handling of the input signal than a stock head unit. Otherwise it is basically just a band-aid solution, really.

Hey Guys,

I've looked for something similar so I could play my iPhone through my car. Never found anything that would simply plug into an aftermarket jack. Settled on a Monster cassette converter.

I've looked for something similar so I could play my iPhone through my car. Never found anything that would simply plug into an aftermarket jack. Settled on a Monster cassette converter.

BlackBerry has a music gateway that allows you to stream via Bluetooth into your existing head unit.

Only bad thing I can say about it is you do get a small amount of engine hum through your speakers. Kinda like those old cassette adapters for portable CD players.

A big positive though is you can unplug it from your vehicle & plug it into any household stereo with an AUX input jack & steam to that.

I have a 2003 Accord. Mine had an AUX button; but nothing connected to it. I wanted something to hook my mp3 player up to.

I bought an adapter sold by BlitzSafe. There is another one sold by Soundgate. If I had to do it again; I would by the Soundgate one. It was a bit more expensive, but the BlitzSafe one is not that robust and seems like it has some noise.

Be careful as the adapter you need depends on the make, model and year. It looks like the SoundGate is compatible with a 2006 Honda Accord. I've stopped using mine since it's not set up all that well. One problem I have is figuring out where the place the unit... I had it mounted inside the passenger side but it kept getting unglued (should use better glue?)... and again, the BlitzSafe seemed noisy. Most people had to use something called a ground-loop isolator; I imagine the reason the SoundGate already has that circuit in it.

The site I got it from, logjamelectronics.com looks like they still sell these adapters. BlitzSafe is $80; the SoundGate is $100.

(Edit) You'll also need to get some type of y-connector to take the output from your i-phone into the input which has split up left and right channels. I installed mine as a DIY exercise. Reminder; don't work on elevated surfaces and use chalk blocks if you are taking your car out of park. I don't know if my parking break is jacked up or my son accidently released it but he was climbing around inside the car (which wasn't on a flat surface) and something released the parking break. It was a potentially dangerous situation; especially since I expected my parking brake to be engaged. The car was in reverse at the time (because you need to put it in reverse to remove the dash).

My Toyota came with an AUX input, but I still went out and bought one of the Alpine head units that has the full Ipod controls built in. Displays track name, artist name, album name and album art. And the controls work similarly to the Ipod. Sounds 100% better than the AUX input because it plugs directly into the data port rather than the headphones jack.

Love IT.

Archived