Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: O'Malley signs cell phone ban

MattFancy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-bills-cell-phone-20100520,0,7622958.story

In a move that could affect millions of Maryland drivers, Gov. Martin O'Malley today signed a bill that bans the use of hand-held cell phones while driving — enacting a measure that took more than a decade to pass the General Assembly.

At what is presumably the last signing ceremony of his term — barring an unexpected special session in an election year — the governor's action adds Maryland to a short list of states with similar laws. Maryland's law would take effect Oct. 1.

The new law is drawing praise from advocates for safe driving, including David Nevins, co-chairman of the Maryland Highway Safety Foundation.

"We're convinced that on Oct. 1, it becomes a much safer day in Maryland. Talking on a cell phone in some cases approximates a .08 alcohol content, making it equivalent to drunk driving as far as people's condition goes," he said, referring to the blood-alcohol reading at which a person is presumed to have been driving under the influence.

The cell phone bill was one of hundreds O'Malley planned to sign at a State House event, but it may be the one with the most direct effect on Marylanders' everyday lives.

The compromise measure, which exempts devices that let drivers talk with their hands free, squeaked through the Senate along highly partisan lines but passed the House of Delegates with a solid bipartisan majority.

So no more texting or talking on the phone while driving, unless you are using a hands free device.

I still see people texting while driving all the time, so I wonder if this new law will stop people from talking on the phone.

Screw this law. I get a lot of work done while driving home from work. What if I'm driving home and the wife calls me from the supermarket wondering what I want for dinner? Am I supposed to pull to the side of the road? Or not answer at all until I get home 20 minutes later?

Besides, it's been shown that it isn't the act of holding a phone that makes talking on one more dangerous while driving, it's the act of talking itself. Having a conversation takes mental energy and concentration, concentration that could be dedicated toward handling your vehicle. Which means a hands-free device isn't any safer. In fact just riding with someone in the passenger seat is more dangerous than driving alone. Are they going to ban that too?

It's not the talking on the cell phone that's dangerous, it's the texting. If you text while driving you are a moron and that's putting it lightly.

Texting is another issue entirely. Not only does it require your concentration, you have to look away from the road to do it. Unless you're really good.

Screw this law. I get a lot of work done while driving home from work. What if I'm driving home and the wife calls me from the supermarket wondering what I want for dinner? Am I supposed to pull to the side of the road? Or not answer at all until I get home 20 minutes later?

Get a hands-free device. Problem solved.

Get a hands-free device. Problem solved.

You think fumbling with some goofy thing that goes over my ear is somehow safer than simply raising my phone? I guarantee for me, that's twice as dangerous.

Someone's calling me. I get my phone and grab my "hands-free" device. Search for the little hole to plug it into. Plug it in. Get the thing over my ear. Answer the call. Hopefully this isn't being done at highway speeds.

Contrast: Someone's calling. "Hello."

I like this law. To me, talking on the cell phone is no different then the guy trying to shave or the chick putting on makeup.

I think people tend to forget that they are driving 1 ton homicide machines. I see so much damn reckless driving on the roads in NOVA it is a joke.

You think fumbling with some goofy thing that goes over my ear is somehow safer than simply raising my phone? I guarantee for me, that's twice as dangerous.

Someone's calling me. I get my phone and grab my "hands-free" device. Search for the little hole to plug it into. Plug it in. Get the thing over my ear. Answer the call. Hopefully this isn't being done at highway speeds.

Contrast: Someone's calling. "Hello."

Well if you use your phone as often as it seems then get a bluetooth and put it in your ear when you get in the car. Someone's calling: "Hello"

Well if you use your phone as often as it seems then get a bluetooth and put it in your ear when you get in the car. Someone's calling: "Hello"

I'm not a gadget guy. My cell phone is about as hi-tech as I get.

I'll probably end up doing what you're suggesting, but I'll resent it. It won't make me a safer driver.

I'm not a gadget guy. My cell phone is about as hi-tech as I get.

I'll probably end up doing what you're suggesting, but I'll resent it. It won't make me a safer driver.

Well the law is not all about you :silly: While I am sure you are an excellent driver, even with cell phone in hand, the majority of people are not. The law is meant to protect you from them and to protect them from themselves.

Where has this been "shown?"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10444717-266.html

Study: Distractions, not phones, cause car crashes

Research for the study, published Friday, was collected in New York, Washington, D.C., Connecticut, and California. Data was also collected and evaluated from nearby states that do not have such bans, for the sake of comparison. The Highway Loss Data Institute's research indicates that car collision rates didn't change after bans went into effect--and they didn't change for nearby states without such bans, either.

That said, the laws banning handheld phone usage have been effective in getting people to use hands-free devices for driving, the study suggests. But there is no indication that hands-free devices have reduced the number of car accidents that occur.

"Hands-free devices are no less risky than using a handheld phone," said Russ Rader, spokesman for the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, which sponsored the study. "And this indicates that the issue is really about the distracted driver. It's much bigger than drivers using cell phones."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/01/29/cellphone.study/index.html

According to the study, the crash rates in the nation's capital were the same as in Virginia and Maryland, which don't have laws limiting the use of cell phones while driving.

Increased rates of crashes when drivers use hand-held cell phones have been well documented, so it's unclear why the four jurisdictions' accident rates did not mirror the trend after their cell phone bans took effect.

Lund said the Highway Loss Data Institute is trying to determine why the ban does not have an impact on the rate of accidents. One of the options is that drivers in jurisdictions that ban cell phones while driving may be resorting to using hands-free devices, whose accident rates are the same as hand-held devices, he said.

"In this case, crashes wouldn't go down because the risk is about the same, regardless of whether the phones are hand-held or hands-free," the study said.

Well the law is not all about you :silly: While I am sure you are an excellent driver, even with cell phone in hand, the majority of people are not. The law is meant to protect you from them and to protect them from themselves.

I understand. But I'd prefer they just fine the crap out of me if I cause an accident because I was on my phone than make it illegal outright. I don't wanna get one of those goofy hands-free things that aren't safer, and sometimes I just have to answer when I'm in my car.

Wow this law has been in place here forever... The price is getting more expensive by the year too.. Its used to be a $100 fine now its going up to $150 per offense..

In Maryland it's starting out as a secondary offense, meaning you can't be pulled over just for using a cell phone, there has to be something else you're doing wrong. But I'm sure that won't last long.

whats so damn important that always need to be on the phone?

If you're in sales, the only time you have to call people back in between appointments, while driving. People can still do that, they just need to get a hands free kit, my question is, will you be allowed to dial while driving.

Archived