Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favre Watch 2010

MattFancy

Brett Favre-QB-Vikings Aug. 3 - 1:34 pm et

The Vikings are prepared to do whatever it takes to get Brett Favre to return this season, according to FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer.

That includes offering Favre more money as well as more time for his ankle to heal. The would-be Super Bowl contenders have put all of their eggs in Favre's basket this season, and they fully realize he's a necessity rather than a luxury. Favre's waffling has never been about the money, however. As PFT points out, it's about building drama and manufacturing an excuse in case his play slips considerably at age 41.

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Vikings I'm now hearing are prepared to do whatever they need, including giving more $$ and more time, to get Favre to reconsider 7 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Jay_Glazer

Jay Glazer

Vikings are ****ed if he retires.

:obvious:

I dunno. They won 9 games in 2008 with Tavaris. They certainly wouldn't be the favorites in their division let alone the NFC anymore without Favre. But I don't think Favre is going to retire yet.

Tavaris is horrible. They won 9 games despite him. I'm not convinced he's done yet either. And won't be, until several games into the season.

Lol Brett should do "The Decision"

I don't feel comfortable if I were a Vikings fan with Tarvaris Jackson, that guy is horrible

Green Bay suddenly becomes the favorite to win the division if Favre retires

GB

Chicago

Minnesota

Detroit

Green Bay may have won that division, anyway. There's no question they win it now. However, even with Jackson running the show, I still think the Vikings have enough talent to finish 2nd, and compete for a wildcard. I'm not convinced that the Bears will be that much better than they were last year.

As a Cowboy fan, if this is true, I am a very happy man.

Meh. All it means is that you 'might' win an extra playoff game.

They should've drafted Claussen at the end of the first...

Exactly. And I said it at the time.

Claussen is the next Brady Quin. He sucks. period

This is ridiculous.

Besides your hyperbole, have anything to back that up? Nope didn't think so.

They will regret taking Gerhart and not a QB for several years to come if Favre retires this year. Without Favre they are an 8-9 win team at the very best.

I dunno, as bad as I think Jackson is, I think they could get to 10 wins. He just has to be a game-manager. And not try to actually win games on his own. Sitting and watching Brett last year can only help.

Does anyone think he'll play to last year's level again next year?

Not a chance.

Tarvaris is HORRIBLE

this is from John Clayton at ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5434060

If Brett Favre follows through on his text message to the Minnesota Vikings and officially retires, the Vikings might find themselves in third place in the NFC North, and the balance of power in the conference would shift decidedly toward Dallas, New Orleans and Atlanta. That's the impact Favre has on the conference, which is why Vikings management huddled Tuesday to see if it could talk him out of retiring. With Favre, the Vikings are a 12-win team with hopes of going to the Super Bowl. Without him, the Vikings would scramble for a wild-card spot.

Like most franchise quarterbacks, Favre adds at least five to six points per game to an offense. In 2008, with Gus Frerotte and Tarvaris Jackson starting at quarterback, the Vikings squeaked out a 10-6 season and won the division. At the time, they were primarily a running team, with Adrian Peterson carrying the offense. Their offense scored 23.7 points a game.

Favre helped the Vikings score 29.4 points per game last season and elevated them to the NFC Championship Game. With Jackson or Sage Rosenfels running the offense, Minnesota would struggle to get nine wins. The offensive line isn't as dominating as it was two years ago, and age and injuries could be catching up to cornerback Antoine Winfield, defensive tackle Pat Williams and others. The safeties struggled last year against good passers and could do the same in 2010.

And perhaps the worst part of the equation for a Vikings team without Favre is that the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears could pass them in the division. The Packers took a calculated risk two years ago in trading Favre to the New York Jets. General manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy gambled that moving Favre would give Aaron Rodgers the chance to evolve into an elite quarterback. He did, and last year he took the Packers back to the playoffs as a wild card.

Without Favre, it could be argued that the Vikings have the worst quarterbacking in the NFC North. Rodgers is the top quarterback. Jay Cutler threw for 27 touchdowns for the Chicago Bears in 2009 in what was an off season, but now he has Mike Martz calling his plays. Even Detroit, which might be set for only four or five wins this season, has Matthew Stafford rapidly improving and a better cast of players on offense.

Minus Favre, the Vikings must switch to being more of a running team, minimizing some of the excitement of Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice.

If Favre is gone, the Vikings will have a harder time matching up against the NFC East, which plays the NFC North this season. The East features quarterbacks Donovan McNabb of the Redskins, Eli Manning of the Giants, Tony Romo sits to pee of the Cowboys and Kevin Kolb of the Eagles. Favre might have gone 3-1 against them. Jackson or Rosenfels could go 1-3.

The loss of Favre definitely would help the Saints, who open against the Vikings on Sept. 9. Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams could concentrate on stopping Peterson and forcing fumbles. Jackson has had difficulty with the blitz and could expect Williams to blitz on most downs to confuse him.

Unless the Vikings can talk Favre out of retiring, the Cowboys and Saints will be battling for the first seed in the conference, while the Packers have the best chance to take back the NFC North.

Here's how I see the NFC stacking up if Favre is gone:

1. Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys have the most talent of any team in the conference. They have a 3-4 scheme that is loaded with playmakers who are just hitting their prime, along with an offense that includes Tony Romo sits to pee, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Jason Witten and three good running backs.

2. Atlanta Falcons: Settle down, Saints fans. This is more of a schedule thing than a personnel evaluation. The Falcons have an easy, 31-49 nondivisional road schedule (based on last season's records) that features only two games against teams with winning records. The Saints have a 48-32 nondivisional road schedule.

3. New Orleans Saints: It's always hard to repeat after winning the Super Bowl, but the Saints are loaded on offense. Gregg Williams is in his second year of improving the defense. If the Falcons win the NFC South, the Saints should get a wild card.

4. Green Bay Packers: The Packers are back as the team to beat in the NFC North. Rodgers is an elite quarterback and the 3-4 defense is sturdy.

5. New York Giants: The Giants edge the 49ers for the No. 5 seed as long as their defense bounces back from an underachieving 2009 season. Manning has evolved into a 4,000-yard quarterback, and the Giants should return to being a decent running team.

fyi I would put New Orleans as number one, Green Bay as number two, followed by Dallas, Atlanta and then the Giants....

Brett Favre-QB- Vikings Aug. 3 - 8:23 pm et

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer - the same reporter who broke the "story" of Brett Favre's alleged plan to retire -- stated on Twitter Tuesday that he believes Brett Favre will NOT retire.

NFL Network analyst and longtime Favre associate Steve Mariucci also went on NFLN Tuesday, saying "Everybody just needs to calm down a little bit right now." "If Brett's body is feeling good enough," said Mooch, "... he would play. Right now, he told me, 'I'm trying to get my body healthy'. ... The Vikings don't want him in the camp right now. They would prefer that he waited and stayed home to heal up. ... But right now, he hasn't retired. He's still trying to get healthy."

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI

AP Sports Writer

MANKATO, Minn. (AP) -- Even though Brett Favre has told some of his teammates he's calling it a career, the Minnesota Vikings are hoping for one last change of heart from the quarterback who just can't stay retired.

Favre has started to contact teammates and Vikings officials to say he will not return for a 20th NFL season, tight end Visanthe Shiancoe said on Tuesday evening.

"He told a couple guys on our team he's going to retire," Shiancoe said after practice. "He hasn't told me yet. I'm going to check my phone right now, but it hasn't been said publicly yet so I don't know what to believe."

Earlier Tuesday, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press that the 40-year-old Favre contacted the Vikings to say he wouldn't return this season because his injured left ankle is not responding as well to surgery and rehabilitation as he had hoped. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no official announcements were made.

Coach Brad Childress said Favre had not told him directly that he plans to retire as of Tuesday morning. The coach would not confirm Favre's status with the team, calling it a "fluid situation," and he was unavailable for comment after the evening practice. Owner Zygi Wilf declined to comment.

"I'm not a big hearsay person," Childress said. "I gotta hear it from the horse's mouth."

See http://www.csnwashington.com/08/03/10/Teammate-Favre-Texted-Players-Saying-Hes/landing.html?blockID=282558&feedID=272 for the rest of the story.

Brett Favre-QB-Vikings Aug. 3 - 11:55 pm et

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports the Vikings have offered Brett Favre a raise that would increase his 2010 base salary from $13 million to $16 million.

Incentives could reportedly push the salary even higher. Zulgad has been on top of the Favre story from the get-go, and went on NFL Network Tuesday to strongly caution that Favre's mind isn't necessarily made up. It's unclear if money is one of the main sticking points in Favre's decision, but there have been plenty of rumors it is. Favre played last season for $12 million.

Source: Judd Zulgad on Twitter

Brett Favre-QB-Vikings Aug. 3 - 11:30 pm et

According to SI's Peter King, Brett Favre plans to consult Dr. James Andrews about why his surgically repaired ankle continues to cause him pain.

Favre had surgery on May 21, but the ankle still bothers him well over two months later. Still, King relays that Favre's own mother and close friend Al Jones of the Biloxi Herald both doubt he's already decided to retire. We're 100-percent certain Favre hasn't made a decision, but he may need to see signs of progress with the ankle to return by his late-August target date.

Source: Peter King on Twitter

Farve just doesn't want to come to training camp or even preseason. also, he wants more coin.

The guy will be there opening day.

Then Greg Williams defense sends him to retirement for good after the opening day. Brett will have a career ending injury.

Brett could be in a wheel chair and he'd still suit up and start the very next Sunday. There is no such thing as a career ending injury next to death that would force Favre away from the field.

As someone else said, I'll believe he's retired when on Thursday night for the opening game of the season, Jackson or Rosenfelt is behind center when the game against the Saints starts.

Archived