Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lock if needed - Heard on the radio Landry moved to LB?

kiingspadee

I heard he may be moving over to the referee spot, being that he gets out the way of the players so quickly?

Seriously, I don't see LL playing LB. I hope we leave him at SS and pick up Darren Sharper for a year or two untill we can draft a guy that actually knows what they are doing back there.

You know maybe Haslet will throw them for a loop and run a few sets where we have 3 Down Lineman only 3-4 backers and an extra safety or two..

AH K'mouteoa PD

Rakpo Fletcher McIntosh

Rogers Landry Moore Horton Doughty Hall

I guess that would be a dime formation eh?

WOW! Looks like the coaches are putting people in the best position to Succeed. That's exactly what we all wanted. Play Landry closer to the Line, maybe at LB in a few packages, just move him around the field so he can makes plays. He is a playmaker not a center fielder.

Think of it more like this: Horton's rookie year when he started at SS and Landry at FS, Horton played as far up if not closer to the LOS than the linebacker's in a lot of plays. He was always lined up extremely close to the LOS and had a lot of nice tackles right around that area. Landry will likely play a similar role with more blitzing involved because that's a weapon he definitely possesses. He's still the SS but we may have several packages where he is basically lined up in the box. In essence it will be like a 3-5-3 defense rather than a 3-4 or 4-3.

You know maybe Haslet will throw them for a loop and run a few sets where we have 3 Down Lineman only 3-4 backers and an extra safety or two..

AH K'mouteoa PD

Rakpo Fletcher McIntosh

Rogers Landry Moore Horton Doughty Hall

I guess that would be a dime formation eh?

penalty_flag_3.jpg

Thanks to HapHaszard from Bubba9497's Redskins Breaking News

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/04/laron_landry_says_hell_play_so.html#more

Moving LaRon Landry from safety to linebacker has long been one of the relentless pipe-dream fantasies of anonymous Internet commenters, the sort who believe Colt Brennan should be the starting quarterback, Marko Mitchell should be the No. 1 wideout and the Redskins should trade a dozen Spicy Pickle sandwiches and Etan Thomas's expiring contract to the Vikings for Adrian Peterson.

Except this one appears actually to be happening. It's already been clear that Landry is adding considerable weight -- he told reporters on Sunday that he's trying to go from 210 pounds to 240, and that he's already up to 230 -- and when he dropped in with LaVar and Dukes earlier this week, Landry said he indeed plans to play some linebacker.

"It's gonna be interchangeable, strong safety and free safety, I need to know both positions," he said. "I'm also gonna play a little linebacker."

At 240, Landry would fit in well with many of the team's linebackers: Rocky McIntosh is listed at 238, H.B. Blades at 242, London Fletcher at 245 and Chris Wilson at 247. Landry talked with reporters on Sunday about his difficulty playing free safety, and he elaborated on that with LaVar and Dukes.

click on the link above for the rest of the article

So Landry says he's focused on SS and FS, and will play a LITTLE LB, that doesn't = moving to LB. That means he's playing Safety, and a LITTLE linebacker. Come on people, do we need to litterally blow everything out of proportion?

This is just like the "Kiper and McShay say Skins WILL go QB with #4" when they actually said, "MIGHT".

Sorry, but it's a HUGE difference. I'm happy he's playing closer to the line again, I think he does his best damage when he's closer to the QB and the crossing WRs or RBs coming out of the backfield, but he's NOT a full time LB, and I'm glad.

Laron playing LB would be a bad idea. I don't think he is a good enough tackler and won't be able to get off blocks well enough to be effective.

At LB...he would be in a run stopping/blitzing role....no different than him playing closer to the line as SS...but with him at LB, they wouldn't have to sacrifice the help over the top if they have someone else back there to fill his spot. It's what a lot of college teams do and it's a pretty good idea.

Role would be the same, position would be different. No biggy

In this league now there is no way that a 240lb safety is going to keep up with wide receivers, especially a guy that was never too savvy when it came to coverage in the first place.

This is even big for a in-the-box Strong Safety. Looks like the writing is one the wall, or on the scale as the case may be, regarding Landry's future.

At LB...he would be in a run stopping/blitzing role....no different than him playing closer to the line as SS...but with him at LB, they wouldn't have to sacrifice the help over the top if they have someone else back there to fill his spot. It's what a lot of college teams do and it's a pretty good idea.

Role would be the same, position would be different. No biggy

Except for getting off blocks again and again play after play, that wears on you and its unproven if he can do that

Except for getting off blocks again and again play after play, that wears on you and its unproven if he can do that

In the ideal situation, he'd be used for passing downs. Teams could check to run if he's lined up at the Sam. We can be in nickel while staying in base.

In the ideal situation, he'd be used for passing downs. Teams could check to run if he's lined up at the Sam. We can be in nickel while staying in base.

def, I'm much less familiar with 3-4 but It sounds like a linebacker leaves the field and the strong safety moves down on nickel etc

I would prefer that Landry play his true position of SS. I see him being like the Cardinals Adrian Wilson in the 3-4 system, where he will basically act as a 5th LB and blitz a majority of the time. We all know he can't cover worth a damn, but he can definitely lay a hit on someone. Therefore it only seems logical that a coach would see that he could benefit from playing closer to the line of scrimmage and be molded into the same kind of safety Wilson is, going after the QB and getting sacks, while also acting as a run-stopper on the scrimmage.

Just my .02 cents. However, he definitely should not make the move from SS to full time LB.

Archived