Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinny Cerrato On Baltimore Radio 105.7 The Fan

Hitman#21

I like how his re-do would be Ware over Rogers. Really? How about Rodgers over JC instead. Carlos Rogers has been a solid corner for us, especially when he was in Gregg Williams' scheme, and we have no idea what Ware would've been like as a DE in Williams' defense. But we know how JC turned out, and how Rodgers has developed.

Probably the best is him joking on Ditka though.

Vinny always struck me as kind of a douche.

Wasn't JC taken AFTER Rodgers not before?
Yeah, but they still traded up to get Campbell. If they were going to trade up back into the 1st round to get a QB, the price difference between the 25th spot from Denver and the 24th spot from Green Bay would probably be virtually nothing.

If you're going to make that kind of an effort to get your "future franchise QB," make sure it's the right one, especially if you're playing the hindsight game.

Yeah, but they still traded up to get Campbell. If they were going to trade up back into the 1st round to get a QB, the price difference between the 25th spot from Denver and the 24th spot from Green Bay would probably be virtually nothing.

If you're going to make that kind of an effort to get your "future franchise QB," make sure it's the right one, especially if you're playing the hindsight game.

good point but I think the more flagrant moves are the ones where he bypassed one player over another at the pick he was at. But to your point, clearly if they were enamored with Rodgers they would have targeted him, and they did not.

The only problem with this is that Rodgers didn't fit Gibbs's scheme, while Jason did. Not saying the right decision was made, but Rodgers was better suited for the WCO, which Gibbs didn't run. I would love to have Rodgers now to pair with Shanahan, but that isn't the case.

I don't know why radio and TV stations continue to put this buffoon on air because he has no credibility as a competent GM, he has a horrible voice for radio, and a horse's ass has a better face for TV then Vinny does. I'm just glad he's gone and Shanahan and Allen are running the show.

Hes saying alot of very interesting things, draft related and Redskins related. Ill update Here:

http://1057thefan.cbslocal.com/

One pick he'd change from past: "I would probably instead of Carlos Rogers, I would’ve taken DeMarcus Ware."

Makes fun of Ditka for trading his draft picks away. "Then he went and played golf, and got fired."

Bradford's "not a vocal leader. You would like more of a vocal leader out of your quarterback."

"Dan(Snyder) only asked me for one thing on draft day, and thats to draft a pro bowler"

Talking about Sean Taylor Vs Kellen Winslow:

-Says Sean was out of shape

-Gibbs would of taken Winslow if draft was that day.

-Winslow didnt answer door for Breakfast when Gibbs knocked, and over slept.

-Sean Wowed them on game film.

He would give Big Ben another chance, though if he has one chance left.

If he was GM right now he'd be sweating saying if our tackle is going to be there at 4.

Just said took someone to dinner last year, someone who was picked ahead of the skins in the first and he was very obnoxious yelling across the table. And they took him off the board after that because they said he wouldnt fit in the locker room. Added he had a bad year this season. (I wonder who it was?)

Said they had a Crabtree jersey made at Draft, also Orakpo. Then did his laugh :)

no comment :doh:

I like how his re-do would be Ware over Rogers. Really? How about Rodgers over JC instead. Carlos Rogers has been a solid corner for us, especially when he was in Gregg Williams' scheme, and we have no idea what Ware would've been like as a DE in Williams' defense. But we know how JC turned out, and how Rodgers has developed.

Jason Campbell was taken after Aaron Rodgers.

Carlos Rogers was taken before Demarcus Ware.

I think in order to have regret, the player must be available when you pick. Vinny and Gibbs didn't pass on Rodgers. He was taken before they picked.

Good point. The mistake they made is that they traded up before the draft ever started. Rather than waiting to see who fell during the draft..

Jason Campbell was taken after Aaron Rodgers.

Carlos Rogers was taken before Demarcus Ware.

I think in order to have regret, the player must be available when you pick. Vinny and Gibbs didn't pass on Rodgers. He was taken before they picked.

but they moved up to JC why not move up to AR?

but they moved up to JC why not move up to AR?

Actually, now that I think about it, they probaby just didn't like Rodgers for whatever reason. They had a chance to take him at #8 but didn't. Maybe it was because he was too short.

Yes, the Ditka trade (entire draft for one player) was mind-numbingly stupid.

Yet Vinny repeatedly made dumb moves over and over again. His "scouting expertise" helped fuel the debacle that was the Spurrier experiment. And the Zorn experiment. Same result in both cases in fact. We go from decent to laughingstock in two years with Vinny's "help".

Gibbs takes credit for the good and bad during his tenure, but I wonder how much of a role Vinny played in getting us shafted in deals like the picks we gave for BLloyd.

Meanwhile Ditka was a HOF player, and as a coach led a team to Superbowl glory.

Not really a Bears fan, but Vinny's got no right to bash Ditka. He's not even fit to hold Ditka's strap.

good point but I think the more flagrant moves are the ones where he bypassed one player over another at the pick he was at. But to your point, clearly if they were enamored with Rodgers they would have targeted him, and they did not.

True, but if Vinny is playing this game of hindsight, he might as well point out the bigger error in that 1st round.

If you're going to sit down, look back on your draft decision, and try to re-do a choice you made, you mean you'd swap Rogers with Ware instead of trading up for Campbell instead Rodgers? They only went one pick apart.

Rodgers might not have fit Joe Gibbs' scheme at the time (a scheme which Gibbs changed just a year later with Saunders taking over the offense), but Ware didn't fit Gregg Williams' 4-3 either.

So from Vinny's standpoint, he's just saying "Duhhh I'd take Ware because ultimately, he's turned into a great pass rushing OLB." Using that logic, he might as well say "I'd have traded up for Rodgers instead of Campbell because he's turned into a great QB."

Not a big deal, but it's just strange from Vinny's standpoint.

Campbell fit Gibbs offense better of play action and then going deep, where Rodgers was a WCO QB, which wouldn't have worked under Gibbs.

But then a year later, Gibbs brought in Saunders to run his timing based Coryell offense. And that didn't really fit Campbell's strengths either.

In hindsight, like Vinny's playing, you might as well say "we should have just traded up to 24 or 23 to get Rodgers, and then switched to a WCO."

Gibbs takes credit for the good and bad during his tenure, but I wonder how much of a role Vinny played in getting us shafted in deals like the picks we gave for BLloyd.

I think Vinny's reputation around the league certainly didn't help us get a good deal in that trade, but it was Saunders who really wanted us to get Lloyd for his offense.

But then a year later, Gibbs brought in Saunders to run his timing based Coryell offense. And that didn't really fit Campbell's strengths either.

In hindsight, like Vinny's playing, you might as well say "we should have just traded up to 24 or 23 to get Rodgers, and then switched to a WCO."

I understand what you're saying but that's why it's said hindsight is 20/20 and Vinny is only making an ass out of himself by going on the air and insulting people such as Ditka. And at the time Campbell was the right fit for Gibbs's offense and Rodgers was not, but Rodgers is clearly the superior QB.

He said you shouldn't get old free agents and pay them a lot of money. Then he went on to say we tried to stay away from old free agents and pay them a lot of money.

WTF????

Literally the sentence after, the guy contradicted himself :doh:

I'm a little lost...how is this a contradiction?

"you shouldn't get old free agents and pay them a lot of money."

"We tried to stay away from old free agents and pay them a lot of money."

I had always wondered about the Winslow thing. Winslow claimed on draft day (in an angry rant) that the Redskins and Gibbs told him that they would draft him if he were there. When they didn't he said he was going to make them pay and basically that they were liars.

I always wondered if they really told him that, or he just misunderstood what they said. Apparently they must have told him they would draft him, but changed there mind at the last minute after Winslow showed his true irresponsible character. Getting Taylor and Cooley obviously was the right call for them.

I actually like hearing Vinny talk about players because he's a pretty good talent evaluator. But you can tell by this interview he is a horrible GM. This man was tryn to give away 2nd round and 3rd rounds picks. :doh:

U mean like we gave for McNabb ;)

Archived