Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP RI - Landry puts trade rumors behind him, prepares for new defense

TSO

Credit goes out to Haphaszard in RBN, he's holding down the fort there quite well now. :)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/3-4-defense/landry-puts-trade-rumors-behin.html#more

Although safety LaRon Landry briefly left the Redskins' voluntary workout program, "everything is cool now."

After the Redskins' final minicamp practice Sunday, Landry for the first time addressed his feelings about hearing his name mentioned in trade speculation, discussed his evolving role in the Redskins' new 3-4 defense and characterized 2009 as a "disappointing season for me." Landry, who appears to have bulked up considerably, is focused on rebounding well in his fourth season.

"During that time, as far as a trade being concerned with me, I didn't take it as a negative thing or being upsetting," Landry said while walking off the field at Redskins Park. "I looked at it like this, 'There are other teams who wanted me.' They really wanted me. If the Skins wanted to give me up, I'd be gone by now. The only thing I did, I stepped back and thought of my next career move as a businessman. That didn't mean I stopped working or didn't want to be with the Skins. I was just thinking of my next business move. Talking with my agent and that was it. I wasn't mad or anything.

"I read ... I heard what [a reporter] was saying, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I just stepped back and said, 'Okay, if I'm gonna get traded, I'm gonna step back and let it pan out.' Wherever I was going, that's where I was going. As far as if the Eagles wanted me, I was going to the Eagles and I was going to be there. I didn't take it as anything being negative. It was just a business move. I let my agent handle everything. When everything calmed down, you see I'm here. I'm proud to be a Skin and I wouldn't trade it for anything. But if I was going to be traded, what was my next move?"

Landry has spent more time at the complex than during previous offseasons because "the 3-4 defense is new. My second year here, I knew the whole defense. I knew everything. I communicated with coach [Greg] Blache. Coach Blache was okay with me working out wherever I was working out at, and we communicated that. But as far this defense, it's a whole new thing. I need to be here and learn that.

"The whole thing is different. The 3-4 is way different than a 4-3. Different calls. I'm learning strong safety and free safety. But predominantly I am a strong safety. When the passing strength changes, I'm a free safety, so I need to learn everything. I want to know the whole defense. I want to be a leader back there. More vocal and by my athletic ability. I feel very comfortable in the defense so far. ... Looks like it's gonna be a fun year."

Click link to continue reading...

Best part:

"The whole thing is different. The 3-4 is way different than a 4-3. Different calls. I'm learning strong safety and free safety. But predominantly I am a strong safety. When the passing strength changes, I'm a free safety, so I need to learn everything. I want to know the whole defense. I want to be a leader back there. More vocal and by my athletic ability. I feel very comfortable in the defense so far. ... Looks like it's gonna be a fun year."

Landry added muscle in anticipation of playing in the box more often this season. He said he weighs about 230 pounds and plans to reach 240. In the 2009 Redskins media guide, Landry was listed at 210.

Time to update that Landry has big muscles thread, eh? :D

I don't know why, but I just don't like this dude for some strange reason.

I can see why he rubs people in the wrong way. He's definitely a little bit more immature than a lot of the guys we're used to here (his sometimes over-the-top celebrating, his over-zealousness in tackling, a little ****iness that comes out in his interviews, etc...), but I don't think he's necessarily a problem like people make him out to be. Just childish in some ways... I just think people here go too far in wanting every player to act and say exactly how they think that players should act and say. Some guys just have different personalities. As long as I don't hear about him getting in trouble off the field and he doesn't throw other players/coaches under the buss, I don't have much of a problem with him even though I'd honestly like him to be more mature and conscious of how he comes across at times.

honestly I like LL I think he can still live up to being a pro bowl safety with a good coach but plz just stop the over celebrating I just hated watching him make one tackle and he would get up and make a pose or something ....then a few plays later he would get burnt deep DROVE ME CRAZY I hope Shanny wont put up with that

The whole article reflected LL's early promise when ST was back there with him. I really look forward to seeing him in the box a lot more. It's where he belongs, where he was drafted to play, and where his skill set shines through the most.

The question is, if he's going to be primarily back at SS, what happens to Doughty/Moore/Horton? That's a lot more depth than it would appear we need and with Blache gone, I doubt the Cobra package will come out as often. Any rumors/ideas that anybody might know about?

it seems as if we have way too many SS's than FS's... I think eric barry, darren sharper, or myron rolle could be serious possibilities

if eric berry happens im going to cry myself to sleep that night. and probably ever sunday during the season. WE NEED OT RD 1 AND NOTHING BUT

If you don't like him for "whatever reason" that's cool, but what did he say in this exactly that would make you not like him? He seemed to be saying a lot of the right things in this one.

One article of him "saying the right things" does not erase my memory of him continuing to do the wrong things on a regular basis.

If Landry moves to a more permanent strong safety role, what happens to Doughty and Horton? Doughty might have been our most consistent player on defense (with the exception of Fletcher) and was a terrific tackler in run support. And Horton obviously showed great promise in a similar role but struggled in pass coverage. As it stands now, it doesn't seem like he would ever see the field except for on special teams, even in the Cobra formation (if we're still keeping it).

As much potential as Landry has to excel at strong safety, it almost seems worth it to trade him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, given our superb depth at the position and our plentitude our needs elsewhere on the team.

Credit goes out to Haphaszard in RBN, he's holding down the fort there quite well now. :)

Indeed he is mad props to you Hap:D

"I read ... I heard what [a reporter] was saying, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me."

Guess Kelli won't be many exclusive interviews with LaRon in the future:ols::ols:

I want to know the whole defense. I want to be a leader back there. More vocal and by my athletic ability. I feel very comfortable in the defense so far. ... Looks like it's gonna be a fun year."

Yesssssssss!!!This is what I loved the most out of this interview. LaRon wants to not only know the whole defense, he also wants to be MORE VOCAL and a LEADER :wavetowel

Anyone catch the picture of LL and Carlos working with Slowik on Redskins.com or Redskins blog?? (not sure which one it was). One of the best changes in the coaching staff I believe will be what Slowik does with the d backs. (It almost makes up for Steve Jackson still drawing a paycheck:mad:) The raw talent that Carlos and LaRon have can be utilized and fine tuned with a guy like Slowik coaching them. I am so stoked about the upcoming season...trying to be patient but I really feel like this year is going to be damn good.

HTTR!!!

Who works best at FS? Horton or Doughty?

If we're playing them as a centerfielder I think it will be Moore. He was raw coming in but I remember the coaches were much higher on him for the long term than Horton. Moore will always be remembered for getting stripped by Robert Meacham but I think he has the physical tools to be a solid FS. Hopefully he can show he has the mental tools for it as well.

I've heard comparisons of our version of the 3-4 to the variation the Steelers run. I was wondering if Landry would be played in a Polamalu type role flying around in the box but it sounds like Landry is going to be more of an enforcer/fifth linebacker. 240 is HUGE for a safety, I've never heard of someone trying to play at that weight. Troy Polamalus is listed at 207 on NFL.com. I thought with their similar athleticism and aggressiveness it would be a good player for him to model his game off of but their body types are completely different now with Troy listed as 5'10 207 and Landry at 6'0 and now 230 aiming at 240.

I'm glad our coaches see Landry as an in the box type safety. I know he can play FS because of his incredible athleticism I just feel like his aggressiveness lends itself to a role closer to the LOS. At least there if he over pursues there should be someone behind him to clean up. I also think he could give QB's something extra to worry about on short and intermediate routes.

im thinkin this puts chris horton at free safety... his coverage is not too bad and with the talk of them trying to get more turnovers i think horton could be a playmaker at free safety

I'm not sure how I feel about Horton at FS. He was getting picked on pretty bad in coverage and actually got benched because of it last season before he got hurt.

I'm not sure how I feel about Horton at FS. He was getting picked on pretty bad in coverage and actually got benched because of it last season before he got hurt.

i guess it could be Moore at FS (it would really but a logjam at SS tho).. it seems like he has the athleticism but he just seems raw still... i just cant see doughty as he seems too slow and not athletic enough

Glad to see it sounds like he's going to be on the roster post-draft. I do want more picks, but I think we'd be selling him at his lowest value since we took him. In addition, he's an impact player from a physical skills standpoint and its just on the staff and Laron to translate that to the field.

Archived