Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Devin Thomas vs. Malcom Kelly

sikizler

Devin Thomas

PROS:

Explosiveness / Playmaking ability / Raw talent / Deep threat / YAC / Eager to prove himself as offensive weapon in this league. He can/will be exciting when he has the ball in his hands.

CONS:

Route Running / Catching the ball with his HANDS (not jumping and catching in his stomach) / Awareness-Discipline / Consistency

Unsure:

Run blocking?

Malcolm Kelly

PROS:

Size-Large target for QB (towers over DB's) / Great run blocking ability / Excellent Hands (looks unbelievably smooth looking the ball into his hands)

CONS:

Speed-Quickness

Unsure:

Route running?

Overall, I like what these two young guns bring to the table for us and see a lot of potential in their future here with the Skins now that a legitimate QB is running this offense. I don't know how many times I saw recievers wide the **** open while JC held onto the ball until he was eating dirt. (Yes I know, O-line blah blah blah)

I'm expecting big numbers from both of these guys. I think our new offensive minds will utilize Kelly's size in the WCO with a lot of short yardage 5-10 yard passes and fades, while DT is, sure I'll say it, our #1 receiver and goto man hopefully ripping plenty of 10/15+ yard gains. Moss's role can then be WR screens / burning ****s down the sideline and breaking ankles from the slot.

IMO the job of a QB is to elevate his teammates on and off the field, specifically speaking on the field by putting the ball where his receivers can make a play. I believe Donavan will do just that and we will see very different results from our offense this time around.

(DRAFT O-LINE and LB) :point2sky

I don't know if I am alone in noticing this, but Kelly scares the hell out of me after he catches the ball. It almost looks like Kelly doesn't know how to lower his shoulders to either run over a defender or absorb a hit properly.

Yeah I get a little nervous when the Comb is out there movin' and groovin'. He's just so long and swan-like, it seems like he could be an easy target over the middle.

I think all of us are pretty much just expecting his knees to explode and spray confetti/glitter all over the field after a big hit or awkward fall. I love me some Comb, so I hope he goes out there this year and just dominates.

a clip of Devin signing for a kid before a game. Pretty cool thing to do for the kid.

I like both. On top of some of the highlights people mention I like their willingness in the blocking game.

Here's the reverse.

the Bronco's play referenced above.

With Marko as well we are looking good at WR, add in Cooley and Davis and mix it up with some Kyle and give it to McNabb to enjoy. Just need an OL by hook or crook.

IMO the job of a QB is to elevate his teammates on and off the field, specifically speaking on the field by putting the ball where his receivers can make a play. I believe Donavan will do just that and we will see very different results from our offense this time around.

(DRAFT O-LINE and NT)

He's already taken control of the team. I'm a Jason fan but it's night and day already. OL and we're legit if we get good NT production from other than Haynesworth. If we can get 2 guys on our DL commanding double teams in the middle our pass rush is going to be sick. GL run D was great last year with Haynesworth. Another similar size guy won't hurt.

The year Malcolm Kelly shows why many believed he was the best prospect in the '08 wide out class now that he has both a top notch play caller to get him involved; and a more than competent QB to actually get him the darn ball.

Doe's that answer the question on my favourite? (BTW, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Thomas, Mitchell and Davis have career break-out years too.).

Hail.

Somebody has to have some clips of his 7 catches from that Saints game, somewhere. Oh, and a clip of his downright ill moves he laid down versus the Broncos this last year.

Broncos:

(wouldn't let me embed properly for some reason)

And this is a Campbell highlight video from Week 13 last year, but a lot of the big catches Thomas made are shown in this video.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d814c1169

He's already taken control of the team. I'm a Jason fan but it's night and day already. OL and we're legit if we get good NT production from other than Haynesworth. If we can get 2 guys on our DL commanding double teams in the middle our pass rush is going to be sick. GL run D was great last year with Haynesworth. Another similar size guy won't hurt.

I agree about our potential for WR's looking godo but have to disagree regarding Jason/Donovan. I agree that McNabb is a better QB and probably a better leader but I don't see how it's night and day already. All of the players publicly supported Jason the exact same way they are supporting McNabb. What they're saying now might actually be more honest but we don't have any evidence to support that.

The main pros and cons --Thomas' superior explosiveness and playmaking ability along with Kelly's better hands and size -- have been pretty well addressed. I think Kelly's run blocking ability (unmentioned by all but one poster unless I missed something) will guarantee him some significant time on the field. He made some great blocks last year and I think Shanahan will take notice. I recall reading that Shanahan covets receivers who can contribute to bettering the run-game.

edit..

Some insights from Shanahan on what made Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey such effective receivers..

They both had the ability to catch the football extremely well. They both were fearless blockers, fearless competitors," Shanahan said of Smith and McCaffrey. "Everything you look for in a football player. No prima donna in either of them.

"They were going to come on every play and give you everything they had. They set the foundation for our running game. How often can you get wide receivers that can block? Well, you get wide receivers who can block, then you got a chance to do something special."

im torn between the 2...... however one thing i can guarantee is that if Mcnabb stays healthy, we will have a 100 catch 1000 yd receiver... both DT and malCOMB should do very well id DMAC can make guys like freddy mitchell and todd pinkerbell and countless others have good seasons, it should be no prob to make our guys do that. wild card is marko mitchell, he was a stud last preseason and it was no fluke. if we get a line that can protect mcnabb we will have a great year

Devin's the better receiver of the two,imo. Devin really impressed me last year in two games the Bronco game where he puts the moves on the defender and is able to gain some serious yac. Then the Saints game he took a vicious hit from Sharper but got up,didn't try to exact revenge ,or get all in his face, He just lined up and did his job. Devin is hungry,and driven to become as good as he can. I love that.

Malcolm showed promise with his 80 yard catch vs the Chargers. I've heard Keenan has been very complentary of his progress,so far. That bodes well for the team.

I personally think they shouldn't forget that Marko is also wanting to into the mix too;).

I think now that McNugget is here they both will show how good they can be. I think they both bring different things to the table. Devin is a built like a brick **** house and has speed, moves and is really strong. Kelly is tall and has excellent hands. The guy catches everything that comes his way. I am really excited to think about next season with McNugget throwing them the ball.

Bring on Marshall or T.O. or both. :)

Thomas was in some games not in others.

Kelly was non existant except for maybe one game.

Moss is usually hurt or double teamed.

Waiting on my man Mitchell.

Someone has to fill ARE's spot.

We need playmakers. I too hope the new WR position coach can coach them better but after 2 yrs I think we still need playmakers. Bring in T.O. for 2 yrs at his requested 5 mill. That gives the new coaching staff time to coach up Thomas and Kelly before letting T.O. go. Getting Marshall also would be icing on the cake.

T.O.

Marshall

Moss

Thomas

Kelly

Mitchell

see how it plays out in preseason, if Kelly does not step up cut bait. We'd still have...

T.O.

Marshall

Moss

Thomas

Mitchell

Umm, T.O. with McNabb is NOT a winning combination... it's a nuclear time bomb planted in the locker room.

Archived