Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Devin Thomas vs. Malcom Kelly

sikizler

I know it's not Sonny/Billy, but these two will forever be linked because they play the same position and were drafted in the same round of the same draft. I also know that we all want them both to excel but it seems like a lot of ESers have taken a side.

I feel like Devin has shown more in limited opportunities for both of them. He's shown some explosiveness in the reverse for a score against the Giants and that TD that was called back against the Cards, etc. I know Malcolm has had some lingering issues but none of his plays stick out to me. What do the rest of you think?

I actually remember getting really high on Kelly during the preseason last year. He catches the ball with such a fluid and smooth motion. I don't think he's the deep threat that Thomas might be with McNabb at the helm but I can see multiple 7-10 yard completions on slants and curls with Kelly running the routes.

It's just gonna be one of those wait-and-see situations. It'll be fun to see if McNabb connects better with the smaller, faster Desean Jackson type (like Moss is) or the bigger, possession receivers in this system.

Kelly has the long stride and if he gets past guys he has enough speed on the top end to hopefully getr a TD. That game against the chargers I think it was cason that chased him down at the very end, cason is a pretty fast CB and it took him 50 yards to catch him. Kelly has the hands and, body, and body control to be a good wr in this league. He just lacks the initial explosiveness off the line.

Thomas on the other hand doesn't seem to play as fast as his 40, I havent seen much from him at all and that reverse if you noticed Jason Campbell was running along side of him most of the play. Didn't do alot for me =(

can't we all just get along? JK ... I think (and hope) they will both explode this year with McNabb getting them the ball.

They should be used in way that utilizes the individual talents. Kelly's height, physical range and DT's toughness, YAC, aggressiveness, etc.

Devin is better in space. Malcolm can make tough catches over the middle. It remains to be seen which one is the better red-zone threat, so I have to say it's close to a toss-up at this point, with the edge going to Devin for production.

I don't think he's the deep threat that Thomas might be with McNabb at the helm but I can see multiple 7-10 yard completions on slants and curls with Kelly running the routes.

+1

They are different types of players... It's like asking who is better, Randy Moss or Larry Fitzgerald (extreme example, but you know what I mean).

If I were to pick which one has the better chance to pan out, it'd be Devin, mainly because of Kelly's injury history. I could see them both making impacts this season.... maybe 800 yds and 8 tds between the two of them with McNabb at QB and ARE out of the way (which is good considering Moss, Davis and Cooley will be getting targets as well)

From a production standpoint, Thomas was better last season. Kelly started to step up more towards the end of the season but if they both need to step up. Hopefully now that McNabb's in the picture we can utilize Santana Moss on more deep plays as well. Would love to see him have another 1500 yd season.

really i think that they complement each other's game quite well.

i personally am a huge kelly fan, but d.t is looking to become a powerful, slashing machine.

im really a big fan of the potential of WR because McNabb is gonna get the ball to them.

that reverse if you noticed Jason Campbell was running along side of him most of the play. Didn't do alot for me =(

I noticed and JC threw a pretty sweet block in there. I thought that was more Devin staying with his blocker (even if it was a QB) than a lack of speed. And yeah my bad on leaving out the play against SD. Have to admit I wasn't as tuned in at that point last year.

I wish Kelly got into the endzone on that long completion against the Chargers. He would have never been caught if his and ARE's routes weren't so close. I don't know if they were so close because of the play design or if one of them ran a poor route.

Well i think your looking at two different skill sets and you can't really compare them like that.

Thomas is the sideline deep threat, where Malcom is the possession receiver coming across the middle.

They both have things they can do well, it's up to the Shanahan clan to get that out of them.

I wish Kelly got into the endzone on that long completion against the Chargers. He would have never been caught if his and ARE's routes weren't so close. I don't know if they were so close because of the play design or if one of them ran a poor route.

Their routes really weren't the problem... It was more about Kelly running out of gas and not being as fast. Lol.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUR0N6GN5cA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUR0N6GN5cA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I think Thomas will end up with more explosive plays and a higher accumulation of yards throughout the course of the season, but Kelly needs to be utilized in the end zone.

I dont know if Zorn didnt know what a fade was or if JC just cant throw one, but we need to match him up against the shorter CBs and throw jump balls to him. Thats one thing that I NEVER saw last year. Just seems like a waste of a RZ opportunity and Kelly's height.

I think Thomas will end up with more explosive plays and a higher accumulation of yards throughout the course of the season, but Kelly needs to be utilized in the end zone.

I dont know if Zorn didnt know what a fade was or if JC just cant throw one, but we need to match him up against the shorter CBs and throw jump balls to him. Thats one thing that I NEVER saw last year. Just seems like a waste of a RZ opportunity and Kelly's height.

There were a couple of times last year when we tried to throw the fade to Kelly. One I remember vividly was Malcolm went up for it but didn't have the correct positioning and ended up out of bounds. The commentators indicated that the ball was thrown fine it was just that Kelly had to twist in a way that he couldn't come down with the ball properly. Hopefully though he'll get many opportunities to do that in games this year. Once or twice in the RZ all year just doesn't cut it for a guy with his size.

I see them as totaly different types of recievers, and hope that Shanahan will utilize them both. I know McNabb will. I see DT as the speedy, YAC reciever. He fights hard. But MK has better natural hands, and he's more of a possession guy, to get those tough yards for a first or go up for a fade in the endzone.

On a side note, I love having a QB who can do that!

Also, one of the biggest differences from last year, besides the change to a competent QB and to a great offensive scheme, is that ARE is GONE. So in 3 WR sets, unless Marko really impresses in camp, DT and MK will both be on the field almost ALL THE TIME.

They will produce, in exciting ways, just wait.

Their routes really weren't the problem... It was more about Kelly running out of gas and not being as fast. Lol.

Thanks for posting the video. I agree, Cason just made a great play to run him down. Looks like right around midfield, it was apparent that he wasn't going to score. Maybe he could have taken a different angle or hurdled at the end or ran full speed ahead instead of looking back but that's easy for me to say.

Anyone remember Anthony Mix? haha

Archived