Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We lack quality and depth on the offensive side of the ball. e

BillyKilmer

We iack quality and depth on the offensive side of the ball.

I don’t know that three players we currently have under contract on the offense would start at any of our NFC east rivals.

I think McNabb is a very good QB but he has little to be thrilled about when he looks at our roster.

Cooley & Davis at TE are our only strength.

Santana is own the downside of his career (I hope McNabb revitalizes it)

Other then these guys no one on the offense is anyone to strike fear in an opponent.

Unless we can gather additional picks via trades and trading down Shanahan has his work cut out for him.

I disagree.

Moss is still a weapon with elite speed. Thomas and Kelly have been held back by bad schemes and bad play calling and bad QB play (play made worse by the bad OL).

We don't know what we have in Thomas and Kelly yet but I believe what we have seen has been positive and leads me to believe that with Kyle S. calling the plays and McNabb throwing the ball both of them will show they we deserving of 2nd round picks.

As for McNabb he is one of the winningest QB's in the league and has played in the big games. He can still chuck it and can still elude pash rushers. He will get the most out of our receiving core. A core which includes 2 dangerous pass catching TE's.

The issue is our OL. The draft this year and next will address that. I am looking at the 2011 season as being one that could be great for us and the one where the franchise takes it's real strides to being elite again.

I don’t know that three players we currently have under contract on the offense would start at any of our NFC east rivals.

McNabb, Cooley and Moss would all be starters. Moss may be not be an elite WR but he would be the #2 on any team in the NFC East. If he is healthy and motivated you can make a case for Portis certainly for the Eagles. Davis is a quality player at TE as well.

Your point is valid though. A lot depends on the impact McNabb makes on the development of Thomas and Kelly

What jumps out to me is not one of current starters on the O'line would likely be more than a backup. In breaking news the O'line is our problem area and something we still need to address or we are going nowhere no matter who is the QB.

I think defenses respecting Donovan will ease the pressure up for the run game, and since there is less pressure for the run game, it will improve. With an improved run game, that will ease pressure on the offensive line for passing plays...

I think it is all cyclical. All linked together. So, I think our offensive line will be better this year.

Flozell + Okung will fix our OLine woes...I think we have solid "backup" guard/tackles. what we need is starters...Although, Flozell is a dirty player and was a CRYBOY, i think we need more linemen to compete for a starting role.

What I like about what I am seeing is that Shanahan is clearly making this HIS team. I think we have a ways to go before we see what this offensive (and defense) will really look like but for right now I like what I'm seeing. What we do leading up to and at this draft will be very telling.

I think McNabb is a very good QB but he has little to be thrilled about when he looks at our roster.

Other then these guys no one on the offense is anyone to strike fear in an opponent.

Unless we can gather additional picks via trades and trading down Shanahan has his work cut out for him.

I agree BK. Although McNabb could make players around him better it won't matter with our average offensive players. Without getting into the OL, we still lack the playmakers that other teams in the division have ie Felix Jones, Bradshaw, Austin, McCoy, Jackson, Maclin. I would go even further and say that we lack depth on both sides of the ball. This is why some ESers, including this poster have favored keeping/hoarding draft picks and rebuilding.

I agree BK. Although McNabb could make players around him better it won't matter with our average offensive players. Without getting into the OL, we still lack the playmakers that other teams in the division have ie Felix Jones, Bradshaw, Austin, McCoy, Jackson, Maclin. I would go even further and say that we lack depth on both sides of the ball. This is why some ESers, including this poster have favored keeping/hoarding draft picks and rebuilding.

i disagree. I think we have loads of talent but we couldnt utilize it correctly. McNabb + Shanahan + RB depth + a revamped OL will keep our opposition guessing.

let's not be soo pessimistic. We'll be a pretty good team this year.

we have talent for sure ... the real question is whether these guys are coach-able enough to be utilized in the right way. I'll take a wait and see approach, but if I were a betting man I would put my money on Shanny improving this offense (at least slightly).

I think Devin Thomas and hope Malcolm Kelley (and Davis) are going to be able to take another step up in their development this year. I am really excited to see Devin Thomas. The guy has the determination to be the best, he has a high-motor and you know he WANTS to be the best.

The running game will be fueled by constant competition. If the GMen can have three 1,000 yard rushers in a season ... I have to believe that CP, LJ and WP can give us some good production. I don;t 4xpect a playoff run this year, but i do expect to win more than 4 games.

No one likes Sellers anymore either? :(

Just to add, Devin would start on any of the teams as well. He's better than Manningham and Roy Williams and would be 2 or 3 with Maclin and Jackson.

I also think a case can be made that we have the best QB in the NFC East RIGHT NOW as well.

You mentioned the tight ends...

That about covers it, but heck, we got 1 or 2 wideouts, a fullback, 2 tight ends and a QB. That's a lot when comparing to 3 other teams.

We should be light-years better this upcomming season:

-If we can limit the number of injuries. Something the coaching staff and GM are working to address with the revamped conditioning program.

-If we can draft OT than can start from day one and solidify that potion. Very possible with a #4 pick.

-If the defense can properly transition from 4-3 to a 3-4. This one scares me a bit.

I agree with the people that disagree.

IMHO, we need two starting tackles. I think we have enough to win at the other positions including backups. I think the interior of the line will be better this season. I like who we have on the roster. And, McNabb will make the receivers better.

That said, getting two starting tackles is a tall order and could cause problems all year if we don't fill those positions. And that includes depth.

I agree with the people that disagree.

IMHO, we need two starting tackles. I think we have enough to win at the other positions including backups. I think the interior of the line will be better this season. I like who we have on the roster. And, McNabb will make the receivers better.

That said, getting two starting tackles is a tall order and could cause problems all year if we don't fill those positions. And that includes depth.

Agree with your disagreement....lol.

Not only will McNabb make the receivers better, but he'll make the O-line look better than they really are as well. That's not to say we don't need O-line help. Clearly we do. But DM5 is far more mobile and elusive in the pocket than JC and that extra few tenths of a second he'll buy in the pocket, combined with a MUCH quicker release will be a HUGE help while the FO addresses the needs at O-line.

Nope I disagree. At one point Mcnabbs starting wideouts were Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mitchell, and James Thrash. Those are scrubs to the max and they still competed. Mcnabb has only had a clear cut #1 in his entire career and that was TO. They went to the sb together.

Point being Mcnabb has done a great job with trash receivers; and a lack of a running game. Eagles have run the ball only 41% of the time under Andy Reid, lowest in football.

Not the case here, Shanahan will run the ball and take the pressure of Mcnabb. Our receiving corp is good, not great but definitely better than what Donovan played with most of his career.

I think the pairing of the Shanahans and Mcnabb has potential to do great things here. Finally we have the ability put some points on the board.

Completely disagree with the OP and it's our depth that makes me really excited about the teams 2010 season.

QB - Starter will be McNabb, backup will be Rex Grossman, 3rd string will be ?

About Grossman, he's expirenced. As well as knowing Kyle's offense having been Shaubs backup last year. If you want to know how important it is that your backup QB knows the offense just look at Todd Collins. Also it's possible that Jason Campbell ends up being the backup and everyone should know by now that JC can play. Our backup at QB is fine.

RB - Starter is Portis, backup 1 will be Larry Johnson, backup 2 will be Willie Parker.

All I can say is all of these guys are starters in the league and this is the best our RB groups been since 2006. Backups are fine here

TE - Cooley starter, Davis backup

Enough said here already, both guys are fine

WR - Santana Moss, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, Marko Mitchell, and ?

While Moss is the only established star in this league that doesn't mean that the other guys suck. I believe our depth here is fine because of McNabb. He always makes WR's stars. What other QB could make Kevin Curtis a weapon in this league?

The only depth that worries me is the offensive line but we don't know what we do here and you know we will address this before the start of the year. I have no comment on this yet.

Archived