Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs II era finally over

tonyriggins

Jason Campbell the biggest tie to Joe Gibbs on this team will proabley be trade or released. Gibbs II biggest struggles was that position the quarterbacks or perhaps he was just hard headed and stubborn, the thing I remember is he would not move off his hand picked QBs dispite thier performance. I am so tired of those short passes, Zorn continued doing that. To be honest I am not so sure that the new coach isnt going to do the same thing. But at least we have a QB that has run the West coast offense for several years. I really hope that we throw the ball down the field more!

I dont have anything against Campbell, I think Gibbs reached in the draft for him, but he turnout to be ok. I think he will do better if he gets on a team that will throw mid-range.

Ummm. What about Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, London Fletcher, Mike Sellers, and Santana Moss?

1) Could me gone.

2) Trade-able (according to some, not to me!).

3) Not really a Gibbs guy like the other four are.

4) Terrible now and could be gone. Didn't we sign a fullback?

5) The guy holding Devin Thomas's spot.

Ummm. What about Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, London Fletcher, Mike Sellers, and Santana Moss?

And LaRon Landry, H.B. Blades, Rocky McIntosh, Anthony Montgomery, Reed Doughty, Carlos Rogers, Derrick Dockery, Casey Rabach, Stephon Heyer, Kedric Golston, Lorenzo Alexander, Andre Carter, Phillip Daniels, Todd Yoder, and Chris Wilson.

This roster still has more Gibbs influence than Shannahan influence as it stands right now. Even after the roster is cut down to 53, year one will still be a more Gibbs influenced team than a Shannahan influence team.

];7426832']You might want to get used to the short passes' date=' because that's kind of the staple of the WCO.

The key is to consistently turn them into solid gains and eventually open up the defense for the occasional long ball.[/quote']

What is this long ball that you speak of ?

I don't think the roster will look significantly different from Gibbs' for another 2-3 years. But acquiring McNabb, bringing in competition for Portis, and cutting guys like ARE all look like a good start to me. By opening day NEXT season, I expect to see a very very different roster, especially with a large FA class coming out.

One COULD, not me, make the argument that if this team wins it's mostly Vinny and Gibbs men.

I would, because currently, it is. There is still a long off season, and a lot can happen, but right now, this is still a mostly Gibbs team.

The Shanahan era is the same approach Gibbs II took....

#1. Sign a veteran QB that fits your scheme

#2. Sign a pro bowl RB

#3. Trade draft picks for other team's veterans to fill holes.

* In fact the only difference the Shanny era has over the Gibbs II era is the fact that Bruce Allen doesn't sign the veterans for stupid astronomical contracts. Cerrato would just throw a number out there to get players to sign with us before exploring other options.*

But in the end Shanny and Gibbs have the same approach and the result will once again get us to the playoffs. McNabb is better than Brunell so it might get us deeper into the playoffs.

I get the OP.

The Zorn era was like Gibbs 2.5. Not really a new OS, more like an update.

Yea and if Zorn could coach the Redskins would've been playoff bound due to the fact that Gibbs left a pretty solid foundation. The team went 6-2 at the start of 2008 with Gibbs players and Gibbs running game. Zorn just didn't know how to adjust for a late season push.

I'm not so certain this is a good thing. I'm not sure I like what I see so far from the Shanahan era.

Why? Is it because he hasn't thrown extremely large contracts at players because of what they have accomplished and not because of what they can still do? Or maybe it's because he added more older players for dirt cheap then younger ones? It's not his fault we don't have that many draft picks this year, those our mistakes of the last FO that was in place. Or maybe because he cleaned up 30 mil of cap space by cutting 11 players who forgot what it takes to play in the NFL(Except maybe cartwright)? Or maybe because he managed to do something that no other coach that we have had could do in the past decade, bring in a franchise QB that could lead this team? Oh yeah, thats got to be it, maybe because he has reestablished discipline and accountablility before the first practice even took place? Or maybe it's because he has brought back a high level of respect to our franchise which has been laughed at and mocked for the past decade? Or maybe it's because he respects the deep values and tradition of our beloved franchise? Or maybe because he has changed the mindset of every fan and player, not with false hope of the past, but with a feeling that our franchise is finally going back in the right direction? Or maybe you didn't see anything wrong with the state of our franchise in the past decade? In the words of the NFL Live cast "COME ON MAN" you got to be kidding me how can you not like the dramatic change seen just since he was annouced as the head coach? He has made so many drastic corrections from mistakes of the past already. WOW:logo:

I think the Gibbs II stamp is here (Portis, Moss, and Cooley being the 3 I will forever link to Gibbs).

But the team has a very different feel to it. So there's some lingering Gibbs II on the roster but in the weight room, locker room, etc., it's distinctly different.

You need to be a Redskin supporter....I'm just glad that the Gibbs II and Zorn I era is finally over......If you want to support the team that gets JC PLEASE leave NOW and don't let the door hit you in your ass on the way out.

Well Zorn didn't exactly tear down the house after Gibbs.

I view Zorn's term as a continuation of Gibbs 2.0 and not an entirely new OS like we have with ShanAllen.

I view Zorn, as much as I like the guy, as the step down. We went from filet mignon to a Ribeye. Now we're looking at a nice T-Bone.

Jason Campbell the biggest tie to Joe Gibbs on this team will proabley be trade or released. Gibbs II biggest struggles was that position the quarterbacks or perhaps he was just hard headed and stubborn, the thing I remember is he would not move off his hand picked QBs dispite thier performance. I am so tired of those short passes, Zorn continued doing that. To be honest I am not so sure that the new coach isnt going to do the same thing. But at least we have a QB that has run the West coast offense for several years. I really hope that we throw the ball down the field more!

I dont have anything against Campbell, I think Gibbs reached in the draft for him, but he turnout to be ok. I think he will do better if he gets on a team that will throw mid-range.

Now if only we can get rid of the Riggins era of posting.

Imagine taking over a business where the equipment is not the best, Mike Shanahan did that, first thing he did was get rid of the equipment that was not working properly or was too expensive to keep, (AH has been kept because the previous boss paid too much, and had no idea what he was doing, or so it seemed) he is now trying to replace the equipment he disposed of, and will in the future replace the replacements with newer equipment when he can, at the moment he doesn't have the resources(draft picks) to be able to do that, again because the previous boss was unthinking in the way he used draft picks to get over the hill players. I am excited about this next season like i have not been for a long time, we could really upset some teams this year, and personally i love the acquisition of the new QB, we are going to be a threat this season.

Archived