Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs II era finally over

tonyriggins

I don't think 4 years are long enough to be considered an era but I do agree that the only shot at a lasting positive legacy Gibbs 2 had was Jason Campbell. If JC had been the qb to steer this team back to being a consistent winner then that could have been credited to Gibbs 2. As of now, with Jason's removal as starter, Gibbs 2 officially lost the last chance at a positive legacy. Now it's just yet another losing series of seasons.

Well for starters, Zorn never had an era, after Gibbs 2.0, it was Vinny.

With that said, the Shanny era will not truly start until week #1, and wont be determined for about 2-3 years, after a few drafts, and aquisitions to get the team where he wants it.

Wait, I thought the Gibbs era = trading draft picks for old players?

This is Shannahan's Brunell. I'd imagine we'll see one 2005 Brunell season, followed MAYBE by another, and then we'll see Brunell in 2006. Except the year will be 2012 and Brunell will be wearing #5 with the name "McNabb" on the back of his jersey. And we'll be sitting here wondering why we gave up picks for an old, formerly mobile-but-not-really-anymore when we could have rolled the dice on a couple of QB prospects that are actually pretty good.

IMO the biggest detriment during Gibbs II was trading too many draft picks so that insufficient young players were drafted and moved from depth behind Gibbs' veterans to starters once those vets were getting old and injured a few seasons down the road. Our OL is in dire need of repair for this very reason.

Lack of depth killed us during Gibbs II and ended 2 promising trips into the playoffs, and that's because we traded away too many resources (draft picks) and lost other young players due to cap limits (Pierce, Clark, Dockery, Smoot, etc.)

I'm so glad we have a legitimate QB finally! I don't know why but I had this unfaltering faith that Campbell would somehow get better. Now that he is a backup I can finally accept what all my friends who are fans of other teams have been telling me. Indeed he sucks!

Archived