Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 commandments of a good Qb

Dirk Diggler

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/032810dnspotaylor.3bd3b86.html

As the eternal Jason Campbell debate will heat up in the coming months, I thought it would be a good discussion topic to apply these commandments from a guy who bounces around from franchise to franchise, yet never seems to get caught without a good QB: Bill Parcells. I like this list because it doesn't qualify the questions with "assuming you have good WRs, or RBs or OTs..." which is another debate entirely. It limits the discussion to what the QB can truly control. Anyway, I think that JC fails to get a check mark when it comes to half of these questions, but I'm interested in what the rest of you have to say.

2, 4, and 9 are the three i think he struggles with the most.

2. He never really looks comfortable or like he's having a good time playing. Obviously the line problems are a huge part of this

4. Again, never really looks 100 percent confident in the plays or his teammates, knowing where theyre supposed to be, etc. Changing playbooks are big here.

9. He's consistent and hard working but sometimes that isn't enough. His stats have improved but our record is going down. He needs to work smarter not harder and not make things more difficult than they need to be for him. Needs to get better at knowing when to take a chance downfield and when to play conservative, but he can't play not to lose the whole game.

This was a good article. I purposefully didn't drag other qb's into this discussion because Campbell's the only one we can judge based on last season. But for the record i'd like to see what the other guys have to offer.

Edit: I think 10 should be in here too. There never seems to be any sense of urgency in our two minute drills

Basically Campbell is solid but unspectacular. A good back up. I definitley think he plays too reactionary. Too concerned with damage control and not losing the game. For him to be successful this year i think his main focus needs be getting better at recognizing chances to go on the OFFENSIVE so to speak. Taking advantage of what the other team gives him and give the team an early lead in a game for once. We need an offensive identity and to take some of the pressure off so every game doesn't come down to a nailbiter ending where were relying on our exhauseted defense to save the game.

2, 4, and 9 are the three i think he struggles with the most.

2. He never really looks comfortable or like he's having a good time playing. Obviously the line problems are a huge part of this

4. Again, never really looks 100 percent confident in the plays or his teammates, knowing where theyre supposed to be, etc. Changing playbooks are big here.

9. He's consistent and hard working but sometimes that isn't enough. His stats have improved but our record is going down. He needs to work smarter not harder and not make things more difficult than they need to be for him. Needs to get better at knowing when to take a chance downfield and when to play conservative, but he can't play not to lose the whole game.

This was a good article. I purposefully didn't drag other qb's into this discussion because Campbell's the only one we can judge based on last season.

Edit: I think 10 should be in here too. There never seems to be any sense of urgency in our two minute drills

I agree. Even with number 10.

JC has a plodding pace to him while playing QB. There isn't any urgency or explosiveness.

I think he does quite a good job with most of the list (in particular 11) but he just doesn't seem to have the sense of urgency needed at the QB spot

IMO Campbell does a great job with 1,2,3,6,7, and 11

1) Last season and this season the entire offseason discussion centered around his performance and weither he would/should be replaced and last season he did a good job of tuning that out.

2) I dont think anyone would accuse JC of being anything other than professional in his approach towards football. He has been doing a great job in that category IMO.

3) JC is not easy to bring down in the pocket. He is very physical and he also has lots of practice in how to avoid the rush. Downside is that he occationally takes his eyes off the field to see the rushers.

6) JC is very consistent in his professional approach. This year he has taken a slightly more vocal role, but he is very reliable from an outsiders view. Even his mistakes are consistent...

7) Last year he actually didnt throw the ball away as much, usually getting sacked or forcing a throw before he could. Throught his career he has shown a great deal of potential as a "game manager" however. Last season seemed to be more of a coaching thing than anything else.

11) He is very low key. He only has had one big commercial and that one even made fun of his annonymity (Jason Candle anyone?)

On the flip side he will struggle with a few on this list.

4) New system again. We already know that this system will be similar to Zorn's, but new terminology and new playbook. Also he has shown that he takes time to really grasp a new playbook.

5) On the fence about this one. He has a good connection with his TE's, and near the end of the season he and Devin Thomas started to show some good chemistry. He and Moss really havent connected much at all...IMO more because of Moss' drops than Campbell, but fault is on both sides.

8) Problem #1 right here. Campbell really hasnt come into his own in 2 minute situations, and the list of clock management blunders this franchise has had over his tenure is enough to make me physically ill.

9) New Problem #1. The Redskins offense can be optimistically described as Anemic. This has been the case since before Campbell was here, but he certainly hasnt changed it. Oh for the days of Brad Johnson.

10) This is something that he needs to improve on. When he was getting hit last season he seemed to project a "here we go again" attitude. His lack of confidence in the O-Line could have affected the O-Line's lack of confidence in themselves, creating a self fulfilling prophecy. I think that this one would change if he was confident in the talent around him.

Jason Campbell is a game manager style QB who will probably never be elite. He still has numerous upsides, and has the potential to be very good in the right environment. I wholeheartedly support him starting this season, and if he plays well he should be extended for a few years.

1) Last season and this season the entire offseason discussion centered around his performance and weither he would/should be replaced and last season he did a good job of tuning that out.

2) I dont think anyone would accuse JC of being anything other than professional in his approach towards football. He has been doing a great job in that category IMO.

3) JC is not easy to bring down in the pocket. He is very physical and he also has lots of practice in how to avoid the rush. Downside is that he occationally takes his eyes off the field to see the rushers.

6) JC is very consistent in his professional approach. This year he has taken a slightly more vocal role, but he is very reliable from an outsiders view. Even his mistakes are consistent...

7) Last year he actually didnt throw the ball away as much, usually getting sacked or forcing a throw before he could. Throught his career he has shown a great deal of potential as a "game manager" however. Last season seemed to be more of a coaching thing than anything else.

11) He is very low key. He only has had one big commercial and that one even made fun of his annonymity (Jason Candle anyone?)

On the flip side he will struggle with a few on this list.

4) New system again. We already know that this system will be similar to Zorn's, but new terminology and new playbook. Also he has shown that he takes time to really grasp a new playbook.

5) On the fence about this one. He has a good connection with his TE's, and near the end of the season he and Devin Thomas started to show some good chemistry. He and Moss really havent connected much at all...IMO more because of Moss' drops than Campbell, but fault is on both sides.

8) Problem #1 right here. Campbell really hasnt come into his own in 2 minute situations, and the list of clock management blunders this franchise has had over his tenure is enough to make me physically ill.

9) New Problem #1. The Redskins offense can be optimistically described as Anemic. This has been the case since before Campbell was here, but he certainly hasnt changed it. Oh for the days of Brad Johnson.

10) This is something that he needs to improve on. When he was getting hit last season he seemed to project a "here we go again" attitude. His lack of confidence in the O-Line could have affected the O-Line's lack of confidence in themselves, creating a self fulfilling prophecy. I think that this one would change if he was confident in the talent around him.

Jason Campbell is a game manager style QB who will probably never be elite. He still has numerous upsides, and has the potential to be very good in the right environment. I wholeheartedly support him starting this season, and if he plays well he should be extended for a few years.

To the OP I've read this article before, and it is a very good checklist to judge your/any professional QB by...nice find!

I couldn't agree more with your post Annonymous...That was a very fair evaluation of Campbell, and it was spot on in my eyes!

Look at Jason....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZypDzW81-c

Now look at Collins....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00QAdK9jmIw&feature=related

Grossman knows Kyle's system and will probably succeed in it. I hope he is the starter for us this year if Colt does not beat him in QB competition....

With a QB savvy guy like Shanahan...I am confident that he will make the right decision...

Look at Jason....

Now look at Collins....

Grossman knows Kyle's system and will probably succeed in it. I hope he is the starter for us this year if Colt does not beat him in QB competition....

With a QB savvy guy like Shanahan...I am confident that he will make the right decision...

This has got to be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen...

So you take a video of bad plays of one QB against video's of good plays of another? What is that supposed to prove? Post a highlight reel of both QB's equally, then make a judgment...

What if that right decision is JC starting? Will that make him less QB savvy in your eyes?

So you take a video of bad plays of one QB against video's of good plays of another? What is that supposed to prove? Post a highlight reel of both QB's equally, then make a judgment...

What if that right decision is JC starting? Will that make him less QB savvy in your eyes?

and what if it's not which looks like will finally happen. 19-32 life with us and 6-18 for the last 24.

Enough is enough.

Look at Jason....

Now look at Collins....

ROFL, when I saw the first video I said to myself is this a freakin joke??? LOL what a great video. In those videos JC was hardly pressured and still choked. How was blocking an issue on any but one of those plays???

Wow, just wow. Don't even bother watching the second video at all.

Nevermind. Start JC. Again.

ROFL, when I saw the first video I said to myself is this a freakin joke??? LOL what a great video. In those videos JC was hardly pressured and still choked. How was blocking an issue on any but one of those plays???

You know, those first two in that video are from his very first start, right? Edit: Never mind, that was from the 2007 game. In that one, the Skins had 6 total turnovers. It was a bad game overall for the team. Particularly for Portis, who didn't run very well and fumbled twice.

I'm sure you can pick a collection of 10 plays in any players career and make a guy look good or bad based on that.

and what if it's not which looks like will finally happen. 19-32 life with us and 6-18 for the last 24.

Enough is enough.

If it's not, then good luck to JC wherever he lands...See I'm not tied to JC, unlike you I don't think he sucks, or is the worst QB ever...I don't lay ALL of the blame for our offensive woes or the overall poor performance of our team at his feet...If he's here he's here if he's not he's not, it's no skin off my back I will root for the team regardless...

Wow, just wow. Don't even bother watching the second video at all.

Nevermind. Start JC. Again.

"wow, just wow" what the hell are you talking about? I watched both video's...

I'm sure you can pick a collection of 10 plays in any players career and make a guy look good or bad based on that.

This is all I'm saying in regards to the videos...that's why it was ridiculous IMO to think that they proved a point one way or another...

He is not going to start...thats why we brought in Grossman and Shanny is interviewing the top 5 QBs before the draft.

He just lacks what you need to be a good QB...sorry....he will be traded during draft or gone after this year....and I doubt he sees much PT this season.

We need a real QB with accuracy, composure, and knowledge on the playbook....

Not a QB with a strong arm, big heart, and character...

The good thing about Shanny is that he is actually going to bench people when they do not perform..and actually put us in a position to win....and we cannot win with Jason..

I know man!! People keep making excuses for Campbell and I'm not sure why. Campbell is the worst and this is evidence why. He had soo much time in thepocket and he could not complete simple passes in a crowded back field.

The only reason he has success in the Gibbs II era was because the secondary was thin because of Portis' strong run game. Now that passes are expected and the secondary is crowded, Campbell has no chance when trying to throw it accurately.

I disagree.

Campbell has always fretted about outside chatter. Notice in his recent 106.7 interview he whined about how "....everybody is picking on me..".

He definitely does not tune out the criticsm.

Last year he actually didnt throw the ball away as much, usually getting sacked or forcing a throw before he could. Throught his career he has shown a great deal of potential as a "game manager" however. Last season seemed to be more of a coaching thing than anything else.

I disagree it was the coaching. Campbell has had these problems, no matter who the coaches are.

Campbell has, to me, comes across as a very mechanical QB. He seems to go through the motions, like a machine that has been programmed. The game (and the thought process it takes to be a QB) doesn't seem to come naturally to him.

I remember when a reporter asked then HC Zorn about Campbell going through his reads too slow. Zorn corrected him, and said that Campbell was actually going through them too fast.

That told me that, in fact, Campbell wasn't doing his reads at all. He was just going through the 'motions' of doing his reads, simply b/c he was told to do them. He would run through them, then quickly lock back on to his primary receiver (usually Moss).

Campbell just doesn't have a natural feel for the game. So throwing the ball away on a failed play doesn't come naturally to him. I feel a good deal of the sacks the offense accumilated last season was Campbell holding onto the ball b/c he didn't know what to do with it.

New system again. We already know that this system will be similar to Zorn's, but new terminology and new playbook. Also he has shown that he takes time to really grasp a new playbook.

Agree Campbell will have trouble here, but not b/c it is a new system.

Campbell works hard in the offseason, but I just don't think he grasps the complexities of any of the offenses he has run.

Gibbs, Saunders, and Zorn all talked about having to "simplify" their offenses. You usually don't have to do that unless the guy running it, the QB, isn't getting it.

We all had a laugh in another thread about how Devin Thomas said Shanahan was "shocked" at some of the predictabe, simple plays Zorn ran all last year.

Maybe Zorn was running them constantly b/c that was all Campbell could handle.

Campbell usually has good repoire with his RBs and TEs b/c they usually are the ones catching the short passes. The dump-offs.

Campbell is real good at those. :D

He has less repoire with his WRs b/c they are usually the ones going further out.... 15, 20 25+ yards.

Campbell is inaccurate on these longer passes. Now, of course, all QBs are less accurate as the passes get longer, but Campbell is horribly inaccurate. He WAY overthrows WRs,or the ball ends up landing in the dirt yards in front of them.

More than inaccurate, he has no touch on his passes. Instead of putting air under them, they just rocket out there like missiles. So instead of the ball arcing down to the WR, all the WR can do is watch the ball shoot over their head.

It is definietly true that WRs run bad routes and drop passes, but I have a hard time believing that ALL the WRs Campbell has had here are constantly running bad routes and dropping passes.

I think a lot of it is on Campbell.

You description of Campbell in the first sentence of your paragraph is why I feel his days are numbered here.

If you look at what Coach Shanahan says he is looking for in a QB, he is NOT looking for a game manager. He is looking for someone who is not only quick and accurate (which doesn't describe Campbell), but someone who is a bit ****y. Kind of a gunslinger who will take chances down field (which also doesn't describe Campbell).

I don't know what the future of the Redskins' starting QB will be, but I have a feeling it is a future without Campbell.

First of all thanks for the OP, they are interesting points, but there are some aspects of playing QB that are not included like; reading defenses quickly, anticipating receivers getting open and throwing to a spot, accuracy - especially on deep routes when arc on the ball is required, holding the ball too long, etc. The top 11 seem to be related to Romo sits to pee more than QB play in general.

Campbell has struggled with the aspects mentioned above throughout his career, without regard to coaches, line ability, receivers, etc.

BTW, the recently posted video clip on JC's struggles is not the only video where someone points out that JC has "issues" playing the QB position.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81069cc4/Can-Campbell-get-it-done

Really looking forward to open QB competition this year... it will be the first time in quite a while there's been real competition at the position.

I remember when a reporter asked then HC Zorn about Campbell going through his reads too slow. Zorn corrected him, and said that Campbell was actually going through them too fast.

That told me that, in fact, Campbell wasn't doing his reads at all. He was just going through the 'motions' of doing his reads, simply b/c he was told to do them. He would run through them, then quickly lock back on to his primary receiver (usually Moss).

I suspect that him going through his reads too fast (which I have identified a few times) probably happens because he knows in the back of his mind that he needs to get the ball out quickly because of the OL.

There have been times where if he had hung onto his first receiver a little longer, the receiver would have come open.

Campbell works hard in the offseason, but I just don't think he grasps the complexities of any of the offenses he has run.

It is difficult to grasp the complexities when you have to learn a new offense every couple of years. Hopefully, he can build on what he learned under Zorn.

I was going to make this thread... but I was going to do a much better job.
Ummm, I really doubt it... your quote even sucks.
I disagree it was the coaching. Campbell has had these problems, no matter who the coaches are.

Campbell has, to me, comes across as a very mechanical QB. He seems to go through the motions, like a machine that has been programmed. The game (and the thought process it takes to be a QB) doesn't seem to come naturally to him.

Campbell just doesn't have a natural feel for the game. So throwing the ball away on a failed play doesn't come naturally to him. I feel a good deal of the sacks the offense accumilated last season was Campbell holding onto the ball b/c he didn't know what to do with it.

:applause:Wow, IMO this was 100% on the money. Great assessment.

I suspect that him going through his reads too fast (which I have identified a few times) probably happens because he knows in the back of his mind that he needs to get the ball out quickly because of the OL.

That's usually called panic. :D Which isn't a good trait for a starting QB.

Seriously that would tie in to his going through the motions. I don't think Campbell panics in the classic way we know panic, but I think his mind gets frentic. That ties in with #8 on the list with deals with keeping your wits about you.

He doesn't. :) It would explain why he doesnt do well in clock management situations, or kept forgetting what the down and distance was.

Campbell I feel goes through the motions, and when there is even the slightest breakdown or perceived breakdown, or one he is just imagining, it causes problems for him.

It is difficult to grasp the complexities when you have to learn a new offense every couple of years. Hopefully, he can build on what he learned under Zorn.

Many QBs have done less in two years (even one) than Campbell has done in five.

I feel he has trouble with complex offensive schemes, which is why our offenses look so basic whenever he is out there.

He seems to have as much trouble with them as he seems to have with fundamental QB play at times.

I guess we'll see as Shanahan works more with him.

Archived