Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade into first round

skinswin=happy

What does everyone think about possibly trading next year's first round pick and either another later pick or a player like Carter or someone we can easily do with out to move in to the middle of the first round? That way with these two picks we could take Okung with the 4th overall and then get someone like Trent Williams? Doing this would give us our starting LT and RT for years to come and pretty much solidify our OL.

This would allow Campbell to grow with the young recieving corp we have while actually getting some protection.

Just a thought. What do u all think?

Before this thread derails with rabbit pictures and sandwich discussions, I'll give you a quick answer. I am almost NEVER in favor of trading future picks, especially not when our team isn't projected to do all that well next season. There's a good chance we could be in the top 10 again, and I wouldn't want to give that up for pick #24 or something most years.

Most years. I'd actually consider it this year because more players than usual jumped early, due to the cap, or lack of it, and their future earning prospects. With a draft that's as deep as this one could turn out to be, I'd at least consider the idea, depending on how much it costs and which player dropped.

If we land Bradford or Clausen at #4, I'm down for trading our 2nd this year and something else to move back up in the first to take Baluga or one of the other high rated tackles. Or somehow landing another mid to early 2nd without sacrificing our first 2nd and landing two OL prospects.

hmmm....pancake rabbit? talk about sandwiches? pick fail picture?

nah, let mod close.

You are SO cool.

The trading of future draft picks for some for immediate satisfaction is more of the same. The hidden negative in that scenerio is that it places a larger burden on the success rate of the person selected because they essiantially represent two persons that would have been selected.

A gradual build is the correct approach. I think that's what Allen and Shanahan have displayed thus far with the FA philosophy the team currently has. It's about getting the right people at the right price now.

Yeah how come every year everyone is like next years draft is going to be so awesome. It's exactly what I heard last year. Theres only ever going to be 2 or 3 QB's each year even worth first round consideration.

Green Bay moved up last year to draft two defensive studs to re-vamp there defense and I think I would have to say it worked out quite well. Okung is a lock at being good at the NFL level and its hard to totally whiff on a RT, especially the highest rated RT in the draft. Where as whether we take a QB this year or next in the first round, we have pretty much a 50/50 shot at whiffing. I.E Heath Shuler

Besides we arent going to get the top QB next year unless Shanahan blows and we go 3-13. Which quite honestly i dont see up lwinning less than 6 games at the very least this year.

Dont be scurred

This year is the strongest draft in memory for me. I still would not trade our top 10 (probably) pick next year as well as our second rounder for the 18 pick this year. We can get plenty of players if we just trade down from #4, which will be available because there will be somebody on the market that a team really REALLY wants. If we trade our first for a first and a second then we will be able to get 2 good linemen as well as still having our original 2nd round pick to use in whatever way we see fit.

The answer to this for me is simple: how would you feel if the Skins struggle again this season, finish 4-12 with 2 rookie O-linemen, and end up with a top 5 pick again? But, they don't have the pick because they traded it away to get a pick at #17 last year.

Chances are pretty good that the Skins will have a top 15 pick in next year's draft as well.

This year's draft is strongest and deepest in recent memory at the expense of quality and depth in next year's draft. More underclassmen than usual opted in due to a potential rookie cap.

So I wouldn't have any problem trading picks from next year to get extra picks in this year's draft. There will be 1st round talent well into the 2nd round.

I dont know about next years first, but I see your logic. The best example I can think of is the Atlanta Falcons when they grabbed Matt Ryan at #3 and traded up with us at #21 (i think?) and took Sam Baker (LT) while we got their two 2nd rounders and picked up DT and MK.

They had some luck by Turner having a breakout year as well as having a semi-established WR in Roddy White. I like that idea if we dont bargain everything away and definitely not a #1 pick next year.

I hear most of these responses, but do you all really think we will have a top 10 pick next year. Our defense has the chance of being awesome not to mention in better shape and ran better. Our offense has a actually playcaller who has done pretty darn good in past years. Besides with the chance of a strike next year why not get your players now. I'd take this year's 17-19th pick over next years 13th anyday, there isnt much difference in talent because different teams are drafting to different needs.

And this allows us to have that 17-19th pick for a year longer.

And I dont know if any of u know but shanahan is pretty good at drafting OL, I dont think he will miss and OL is the easiest position to move to the NFL from college.

That would give us 3 picks in the first 36 players. But thats just me.

In all honesty i wouldn't mind us dumping some players like Moss and Cooley and some later picks to move back into the first.

On a side not I woulda liked if we got Tapp instead of letting the eagles get him that woulda solved our OLB problem

I hear most of these responses, but do you all really think we will have a top 10 pick next year. Our defense has the chance of being awesome not to mention in better shape and ran better. Our offense has a actually playcaller who has done pretty darn good in past years. Besides with the chance of a strike next year why not get your players now. I'd take this year's 17-19th pick over next years 13th anyday, there isnt much difference in talent because different teams are drafting to different needs.

And this allows us to have that 17-19th pick for a year longer.

And I dont know if any of u know but shanahan is pretty good at drafting OL, I dont think he will miss and OL is the easiest position to move to the NFL from college.

That would give us 3 picks in the first 36 players. But thats just me.

In all honesty i wouldn't mind us dumping some players like Moss and Cooley and some later picks to move back into the first.

On a side not I woulda liked if we got Tapp instead of letting the eagles get him that woulda solved our OLB problem

Like your post other than:

"In all honesty i wouldn't mind us dumping some players like Moss and Cooley and some later picks to move back into the first. "

It's not a one for one trade though my friend. You don't give up next years 1st and get a 1st from a team this year.

You give up next year's 1st, 2nd this year or next, maybe 3rd or player to move back into first round again this year. If it were one for one yes you'd have a good argument but it rarely is.

You are forced to hope you get quality over quantity but your odds are better in your favor if you have more bodies to hedge your bets that one of them is successful in the NFL. It is a very high risk game to play with a 4-12 team.

Terrible idea.

The QB prospects next year are way better than this year.... if we fail this year, the QB will be top priority.

If Okung isnt there, TRADE DOWN!

That's so false. Ryan Mallett has a big arm with poor accuracy and mechanics. Jake Locker is a sick athlete who happens to play QB. He was God-awful completion percentages. I'll take Bradford or Clausen over either of them any day.

this year's draft is strongest and deepest in recent memory at the expense of quality and depth in next year's draft. More underclassmen than usual opted in due to a potential rookie cap.

So i wouldn't have any problem trading picks from next year to get extra picks in this year's draft. There will be 1st round talent well into the 2nd round.

+1

That's so false. Ryan Mallett has a big arm with poor accuracy and mechanics. Jake Locker is a sick athlete who happens to play QB. He was God-awful completion percentages. I'll take Bradford or Clausen over either of them any day.
If you like athleticism and high completion percentage in a QB then Colt McCoy would be a better choice than Bradford or Clausen. And I do think Locker and Mallett have the potential to be far better prospects than Bradford and Clausen. I like McCoy the most this year though.

And can the redskins have at least one draft with all their picks PLEASE! I hope they dont trade next year's picks. If they want more picks, trade #4 back.

I def don't want to trade away our pick next year. We might have a very high pick again and it's not worth trading. We aren't close enough to being an elite team to make that kind of move. We would have a better chance of winning this year but that is still trading away our future.

Thank you. I heard all of the hype and tuned in to watch Mallett on several occasions. His accuracy is just terrible and his windup looks like Campbell and Tebow had a baby and sent him to play football at Arkansas.

Mallett on the other hand is still up in the air. What if he completes 65% of his passes next year with a great ypa and TD/INT ratio? I might then consider him over Bradford/Clausen.

Archived