Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Tebow will have workout with Skins

Rypien1191

Tebow's motion is really unlike any QB prospect in recent years. His old motion is so elongated, like this loopy thing that drops all the way below his waist, before coming back up and around to push the ball down field. He had a deep throw in the SEC title game this past year where his actual throwing motion, not the windup itself, started down by his thigh. When he's doing quick throws it's obviously not as bad, but on deep passes it really stands out.

The thing is, if it were only his motion, that would be fine.

But he also has issues with footwork and reading through progressions. One alone is a concern. All three makes for a huge project.

That's so annoying when people say "well Phillip Rivers had problems with his motion."

"Vince Young had mechanical issues coming out."

No they didn't. Both guys had 3/4 motions and very quick releases to help compensate. That's like comparing Colt Brennan's struggles to Tim Tebow's. It's complete apples to oranges and shows just a lack of understanding on what QBs look like.

Well, if anyone is showing a lack of understanding on what QBs look like, it's someone who would assert Vince Young didn't have MASSIVE mechanical issues.

I know were all guessing at this point of how good Tebow can be in the NFL. But do you guys believe these so called NFL journalist, just remember what they said about JaMarkus Russell, John Booty, Matt Leinart I could go on and on. They always say how spread QBs fail at this level, well I can show how QBs that play under center fail more then Spread QBs. Flacco is doing good and he came from the spread. Just remember these journalist just have a opinion that's all they are wrong just as much as the right. So just remember these guys have a agenda just like us on here.
JaMarcus Russell didn't have issues as a Quarterback coming out, his problem is and always has been that he's lazy, and whereas the staff at LSU kept on him constantly, he ended up at the Raiders where the inmates run the asylum and Al Davis protects him as the 1st overall QB pick so nobody makes him work too hard. There have also been rumors going back to LSU that he's not very smart either.

Leinart also had work ethic issues once he got into the league. As a QB coming out, he was fine, but he enjoyed the SoCal and Arizona party scene too much and now it's caught up to him.

I don't necessarily buy into the issues that spread QBs have, but Tebow comes from a spread option where the bulk of his production comes from plays that he wouldn't run in the NFL (jump pass, running 3 yards for a TD like a full back, keeping defenses in the box at the threat of him running, etc.).

Tebow's a guy that didn't play QB in any kind of traditional sense that relates to the NFL, but because he was so incredibly successful playing the part that he did in college, people are trying to figure out a way to extend that into the pros.

He'll either get drafted by a team that allows him at least 2 years to sit and work on things and try to grasp actually playing QB, or he'll get drafted by a team desperate to get him out there and he'll end up a square peg that's trying to be put into a round hole.

Well, if anyone is showing a lack of understanding on what QBs look like, it's someone who would assert Vince Young didn't have MASSIVE mechanical issues.
He certainly didn't on the level Tebow does.

Young's questions were about his 3/4 and sometimes sidearm delivery and whether he was too dumb for the NFL or not.

That pales in comparison to what Tebow's dealing with.

The thing is, if it were only his motion, that would be fine.

But he also has issues with footwork and reading through progressions. One alone is a concern. All three makes for a huge project.

The progressions thing is definitely a big deal as well, and that comes directly from running Urban Meyer's offense. Alex Smith had issues with that when he came into the league from Utah, and struggled even this year because of it until the 49ers just put him back into shotgun almost every play.

If someone wanted to see just how much work Tebow really has to do at the pro level, they should just watch the SEC title game from this past year.

Nick Saban and Alabama put Tebow to the test and every major flaw he has was on display.

Tebow's interception in the 4th quarter to Javier Arenas just sitting in a shallow zone in the endzone was awful. Just a terrible pick, and it came because Tebow had no clue what he was looking at when he saw Bama's defense.

Tebow's interception in the 4th quarter to Javier Arenas just sitting in a shallow zone in the endzone was awful. Just a terrible pick, and it came because Tebow had no clue what he was looking at when he saw Bama's defense.

Good call. Worth watching if you have 7-minutes . The interception is at the 6:00 marker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8oVtKG_zVg

He had a TD if he read the defense right.

_Note the wind up in the long throws.

_Note Spikes flying around but never really getting to the ball

Count me among those that feel Tebow shouldn't be drafted until the 4th or 5th round earliest. It's not going to happen, but just personal feeling. I don't think he can translate his game to the NFL level. Still too much of a project. Intensity and passion only get you so far.

Count me among those that feel Tebow shouldn't be drafted until the 4th or 5th round earliest. It's not going to happen, but just personal feeling. I don't think he can translate his game to the NFL level. Still too much of a project. Intensity and passion only get you so far.

I agree with you that Tebow should not be a 1st or 2nd round selection. I think 5th might be too late but I would say a fair value is mid 3rd to early 4th round for him.

While Tebow may lack the prototypical qb skills that normally succeed in the NFL his heart and championship persona probably trump that of most players in the NFL. If our qb situation were more settled and we had a qb under center we were confident in then I would have no problem lobbying for Tebow.

I think his upside can be huge. In my mind Tebow is either going to go the route of the next Steve Young and become a great winner or the full opposite end of the spectrum and be the next eric Crouch hoping to catch on in a few years as HBack or FB or TE somewhere.

A team like NE or Indy could roll the dice on Tebow and see what his upside might be but we can't afford to.

just watched his pro day video online. i gotta say i was impressed. i never bought into the first round talk but im coming around to the idea of taking him in the second. he seems like a guy thats extremely coachable and willing to put in the work. for anyone who hasnt seen the pro day video:

His delivery looks MUCH better.

But will he return to his old habits under the pressure of a game.

Well Crusher if we get Tebow or not I sure hope your at training camp and give us all updates like last year. You and VOR gave the best accounts of training camp then anybody else. Just think this year with the new coach and all the new things happening they should give you guys a press pass for sure.. You knowing what were all looking for here. Zskins with his pics, and VOR with is insight, represent the heart and soul of this board and I'm sure I speak for a lot of guys here that read your recaps last year. I just wish I knew who to write to, to get you guys more access for this board exclusively. Just think if you could interview the Cool Moss Brennan Rex Fletch Shan. I know it would piss off a lot of the other Journalist, But who cares, we want one of are own inside, And your just the guy to do it.

HTTR

The progressions thing is definitely a big deal as well, and that comes directly from running Urban Meyer's offense. Alex Smith had issues with that when he came into the league from Utah, and struggled even this year because of it until the 49ers just put him back into shotgun almost every play.

If someone wanted to see just how much work Tebow really has to do at the pro level, they should just watch the SEC title game from this past year.

Nick Saban and Alabama put Tebow to the test and every major flaw he has was on display.

And this same Alabama team with the same Nick Saben as coach was the coach for the same game in 08 as well. What happened? I sugguest you go look before making again more claims.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tim-Tebow-shines-at-Florida-pro-day.html

QB Tim Tebow (6-3, 236)

It’s been all of six weeks since we last saw the Florida quarterback at the Senior Bowl, and boy, has he come a long way. It makes you wonder: If Tim Tebow was able to significantly tighten up his release and pretty much learn the footwork necessary to take snaps from under center in that short a time span, what kind of upside does he have at the next level?

Tebow looked so much more compact and natural in his drop, which is not surprising for an athlete of his caliber. However, his ability to generate torque from his lower half and maintain his balance when asked to boot and throw on the move was a world of improvement from what we saw in Mobile, Ala. He looked fluid and much more technically sound from the waist down – which is where accuracy starts and ends at the quarterback position -- and although he has a tendency to get overextended with his lower half when trying to drive the ball down the field, it’s still unreal to see this much of an improved in such a short time.

AP

QB Tim Tebow rebranded himself in preparation for the draft.

Now, as for his throwing motion, it’s tighter and more compact, which in turn seems to have not only improved his ability to spin a cleaner ball but also his overall timing.

I still believe that the notion that Tebow lacks the accuracy down the field to make all the throws in the NFL is far from the truth. Instead, I think his inability to consistently complete NFL-type routes in the intermediate/deep passing game has much more to do with his overall lack of rhythm and timing. Being able to clean up his footwork and tighten up his release makes it logical that his rhythm and timing in the pass game will improve, which will ultimately make him a more accurate passer.

Overall, there’s not too much negative to say about Tebow after a performance like this. Is he there yet? No. But it says a lot about any quarterback who’s had the success he’s had and is still willing to completely rework his throwing motion while trying to learn the intricacies of taking snaps from under center.

Tebow has the skill set to be an NFL quarterback; there’s no denying that. But if this workout proved anything, it’s that if given enough time to work at his craft and develop further at the position, he has the passion and work rate to mature into a successful pro quarterback.

If we take OL with #4, I think we need to take Tebow with our early second. If he can make that much of an improvement in 6 weeks, imagine how good he'll be if he sits and learns for a year. He has a chance to be dominant.

Well Crusher if we get Tebow or not I sure hope your at training camp and give us all updates like last year. You and VOR gave the best accounts of training camp then anybody else. Just think this year with the new coach and all the new things happening they should give you guys a press pass for sure.. You knowing what were all looking for here. Zskins with his pics, and VOR with is insight, represent the heart and soul of this board and I'm sure I speak for a lot of guys here that read your recaps last year. I just wish I knew who to write to, to get you guys more access for this board exclusively. Just think if you could interview the Cool Moss Brennan Rex Fletch Shan. I know it would piss off a lot of the other Journalist, But who cares, we want one of are own inside, And your just the guy to do it.

HTTR

Oh stop it Po, you're gonna make me blush.

:)

I will definitely try to get out there again this year, like you said, there will be a lot of new things to look for. But thanks for all the compliments, I really enjoy doing it. And I'll continue to do so as long as my fellow Skins fans enjoy reading the recaps.

I think I'm gonna start a thread about a week or so before camp starts, and get a bunch of ideas of some things everyone is interested in and things I should keep my eye out for. We'll see...

Archived