Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mosley: Phillips compares Spencer to Hall of Famer

bubba9497

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/11461/phillips-compares-spencer-to-hall-of-famer

click link for entire article

Phillips compares Spencer to Hall of Famer

INDIANAPOLIS -- Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips was kind enough to stop and visit with four reporters in a hotel lobby earlier this afternoon. I asked him several questions, but his most interesting response involved outside linebacker Anthony Spencer. He said Spencer was "one of the best players in the league at the end of the year.":yikes:

Phillips indicated that Spencer was talented enough to one day be compared with a member of the Saints' famed "Dome Patrol," linebacker Rickey Jackson. The former New Orleans star was voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame a couple weeks ago and he was part of Bum Phillips' first draft class in New Orleans (1981).

Phillips also talked Friday about how much he enjoys the scouting process. His father, Bum, used to send coaches out on the road to scout players. Wade was responsible for the University of Tulsa when the Oilers selected wide receiver Steve Largent in 1976. But when the Oilers needed a roster spot in the preseason, the offensive coaches decided that Largent was expendable. He was eventually traded to the Seahawks for an eighth-round draft pick. And I think most of you know the rest of that story.

In other news, Phillips said he thought the Cowboys' inclusion in the Hall of Fame Game was a positive despite the extra travel and practice time it will require.

"With our team, I think it’s a good thing," Phillips said. "We have a lot of young players. We had some young players that were hurt last year, or didn’t play a whole lot or played some and need more playing time. I can just see that helping."

When I last saw Phillips on Friday, he was catching up with Redskins coach Mike Shanahan. Phillips was replaced as head coach of the Broncos by Shanahan after the 1994 season. Now the two will square off in the NFC East. OK, let's do this again Saturday.

:wtf: ????

:ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols:

Stay Puft is a hoot

During the last 7 games of the season Spencer had 37 tackles, 6 sacks, 1 int, 2 FF and 3 passes defended.

I'd say it's a pretty accurate statement really.

This is how the Cowboys get their hype going. In seven games (almost half a season), he did fairly well. There are guys who have put those stats up in only two games, but since he's a Cowboy HE'S HEADED TO CANTON!!!!! I'd like to see a single guy on the Cowboys ever be underrated. Could you imagine if London Fletcher had been a Cowboy?

This is how the Cowboys get their hype going. In seven games (almost half a season), he did fairly well. There are guys who have put those stats up in only two games, but since he's a Cowboy HE'S HEADED TO CANTON!!!!! I'd like to see a single guy on the Cowboys ever be underrated. Could you imagine if London Fletcher had been a Cowboy?

Those stats are actually very impressive for a 7 game stretch. They extrapolate to about 84 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 2 picks, 4 forced fumbles, and 6 passes defended over 16 games. Of course, he didn't actually play that well the first half of the season but Wade Phillips was only talking about the end of the season, so it's a moot point.

During the last 7 games of the season Spencer had 37 tackles, 6 sacks, 1 int, 2 FF and 3 passes defended.

I'd say it's a pretty accurate statement really.

Orakpo had 4 sacks in one game.... I guess using poke logic.... He's the greatest player in football history :ols:

Spencer who has been a bust so far in his career, had a couple good games against some poor OL suddenly is being compared to a HOF'er? Please get off the drugs.

no rational mind can make that leap of hype seriously

Orakpo had 4 sacks in one game.... I guess using poke logic.... He's the greatest player in football history :ols:

Spencer who has been a bust so far in his career, had a couple good games against some poor OL suddenly is being compared to a HOF'er? Please get off the drugs.

no rational mind can make that leap of hype seriously

That extrapolates to 64 sacks on the season!! :paranoid:

Spencer had a few good games and looks promising as a 3-4 OLB. However, I personally would have bitten my tongue on the HOFer comparison if I were Wade, as this just raises the expectation bar and will look ugly if he doesn't pan out.

(It should be noted that that Wade is anything BUT an intelligent and eloquent speaker ... :ols: )

Spencer had a few good games and looks promising as a 3-4 OLB. However, I personally would have bitten my tongue on the HOFer comparison if I were Wade, as this just raises the expectation bar and will look ugly if he doesn't pan out.

(It should be noted that that Wade is anything BUT an intelligent and eloquent speaker ... :ols: )

I totally agree. Why make the comparison. It's quite stupid really....

Remember in the 2009 offseason when the Poke fans extrapolated Felix Jones's 266 yards on 30 carries? Remember when they thought, "He did that before getting injured. Just imagine what he can do with a full season!" Then remember when he played 14 games and got 685 yards? Don't get me wrong, he averaged 5.9 ypc last year. But when you use a guy situationally, he's going to have a higher ypc. He's not the player they acted like they had. I guess Spencer is this year's Felix Jones?

According to one CZ poster, Orakpo is on steroids too...

I love Cowboys hype

Stop...I don't know what CZ poster means...but I have met his cousins at an underclassmen scouting combine in texas ..

Their names are Shawn Onyechi and Jofer Onyechi...(can look them up on rivals.com or on google if you want)

It has worried me for a while, because they have similiar body types as orakpo (except I don't think orakpo is as ripped though, not sure..) and I am almost positive they are on steroids...they barely worked out their teammate told me, and I was talking to Shawn and he was telling me about some story about how he can build muscles 4X faster then a normal human because he was born that way...sounded like BS to me...

I know it doesn't mean anything about Orakpo, but it was just somthing that worried me about when he came in...Alot of them say they are on steroids and if it is a family thing where they all know where to get them or somthing then idk it worries me...hopefully it is just good genes...or some weird birth defect (or can you even call it a DEfect) that makes you grow muscles 4X faster??!

I don't know why I am going on about this, just is some interesting info if you ask me....

Archived