Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/Jason Reid: Mike Mayock agrees with taking a QB at 4

Gibbsisgod2006

Absolutely wrong. Plenty of people think Bradford is overrated. He may be a decent qb in the future, but a #4 pick? Not to me.

Also- he has way more than one question mark. The shoulder, his leadership, the system he played in, lack of playing experience, etc. The list is long for a #4 overall pick.

And it's hilarious to me that people are saying 'Well, the fact is he's better than Campbell.' What?! How can you say that? You may have seen highlights from a season and a half in a spread offense IN COLLEGE and you think he's better than a pro QB who's started for years and has improved his numbers every year in the league? Really? Are you serious?

Have you actually watched Jason play to a 19-32 record? How about the last 24 at 6-18. Oh and "the surgery" was 35 minutes long :doh:

Absolutely wrong. Plenty of people think Bradford is overrated. He may be a decent qb in the future, but a #4 pick? Not to me.

Also- he has way more than one question mark. The shoulder, his leadership, the system he played in, lack of playing experience, etc. The list is long for a #4 overall pick.

And it's hilarious to me that people are saying 'Well, the fact is he's better than Campbell.' What?! How can you say that? You may have seen highlights from a season and a half in a spread offense IN COLLEGE and you think he's better than a pro QB who's started for years and has improved his numbers every year in the league? Really? Are you serious?

Who are these plenty of people saying that Bradford has alot of questions? Because the only thing that they are wondering about is how well that shoulder has healed. Their may be a few out their questioning his status but the ones who hold the most clout such as Mike Mayock, Tod McShay, and Chris Steuber are saying something different.

Bradford may not be as good as Campbell is right now but Bradford's upside is far greater. I would rather take a chance on a Bradford then sticking Campbell and paying a kings ransom to get Jake Locker.

here are the 9 top rated tackles in the draft so far:

Anthony Davis

Russell Okung

Brian Baluga

Trent Williams

Bruce Campbell

Charles Brown

Roger Safford

Selvish Capers

Edwin Veldheer

are some of you telling me youd be disappointed in this draft if we took sam bradford and brown, capers, or safford in the 2nd?

I'd be happier tradeing down and getting 3 OLmen. :cool:

Jason Candle is that you?

Seriously JC is not the answer is going to take another 5 years to realize that? Going from 31 best QB to 30 is not the improvement we need. The difference between JC and Favre and Young is that they are both winners. What has JC done in the past five years to say this guy is a winner? When was the last time JC took this team on a 2 min drive to win the game? Lets face it JC is an above average QB and in this league you need that Franchise QB in order to win this league.

Your right JC has been in a bad situation here in DC and that’s why we need to start over fresh with a new QB at the helm. We could go maybe 8-8 or 9-7 with JC at the helm but honestly I would like to go 12-4 or 13-3 and I don’t think we can do that with JC. I like JC as a person I think he is a stand up guy but this is a business and we have to move on from here. I think if we can get something for him I say go for it.

With all due respect man Steve Young was NOT a winner in Tampa bay and he benefit greatly by setting under Joe Montana for a couple years in San Fran before he became great and Farve was terrible in Atlanta as well before he was traded to Green Bay so your points are not sticking to mine.

Everyone wants to talk about JC record as a starter but did you check Brees record as a starter before he was traded? Did you check Steve Young record as a starter before he was traded? How about Brett Farve? This is a team sport not just a QB sport bro.

RED06

With all due respect man Steve Young was NOT a winner in Tampa bay and he benefit greatly by setting under Joe Montana for a couple years in San Fran before he became great and Farve was terrible in Atlanta as well before he was traded to Green Bay so your points are not sticking to mine.

Everyone wants to talk about JC record as a starter but did you check Brees record as a starter before he was traded? Did you check Steve Young record as a starter before he was traded? How about Brett Farve? This is a team sport not just a QB sport bro.

RED06

Where do you get this stuff and do you really think we are that stupid? Do some frinkin' research before spouting off next time please.

Well lets see jason has started 51 games here going 19-32 with 6-18 in the last 24. Steve Young started 19 (3-16) in TB but by the time he started over 50 games he was 29-26. Farve didn't even start in Atlanta (played in 2 games and only threw 4 passes) and didn't have a losing season until his 15th year in the league.

So your points are sticking like a fried egg on a good teflon pan sprayed with Pam.

:point2sky

I'd be happier tradeing down and getting 3 OLmen. :cool:

3 rookie olineman? thats just as stupid as relying on bradford to win for us this season. cmon man, you cannot honestly think its a good idea to put 3 rookie olineman in front of a QB. jesus think of the excuse wagon for campbell once he starts sucking.

"well hes got a rookie oline!!! what'd you expect??"

*hangs self*

- me

Have you actually watched Jason play to a 19-32 record? How about the last 24 at 6-18. Oh and "the surgery" was 35 minutes long :doh:

You're right. Jason Campbell is the sole reason for his record. He's out there alone and has never once done anything to help the team win.

That's not the argument here, although I do think Campbell would be plenty serviceable until next year (I'm a fan of Locker...). Look at the head coach we had, man. Look at the offensive line. Look at the running back issues we had last year. I mean there are plenty of things that contribute to his bad record. Obviously his play does as well. I'm not saying he's fantastic or the future of the franchise, but I don't think Sam Bradford is either. There are so many more areas that need improving before quarterback. Oh and "the surgery" required 4-6 months of rehab. It doesn't matter if it was 35 minutes. It was still a serious injury on a shoulder that had already been injured earlier that season.

Let's just say I'm not sold on the choice. I trust Shanny and we'll see what moves he makes. But for this fan, QB at #4 should not be one of them.

Stopped reading right there.

Locker as he is now would NEVER start a game in the NFL based on merit. He's barely a #3 QB on most rosters. His skills as a QB are on par with Tebow's.

Which is why he is going back to school. He is going to be drafted very high next year and be a starter at some point.

Its simplistic and naive to think you can select an OL at the top of this year's Draft and cure your perceived OLine problems. Anyone who thinks that has a weirdness for Campbell.

No one is saying that picking an OT will solve all our OL problems.

(And our OL problems aren't perceived they're very very real.)

But our best chance to land a starting caliber LT this draft may only be at with the 4th pick. And drafting a starting LT will go a long way to laying the foundation for a good OL. But, if we wait until the 37th pick there is a good chance that we'll be looking at RTs that aren't a guarntee to start.

And this has nothing to do with my,lol, weirdness for Campbell its the truth.

Which is why he is going back to school. He is going to be drafted very high next year and be a starter at some point.

So he's going to go from "barely a QB" to "an elite QB prospect" in one year? This guy is one of the rawest QBs I've ever seen - for every great play he makes, he blows about 2 or 3 routine ones.

The hype over Locker coming out is somewhat amusing I think, and I mean that in the bigger scheme of things when it comes to drafting a QB.

Last year, Bradford was the #1 consensus QB coming out. Stafford had an above average college career, nothing incredible though, and Sanchez started one season and declared for the draft with public criticism from his head coach, Pete Carroll. So in other words, taking a QB last year involved plenty of question marks to face.

Looking ahead to next year, what will we be saying? Locker's an athletic freak but as a QB he has miles to go still in his development and decision making. Mallet will face questions about his accuracy. As an FSU guy, I love Ponder, but he'll deal with criticism over his athleticism and ultimate ceiling as a prospect.

Seriously, every year with these QBs, each one is going to come out to a round of critics. The most heart breaking bust a team can have is a 1st round QB, especially one that's picked in the top 10. And the Redskins have had terrible luck so far with that position. But we can't put it off forever. At some point we have to own up and try to draft another 1st round quality QB.

RED06

Are you kidding me Red? Steve Young didn't even really get a chance in Tampa and Brett was traded from Atlanta. If the past few playoffs haven't shown you that you need a good to elite QB to win in this league then I don't know what NFL you have been watching maybe you’re getting it confused with the CFL. :)

Honestly it’s time to let go of JC man what has he shown you on the field that would say wow yeah he is a gamer or man he is clutch down the stretch? Nothing so why keep JC another year when we can shop him to another team maybe get a 2nd or 3rd pick out that can be used to draft a lineman. We should draft Bradford with our 1st then take an OT with our 2nd pick then with the other pick acquired from trading JC away it can be used on a G/C. Then sign a Pennington or a Garcia or even a Marc Bulger for a one year rental While Bradford is learning the system then draft a Tackle the following year in the 1st. That way by year three the team will be solidified and we will be able to compete at a high level with our new core in place. :2cents:

Stopped reading right there.

Locker as he is now would NEVER start a game in the NFL based on merit. He's barely a #3 QB on most rosters. His skills as a QB are on par with Tebow's.

You think Sam Bradford would be any better? He's just as much of a project. In some ways, Bradford is even more of a project. Locker plays in an NFL style offense for a coach who specializes in getting QBs ready for the NFL. His passing mechanics are already substantially better than Bradford's and they are only going to get better by next season. Not only that, Locker will be a 4 year starter when he's finally available to draft, taking him out of that dreaded "underclassman QB" demographic where the failures overwhelm the successes. Locker is a far better athlete than Bradford or Clausen, has a markedly stronger arm, and his intangibles are comparable to Tebow's.

But the biggest point of difference between Locker and Bradford (and even Clausen) is that he's proven himself and won big games on one of the worst teams in all of division 1 football. Was there even one other NFL caliber player on his team? I don't think so. And as many excuses as are made for Jimmy Clausen's lack of help, his team looks was immeasurably more talented than Locker's. AND Washington has played the most difficult schedule in the country over the past three years so he's NEVER gotten to pad his numbers on creampuffs like all of the other prospects get to do.

For everyone who keeps saying "If Bradford had come out last year, he'd have been the first QB taken", well, if Jake Locker had come out this year he'd have been the first QB taken. Wes Bunting even had him ranked ahead of Ndamukong Suh for most of the year.

And the part I underlined is utter crap dude. Locker is already miles ahead of Tebow as a prospect in terms of NFL readiness. The only way he compares to him is in an intangible evaluation which is a good thing.

Jake Locker looks like a young John Elway right down to the potential baseball career. He's better than anyone that came out this year and by next year he's probably going to be better than Stafford and Sanchez were.

here are the 9 top rated tackles in the draft so far:

Anthony Davis

Russell Okung

Brian Baluga

Trent Williams

Bruce Campbell

Charles Brown

Roger Safford

Selvish Capers

Edwin Veldheer

are some of you telling me youd be disappointed in this draft if we took sam bradford and brown, capers, or safford in the 2nd?

No one is saying that picking an OT will solve all our OL problems.

(And our OL problems aren't perceived they're very very real.)

But our best chance to land a starting caliber LT this draft may only be at with the 4th pick. And drafting a starting LT will go a long way to laying the foundation for a good OL. But, if we wait until the 37th pick there is a good chance that we'll be looking at RTs that aren't a guarntee to start.

And this has nothing to do with my,lol, weirdness for Campbell its the truth.

I find it interesting that no one is discussing that there are major question marks about the tackles available in the draft. Of this list of 9 tackles, there's no certainty that anyone of them will be a good LT.

Anthony Davis - has the best chance because of size and athleticism, but he has inconsistencies and could end up on the right side

Russell Okung - has questionable athleticism for the left side

Brian Baluga - maybe can play the left, but doesn't have elite athleticism and may end up playing RT

Trent Williams - a right tackle

Bruce Campbell - phenomenal athlete, but raw and need work on his technique

Charles Brown - very athletic, but may not be strong enough

Roger Safford - right tackle or guard

Selvish Capers - excellent athlete, struggles in game situations

Edwin Veldheer - freakish athlete who has a questionable level of competition

The point to all of this is that of all these prospects, none might be a successful left tackle. While Davis, Bulaga, and Trent Williams may all end up being great tackles, there's a reasonable chance that it will be on the right side. Okung might be a complete bust because he doesn't have the athleticism for the left or the skillset for the rightside.

If we are looking for a LT, then it should be a three horse race. Davis, Campbell, Brown. Okung is out of the question because we can't spend a top ten pick on an a tackle that is average at best. Of all the tackles, Davis is the only one we should consider at #4, but he has just as many question marks as Sam Bradford.

The other two options for a LT, Campbell and Brown, need some development and therefore are late 1st/early 2nd guys. This is not the draft class to expect a LT. Maybe a couple of the guys pan out, but this line class is strong at guard and RT.

Our best option is to get QB in the 1st and best OL in the 2nd. That OL in the 2nd could be Campbell, Brown,Williams, Iupati, or Pouncey. Then in the 4th, go offensive line again. We might be looking at Veldheer, Mitch Petrus, Sergio Render, or another interior lineman. Maybe we can pick up a 3rd to target Asamoah, Mike Johnson, Kyle Calloway, or Saffold. Honestly, the top 5 is the worst value for an offensive lineman in this entire draft class.

Something I don't understand is if all the experts don't have a QB ranked in the top 15 on there big board of prospects why would a GM choose a QB with a top 5 pick? If any of these QB's are so called franchise guys why aren't they ranked higher on everyones overall big board?

I find it interesting that no one is discussing that there are major question marks about the tackles available in the draft. Of this list of 9 tackles, there's no certainty that anyone of them will be a good LT.

Anthony Davis - has the best chance because of size and athleticism, but he has inconsistencies and could end up on the right side

Russell Okung - has questionable athleticism for the left side

Brian Baluga - maybe can play the left, but doesn't have elite athleticism and may end up playing RT

Trent Williams - a right tackle

Bruce Campbell - phenomenal athlete, but raw and need work on his technique

Charles Brown - very athletic, but may not be strong enough

Roger Safford - right tackle or guard

Selvish Capers - excellent athlete, struggles in game situations

Edwin Veldheer - freakish athlete who has a questionable level of competition

The point to all of this is that of all these prospects, none might be a successful left tackle. While Davis, Bulaga, and Trent Williams may all end up being great tackles, there's a reasonable chance that it will be on the right side. Okung might be a complete bust because he doesn't have the athleticism for the left or the skillset for the rightside.

If we are looking for a LT, then it should be a three horse race. Davis, Campbell, Brown. Okung is out of the question because we can't spend a top ten pick on an a tackle that is average at best. Of all the tackles, Davis is the only one we should consider at #4, but he has just as many question marks as Sam Bradford.

The other two options for a LT, Campbell and Brown, need some development and therefore are late 1st/early 2nd guys. This is not the draft class to expect a LT. Maybe a couple of the guys pan out, but this line class is strong at guard and RT.

Our best option is to get QB in the 1st and best OL in the 2nd. That OL in the 2nd could be Campbell, Brown,Williams, Iupati, or Pouncey. Then in the 4th, go offensive line again. We might be looking at Veldheer, Mitch Petrus, Sergio Render, or another interior lineman. Maybe we can pick up a 3rd to target Asamoah, Mike Johnson, Kyle Calloway, or Saffold. Honestly, the top 5 is the worst value for an offensive lineman in this entire draft class.

i think campbell groupies have deluded themselves into thinking that all these olineman are elite and somehow we need to draft 2 of them in the first round or the end is near. taking bradford and the best OT prospect at #36 is the way to go, and then draft 1 or 2 more guards/centers in the late rounds, as these types of players can be found later, especially guards.

still bitter we didnt snag that duke robinson guy last year. but it was a lineman in the draft, vinny knew better than to do that!

Something I don't understand is if all the experts don't have a QB ranked in the top 15 on there big board of prospects why would a GM choose a QB with a top 5 pick? If any of these QB's are so called franchise guys why aren't they ranked higher on everyones overall big board?

What? Can you name an expert that doesn't have Bradford in there top ten? And that's WITH his shoulder injury. If he were completely healthy, Sam would be consensus top five on probably every board. Every expert I've seen has him in the top 5-10 (Kiper, McShay, Mayock, Bunting).

What? Can you name an expert that doesn't have Bradford in there top ten? And that's WITH his shoulder injury. If he were completely healthy, Sam would be consensus top five on probably every board. Every expert I've seen has him in the top 5-10 (Kiper, McShay, Mayock, Bunting).

more comedy dude. bradford was the consensus number 1 last year too, and even with the injury hes top 10 in every mock ive seen. again, more people deluding themselves.

Ok, your right I was looking at other experts draft boards. Scouts inc had bradford ranked 9th.Kiper had him 5th.

SCOUTS INC.'S TOP 32

PlayerPos.SchoolGrade1. Gerald McCoy*DTOklahoma982. Ndamukong SuhDTNebraska973. Eric Berry*STennessee974. Jason Pierre-PaulDESouth Florida975. Anthony Davis*OTRutgers976. Joe Haden*CBFlorida967. Russell OkungOTOklahoma State968. Derrick Morgan*DEGeorgia Tech969. Sam Bradford*QBOklahoma9510. Dez Bryant*WROklahoma State95

Dude, you're a smart guy, but please, PLEASE don't drink the Locker Kool-aid. Even if you think we should wait until next year to take a QB, get a guy like Luck or Gabbert or Foles ror Ponderrather than this fraud.

You think Sam Bradford would be any better? He's just as much of a project. In some ways, Bradford is even more of a project. Locker plays in an NFL style offense for a coach who specializes in getting QBs ready for the NFL.

He's had one year in said offense, and missed most of the previous season. If he had come out, he would have had less college experience than Bradford. Bradford doesn't play in a "pure" spread like someone like Tebow or McCoy does either. I will say that he has NOT produced against teams that can match his team's athleticism.

His passing mechanics are already substantially better than Bradford's and they are only going to get better by next season.

Substantially? I don't think so. Bradford's mechanics are somewhat questionable, but fixable.

But the biggest point of difference between Locker and Bradford (and even Clausen) is that he's proven himself and won big games on one of the worst teams in all of division 1 football.

What big games?

USC?

USC scored 13 points. Locker scored 16 points with no passing TDs. USC scored 34 points on Notre Dame and Clausen (who scored 37 on that same defense).

He did okay against a decent Arizona team, but his other 3 wins came against the mighty Idaho and Washington State. He did blow out a pretty good Cal team though.

He came close against LSU, but Clausen came close (much closer than Locker did) against USC.

For everyone who keeps saying "If Bradford had come out last year, he'd have been the first QB taken", well, if Jake Locker had come out this year he'd have been the first QB taken.

Well, I concede that point - "first QB taken" doesn't really reflect much in terms of quality.

Taking Locker high this year would have been ridiculous.

And the part I underlined is utter crap dude. Locker is already miles ahead of Tebow as a prospect in terms of NFL readiness.

One year in an NFL system after an injury year and a year in a spread option puts him MILES ahead of Tebow? Okay.

Jake Locker looks like a young John Elway right down to the potential baseball career. He's better than anyone that came out this year and by next year he's probably going to be better than Stafford and Sanchez were.

Locker would have to be INCREDIBLE to pull that off. As it stands, he is a 2 year starter with mediocre stats, a poor win count, and huge issues with fundamentals.

The only thing going for Locker is his intangibles; I think he would eventually get it and make use of his athletic gifts - but ONLY in the right situation. If he's asked to be a franchise QB from day 1, he will likely fail.

hes the most accurate DRAFT guru out there, if he says it, i believe it...

I do to, but notice how he says "IF you think Bradford or Clausen is a franchise QB" and does not say that he thinks so. Mayock plays things tight to the vest, and will not tell people what he thinks until he has done all his homework.

To me this is not a boost of confidence for taking a QB#4, but rather a warning sign that we might draft a QB too high.

Get the line fixed, after all, I thought Colt was a probowl caliber QB sitting on our bench, so we dont NEED a franchise QB in this year's draft.

I do to, but notice how he says "IF you think Bradford or Clausen is a franchise QB" and does not say that he thinks so. Mayock plays things tight to the vest, and will not tell people what he thinks until he has done all his homework.

To me this is not a boost of confidence for taking a QB#4, but rather a warning sign that we might draft a QB too high.

Get the line fixed, after all, I thought Colt was a probowl caliber QB sitting on our bench, so we dont NEED a franchise QB in this year's draft.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sp...#ixzz0gPjyYj0U

Mayock does think Bradford is a franchise QB though.

"Sam Bradford is a franchise quarterback and he is a top-10 player," Mayock said.

Archived