Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/Jason Reid: Mike Mayock agrees with taking a QB at 4

Gibbsisgod2006

This issue with CM is arm strenght aside, QBs that can't hit and 18 yd out and "flutter" their deep balls have issues in the pros.

Well you aren't putting arm strength aside when you imply that McCoy can't hit an 18 yard out, you're actually questioning his arm strength. And i'm not sure how many Texas games you've seen but i've seen him throw the deep comeback and the deep out.

If I am Shanny, I am trying to minimize my risk on the QB I take to groom for the next 5 years. His success will be tied directly, so if you say that CM would appeal to him, then why would SB not. SB is a bigger, stronger version of a CM. They both have concerns coming out of spread offenses, and they both were sheltered by great lines and solid skill position players. To re word your favorite question, "If McCoy appeals to Shanny's tastes, why would Bradford not?"

Would the best way to minimize risk actually mean not drafting a QB with a high draft pick?

What do you mean by groom for 5 years? You mean this kid isn't gonna play for 5 years? Then why even bother drafting a QB with a top pick?

I think Bradford would appeal to him.

But, i just that McCoy would appeal more because of his superior athleticism.

Its the common trait shared by Montana, Young and Elway.

And McCoy at this point wouldn't require a 1st round pick.

I said this earlier but this explains my opinion a little clearer:

I think coaches that have faith in their abilities to groom a QB don't feel the need to take a QB with a top pick. Shanahan has only done it once, imo because of a situation with Plummer forced his hand. Holmgren's QB pipeline has produced many starting QBs and none if i can recall were 1st round picks. McCarthy took Rodgers what late 1st or 2nd? Andy Reid is an exception but he's also doing a good job of grooming Kolb who's a 2nd round pick? Childress is doing a good grooming with T. Jackson whose a 2nd round pick? (BTW i find it amusing that Eagles fans and the general sports media think more of Kolb then Vikings fans and general sports media think of Jackson). Bill Walsh took Montana in the 3rd? And acquired Steve Young with 2nd and 4th.

I think Plummer was Shanny's stopgab solution, and he replaced him in the middle of a 7-4 season so he could put in his draft pick Culter. Wheather it was the right move or not at the time is debatable, but what is not is that the JP skill set was used out of necessity not choice by Shanny. I don't factor that into a ringing endorsement for McCoy.

Mike S. chose Plummer as FA not as a 'stopgap' and not out of 'necessity.'

Plummer's forced Shanahan's hand more or less because of a poor attitude. But his play on the field play with the Broncos was the best of his career and teams and the Bronco's w/l was 40-18.

Still, after the Broncos' home loss in the 2005 AFC championship game, Plummer's relationship with Shanahan seemed to slip, the quarterback admitted. A miscommunication about an offseason workout compounded the problem. Plummer said he believed he had cleared missing a week of offseason conditioning with an assistant coach only to learn Shanahan was not informed. Not long after, the Broncos traded up in the first round to select Cutler with the No. 11 pick in the 2006 draft.

http://www.examiner.com/x-/x-2549-Denver-Broncos-Examiner~y2009m2d1-Jake-Plummer-on-Shanahan-firing-Past-due

While I defenitly think that QB postition needs to be addressed, I don't think that the Redskins will be able to do so this year. There is just so much work that needs to be done first. Rebuilding the O-line must be first and formost. It has to be determined if Kelly and or Thomas are going to actually work out to become a premier WR, if not then they have to go shopping for another WR. The secondary got exposed big time last season and with rumors that Randy Moss may be headed to Dallas, addressing that area has to be a top priorty as well.

I think the best thing to do to is let Campbell and Colt battle it out in the preseason for the starting job (while holding a fair and truely open competition), then see what you have in that QB while hopefully having taken care of one if not all of the other concerns listed.

Archived