Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many wins will our new coaching staff be worth?

21MadFan

Hard to tell. I think the Redskins are better than their current record. There was a lot of turmoil on this team last year. If we had the same schedule in 2010 I think we'd be 9-7.

But the schedule is tougher.

Personnel-wise, I think we'll be upgrading a few area and some starters may give way to newer hungrier players. (This assumes no CBA and we can take the cap hit.) That translates to more wins.

But we're putting in new offensive and defensive systems and it's going to take time to develop the personnel to that way.

Office-wise, I think the coaching staff will be better -- with clear lines of authority amongst each other and over the players. There's a nice blend of experience and youth -- good. I don't think Snyder is going to allow Portis like star treatment any longer and will back up his new HC, and there will be no Vinny-style 'drama' to upset the hierarchy. All positives -- and should pan out for added victories.

But here again -- how well is AFC West football going to fare in the NFC-East. Are we on the right track with the 3-4. How well do the current group of players respond to what seems to be a more strict style of coaching.

Lastly, there's the issue of the key role players -- QB, FS, MLB, RB, and maybe our CBs. For one reason or another these players are on the bubble. How we answer personnel issues at those positions will make a big difference to our win-loss record. If we wind up wth Campbell needing the 2010 season to adjust to the Shanahan WCO, that will bring our win totals down. Our defensive secondary could be very good or become very mediocre. And who's going to be the guy for our running game. A lot of questions, and if we've got to transition in a bunch of rookies -- that won't help the win-loss record.

My guess for now is we'll be 7-9, but not soley for reasons related to coaching.

With last year's schedule this coaching staff would have had us at 8-8, at least. That schedule was cake, in particular the first 5 games

No way we lose to Detroit and Carolina. I say we beat Dallas the first time as well and close out the Saints.

This coming year, not too sure. I think we are, as of now, a 6-10 to 7-9 team

maybe 3, but that does not mean I think this team, as built right now, can repeat a 4-12 record, i think they are worse than that right now.

What I don't want to see, is we come out of the gate strong and fight for a decent record like 9-7 or 10-6, and then people will think not much needs to change around here, just a little bit of tinkering, and that's the type of logic that got us in this mess to begin with.

I think the best case scenario, for long term Redskins success, is 6-10 in 2010, between 7 and 10 wins in 2011, and then starting to make a realistic playoff run in 2012 and beyond. This time line assumes that it only takes Shanny & Allen 2 years to purge the roster of junk they don't want or need.

The goal should be to win in 2012, and any success in the playoffs before then should be considered a pleasant surprise.

I was thinking about this earlier and I truly believe that the coaching staff that we have put in place could be worth atleast 3 extra wins next year.

Ha! Skins fans asked this same question when Saunders was installed as the new OC. The question came up again with the hiring of Zorn. Then again with Haynesworth. I expect the Skins to have a losing record next year - - whether they win 4 or 7 doesn't make a difference. I'm looking for signs of long-term improvement accross the board (eventually to show up in the win column).

I honestly believe that they're at LEAST 8-8 automatically. It's not like the talent there is is just piss poor. Zorn and co. just couldn't get the best out of them like I believe Shanahan and his staff will.

8-8 automatically? Really? Have you seen our home schedule next year? We have all of our NFC east buddies + the Colts, Vikings, and Packers come to town. Our home schedule is going to be a lot tougher than our road schedule. I am not sure that we are going to be 8-8 automatically. Will we be better than 4-12? Probably, but I am not quite ready to make the leap to 8-8. We will have to see what kind of off season additions and subtractions are made as well.

After FA and the draft would help..but I agree, the coaching staff alone should bring at least 3-4 more wins. Even last years team, had the offense mustered another TD or so who knows. I think there will be gains on the offensive side, and hopefully the defense doesn't regress much.

Hard to say. Too many questions. Our D is normally good. Does the D stay good and get better or does the D have a set back due to learning a new system. Switching to a 3-4 might take some time to transition to. What is our QB situation going to be like and can Shanahan get a group on oline to be some nasty cut blockers.

I don't think we need to use our #4 on oline. I think Shanahan can get the most out of mid round oline men.

I have to say we should be improved. I'll go with 3-4 wins. 7-9 or 8-8.

I look into the future and I see... 8-8. There is no question that the 'Skins are going to be better prepared on offense with Team Shanny running the show. They will be creative in the passing game, and will use that same Denver style running offense to keep teams off balance. This year, the offense should improve just due to scheme, coaching, preparation and game planning, even if most of the pieces are the same.

The defense is going to be aggressive. I think that's the only thing that we know for sure is that they are going to be an aggressive defense.

The coaching and preparation and in game decision making is going to be so much better than it's been since 1992.

The roster is a true ?. Who knows what's going to happen.

If everything goes the Skins way, QB position is good, RB is good, OLine is not porous barring no major injuries on either side of the ball. The coaching staff is going to help for at least 3 wins imo. Of course there is luck or just plain chaos that happens every season. You cannot prepare against that but coaching can help a team navigate through it. I think Allen, Shanny and staff will help the team do that a lot more than vinny, Zorn and staff.

I think the biggest issue thats gonna either help or hurt us next year is whether or not our defense is successful. Our offense will improve. I'm just not sure if we be a top 10 defense like we usually are. Even if our offense does improve, if we get worse next year on defense because of the transition we might only win 5 games but if we improve on defense we might win 10. Its too earlier to tell.

i was thinking about this earlier and i truly believe that the coaching staff that we have put in place could be worth atleast 3 extra wins next year. That would put us at 7-9. I am not expecting a full turn around next year with all the rebuilding that will be going on but i think we will be much more competetive. What do you guys think?

8-8

Archived