Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So where does Drew Brees stand now?

Ghost of

Here's an example of how things are different for him: when his team didn't win as many games as other teams, he was still given MVP because the voters said that it's all about stats. When Brees had better stats this year, the voters said it was all about wins.

Ouch that seems true. I think, ironically, that loss to the Jets actually gave Peyton the award. Not that the Saints would be great without Brees, but once the voters saw that loss, they just figured no one was more important to their team.

It's true, though, Brees has put up some awesome performances, stats, some great things for his team, revived an entire franchise, been a huge symbol for a fallen city and has lesser physical ability than other guys at his position and still delivers, now he has a SB. I believe he has appeared in the NFC title game too, so it's not as if it's his first taste of anything resembling a big game.

Btw, zoony---in 2002, Warner's run was still fairly short. Brees has been a good-great QB since 2004. That's not 7 seasons of excellence, a SB win, SB MVP, playoff appearances, NFC Title game appearance. That's not nothing.

Hell, if we count off at "making it to the good-great tier" (manning in his second season, Drew in his fourth) then in that 7 years, Drew has done almost as much as Manning and perhaps a bit more impressively in his SB postseason.

Fine by me. His list has two HOF'ers and a surefire 3rd (Brady). Mine has 3 HOF'ers and a slim-to-none chance for a 4th (Palmer). But I seriously doubt that possibility...

Lol honestly, you might have a better shot with Sancez. Palmer seems to have reached, and passed his peak, don't you think? At least with Sanchez you can say that he'll get there eventually. :silly:

Lol honestly, you might have a better shot with Sancez. Palmer seems to have reached, and passed his peak, don't you think? At least with Sanchez you can say that he'll get there eventually. :silly:

I think you may have missed my point. If anyone else from the Pac-10 makes it or not is pure conjecture at present; to date 3 of the names I mentioned HAVE already been voted in though -

The Colts were the inferior team through and through, but I don't recall the defense throwing a critical, game ending interception.

Reggie Wayne was running sloppy routes the whole game. I blame that INT on him. Without that onside kick and missed FG, this game would've had a different outcome.

Well if he doesnt make it back he will be labeled a choker

Why is that? Brees has less physical talent, and his team, regardless of this performance, has issues on defense. If he loses in the playoffs again, he will be defined by how he loses, if he fails to return.

Edit: A good post from another board:

During his time with the Saints, Drew Brees has put up over a thousand more yards than Manning, a passer rating within a fraction of a point, the exact same number of touchdowns, broke the single season all-time record for completion percentage, and fell one pass/lousy Panthers punt short of breaking the all-time record for single season passing yardage. He did all this without a skill position player making the Pro Bowl, which matches with the conventional wisdom that none of his targets his elite.

--another post---

Playoff Stats

150/225, 67% comp. %, 1648 yards, 13 TDs, 2 INTS, 103.7 QB rating

---end---

Ghost's opinion again:

I believe that Drew Brees is a better QB right now than anyone else in the league, including Manning and Brady. Obviously, we saw with Brady's injury how quickly that can all change but right now, that's where I rank him. I don't mean all-time but he's the best at this moment and I'd argue he's been the best QB since Brady got hurt at the start of 2008.

Brees opposing QBs defeated in the postseason?:

Warner, Favre, Manning.

Not every QB with a few good years makes it into the hall of fame. For this decade, the first two QB's that pop into your head as the greateest are Brady and Manning.

Uh, he has 7 good/great years. The NFL Completion percentage record previously held by another HoF QB, a SB MVP, SB victory, an NFC Title appearance, this close to all-time yardage record, has actually outperformed Manning since being with the Saints and has many 4000+ yard seasons.

Now that 2010 is here, I actually think you have to put Brees there. Is it his fault he needed three years to get himself to together in San Diego before becoming an excellent QB and that being with the Saints has put him up there as the best there is right now?

Reggie Wayne was running sloppy routes the whole game. I blame that INT on him. Without that onside kick and missed FG, this game would've had a different outcome.

I hate these special Manning rules. If Joe Shmoe, well I guess we could say Joe Flacco throws an interception, everyone says "Joe Flacco threw an interception." If Peyton Manning throws an interception, everyone says "It wasn't his fault."

When Tom Brady lost the SB, Tom Brady lost the SB. When Manning lost the SB it's all about the onside kick.

One of the best currently playing, not even remotely close for best of all time. Maybe if he continues to put up these numbers for say 5 more years and gets another ring an arguement can be made to put him somewhere up there..

Two rings? Peyton Manning only needed one to be the so-called GOAT. :silly:

I hate these special Manning rules. If Joe Shmoe, well I guess we could say Joe Flacco throws an interception, everyone says "Joe Flacco threw an interception." If Peyton Manning throws an interception, everyone says "It wasn't his fault."

When Tom Brady lost the SB, Tom Brady lost the SB. When Manning lost the SB it's all about the onside kick.

It sounds like you have a personal agenda. I call it like I see it.

End of 1st quarter - Colts are up 10 - 0.

2nd quarter - 2 Colts' offensive series

1) Manning passed for 9 yards, Addai loses 3 yards, then Garcon drops ball on 3rd down.

2) With 1:49 left in half and backed up on the 1 yard line...3 running plays.

3rd quarter - 1 Colts' offensive series that lead to a TD and 3 plays on another series when the quarter ended.

4th quarter - continued drive from 3rd quarter ended with a missed FG attempt. Another drive ended with a Saints' pick-six...either Reggie Wayne ran a bad route or he didn't know it was a slant play. And the final drive ended with the ball going through Reggie Wayne's hands at the goal line for an incompletion.

Yeah, I can see where you blame Manning for the loss. :rolleyes:

blah

We all have agendas, they're called our opinions based on our appraisal of the facts. That word gets thrown around way too much on this board, apparently with little understanding of what it means or its implications.

As I posted in the manning thread, the play clearly shows that an in-stride pass to Collie would have netted a first down and more. Manning chose to throw to Wayne, though Collie was already making his way underneath (but past the marker.) That was a Jason campbell moment for Manning.

Manning also threw, pretty much, a pick in the end zone towards the end and was fortunate it was one foot out of bounds. But this thread is about Brees.

I'm very interested to see how the next few years plays out. Obviously, I'd like the Skins to win all of those SBs but even if they did, that still leaves a very top-heavy AFC.

This is the year, I believe, where the NFC has surpassed the AFC. last year, the Cards really had that game in the bag but dropped the ball. And the Saints SoS was rated higher this year than the Colts. The Saints and Vikings both had a chance to beat any AFC representative, and would likely have been favorites against any team not the Colts. And depending on the team, it's possible the Cards or Packers could be viewed similarly. There are some weak teams in the NFC but it has more depth, though with Warner out and Favre possibly out, it may drop back again.

Qbs make a difference, eh?

If I was starting a team --

1. Manning. No doubt about it. I seriously think he would take any team in the league to the playoffs. He would turn a guy like Devin Thomas into a pro bowler.

2. Brees. He would greatly improve any team as well. So accurate and smart.

3. Brady. Love the guy. Total gamer. I think the knee injury took some of his confidence away -- but how could it not? Really curious to see how he does next year.

4. Rivers. Love how confident he is. But even he couldn't overcome Norv.

5. Aaron Rodgers. He got better with every game this year. He could be the best QB in the league sooner than later.

We all have agendas, they're called our opinions based on our appraisal of the facts. That word gets thrown around way too much on this board, apparently with little understanding of what it means or its implications.

Apparently, you don't know what it means. Personal agendas are not opinions based on facts, but a bias or prejudice.

Archived