Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So where does Drew Brees stand now?

Ghost of

now that the Big 10 has proven its superiority YET AGAIN, what can we say about Brees place in the game? He had two good years in San Diego, has been great in New Orleans, arguably the best since Brady's knee got buckled at the start of 2008.

So everyone who wanted to hop on someone else (wont' say who) for GOAT: Where does Breesus who was held back by a bad defense but has a 5,000 yard season, several 4K+ and just some amazing performances, came back down 10 in the SB, made big plays that mattered, no turnovers----where does he stand now in our all-time ranking.

Brees has been good since 2004. So, he's not new anymore.

What say you?

meh, Brees is over-rated. It's his Oline that makes him special.

Jason Campbell could do just as well.

:doh1:

(sorry couldn't resist)

As for where Brees stands right now- he's nowhere close to being in the running for greatest of all time. He's a damn good QB. He just won a SB. Win a few more and dominate for at least 5 more years, we can have that conversation.

As for where Brees stands right now- he's nowhere close to being in the running for greatest of all time. He's a damn good QB. He just won a SB. Win a few more and dominate for at least 5 more years, we can have that conversation.

Considering he delivered a higher SB performance than "(Scape)GOAT Manning" and has had SEVERAL great years now, why should we wait? I mean, what does Manning have different, exactly that makes him in the running? Is it just because of longevity at this point?

True, he doesn't have good enough career stats or post season success to be among the best yet.

Although he has taken the Saints twice farther than they have ever been.

And he is the all time leader in season completion percentage. (this season)

And almost broke the one year yardage total last year.

He needs to pile up some more post season wins and stats though still I think.

But he is probably my personal favorite QB of all time.

On the other hand I wonder how he'll compare to other great QBs like Dawson and Griese when he's done

(I think he might have better stats than them already)

Considering he delivered a higher SB performance than "(Scape)GOAT Manning" and has had SEVERAL great years now, why should we wait? I mean, what does Manning have different, exactly that makes him in the running? Is it just because of longevity at this point?

You're of course assuming I'm saying Manning is the goat. He's not imo. But that said, Manning has had a much more prolific career than Brees. Yes, longevity counts.

After the 2002 season were you ready to crown Warner?

I would put Montana, Young, Aikman, Unitas, Manning, Brady, and a few others above Brees at this point. He doesn't even crack the top 10.

But if he continues to go out and put up the kind of numbers he has over the last 3 seasons and win another ring or two, he enters the conversation.

He's Peyton Manning, that's what's different. Manning was proclaimed the greatest thing since sliced bread since he was practically in kindergarten.

Here's an example of how things are different for him: when his team didn't win as many games as other teams, he was still given MVP because the voters said that it's all about stats. When Brees had better stats this year, the voters said it was all about wins.

Things are just different for Peyton Manning and Brees does not have nearly as much name recognition.

I would say Brees is the best QB in the NFC and in the top 5 QBs of the NFL. I still would rather have Peyton Manning as the QB...the Colts' defense and his supporting cast let him down in this Super Bowl.

The Colts were the inferior team through and through, but I don't recall the defense throwing a critical, game ending interception.

Warren Moon, John Elway, Drew Bledsoe, Troy Aikman, Jake Plummer, Carson Palmer, Mark Sanchez, Matt Leinart, Matt Moore -- see, I can do it too. :)

Pac-10 rates at least a par with the Big-10 for QB's Nibbs.

Leinart and Matt Moore? Have done nothing in their careers yet, dude :) If we do that, I'm gonna put Griese, Jr. and Chad henne in there. lol

So it's not quite an even-steven on that one. But beyond that, my point was about comparison to the obvious SEC opponent, not necessarily superiority to every possible conference in the country.

(also, there's some hyperbolic boosterim involved there, it's why a throw-away comment was put in, in the first place)

Leinart and Matt Moore? Have done nothing in their careers yet, dude :) If we do that, I'm gonna put Griese, Jr. and Chad henne in there. lol

So it's not quite an even-steven on that one. But beyond that, my point was about comparison to the obvious SEC opponent, not necessarily superiority to every possible conference in the country.

(also, there's some hyperbolic boosterim involved there, it's why a throw-away comment was put in, in the first place)

Easy brother, I thought we were all friends here. Toss in Henne and the Griese if you want, it won't take any skin off my nose. I'm not going on record for any one conference's superiority over another, at any position. I was merely offering a counterpoint to your list -- one which featured a number of guys who had decidedly pedestrian journeyman careers if I'm not mistaken.

By that standard I could toss Steve Bono, Tommy Maddox, Cade McNown and the Huard brothers into the mix as well.

Okay, not McNown and Brock or Damon but you get my point. :)

Archived