Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Allen:"We're going 100mph getting ready for free agency"

MattFancy

as much as i like albert haynesworth hopefully they are thinking of trading him :P bc id much rather have wilfork in the 3-4, he has a better work ethic and was brought up in an organization that knows how to win.

You are nuts. If anything, we add Wilfork. You don't trade Big Al, his presence/name alone forces teams to game plan around him.

He's disruptive and just mean. I agree he may be overpriced and looks out-of-shape at times... but he's already under contract- and until he proves that he doesn't belong here, you don't even think about moving him.

Landry is a likely trade option.

With his attitude to offseason conditioning, and his meager contributions on field, I would guess the new regime could use him to make a clear example to the rest of the team, of what is expected.

There are plenty of teams out there that would be very interested in him. Specifically, the top two NFC teams, Minnesota, and NO...:2cents:

edit to say: I feel we could get a 3rd and a 4th, or future pick

I agree with this for the most part. I think Landry is one of our trading chips. We have capable safteies in Doughty, Moore, Horton and maybe even Smoot. The drop off in production will be minimal if at all.

I think Landry can net us a third round draft pick or the slim chance of trading him for a player like an OL... a stretch, I realize it. Cooley is also a big bargaining chip. The time to trade him is now. Its a hard pill to swallow, however all fandomness aside, its the best move. He would net us a big payoff, Fred Davis makes him expendable, and trading him while he is young and not holding onto him until his trade value deminishes is important. Strike while the iron is hot. We had a chance to make a deal on trading Betts after his big 1000+ yards in six games, season. We could have profitted from unloading hima nd we kept our hands in our pockets. We missed out on recouping draft picks.

I think moving Landry and Cooley should be priorities this offseason. It will be hard to see Cooley go, but I think its the best move for stock piling draft picks and bulding for the future. :2cents:

I meant to quote this in the message above but hit the wrong button. I'll restate...this is probably true if the packages go well and we have the right talent at our disposal.

Well as of now, the only players we can really stick at NT are Monty and Haynesworth, which I think would be ineffective to run for the entire season. hence the need for a hybrid system if we can't get a true NT this offseason.

If we go after 1 bigtime free agent this offseason then it should be an OLineman. We tender Jason Campbell. Draft Bradford for the future. Round 2 we draft an OLineman. 4th round take a RB. Then other rounds we take best player available. If we make a trade, honestly as much as it hurts, trade Cooley bcuz he would net us a 2nd rounder which we could use for another OLineman.

Well as of now, the only players we can really stick at NT are Monty and Haynesworth, which I think would be ineffective to run for the entire season. hence the need for a hybrid system if we can't get a true NT this offseason.

I think its safe to say we'll be a hybrid team. Even NE who many consider a 3-4 team ran a lot of 4-3 this season. New Orleans who is considered a 4-3 ran a lot of 3-4 under Williams this year. Good coordinators show multiple looks to confuse QB's, hopefully Jim Haslett is a good coach.

Every analyst on ESPN and NFL network have said that Hayneworth is a DE in the 3-4. he is too tall to play that position and the primary reason he came to us was the 4-3 scheme and the promise he would be in the attacking style not the occupy linemen and let linebackers do the disrupting.

I wouldn't blame him at all if he demands a trade to a team that would utilize him correctly if the new coordinator decides to not play to his strengths.

Like has been said a couple of posts above . I think we will be like many of the modern defenses not stuck in the 3-4 or the 4-3 look but somewhere in between which is smart as it makes the best use of all your personel and also doesn't limit who you go after in the draft or FA ...

If we go after 1 bigtime free agent this offseason then it should be an OLineman. We tender Jason Campbell. Draft Bradford for the future. Round 2 we draft an OLineman. 4th round take a RB. Then other rounds we take best player available. If we make a trade, honestly as much as it hurts, trade Cooley bcuz he would net us a 2nd rounder which we could use for another OLineman.

I seriously doubt we will trade Cooley. Rebuilding the OL will be tough, and having 2 solid receiving TEs will be a big help in accumulating short yards over the middle to alleviate some of the pressure on the OL.

If we draft QB or OL in the 1st, either is going to be helped by having both those guys in.

It just seems to make more sense to me that an offensive "mastermind" like Shanny would sooner keep 2 proven commodities for an offense that struggled greatly this recent season.

Every analyst on ESPN and NFL network have said that Hayneworth is a DE in the 3-4. he is too tall to play that position and the primary reason he came to us was the 4-3 scheme and the promise he would be in the attacking style not the occupy linemen and let linebackers do the disrupting.

I wouldn't blame him at all if he demands a trade to a team that would utilize him correctly if the new coordinator decides to not play to his strengths.

Would being a DE in the 3-4 allow him to use his same playing style as a 4-3 DT? Disruption instead of occupying blockers?

Archived