Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN's Ed Werder now reporting Cowboys Wade Phillips will return

Hitman#21

I think this year has been seen as proof in Jerruh's eyes that he really IS a good GM and no need to bring in anyone who might require that he give up any of that power or those duties.

I just want to see how he would respond if next year the Cowboys drop back down to 8-8 and out of the playoffs (especially if Shanahan gets the Redskins a winning season and playoff birth at the same time...and ESPECIALLY if he does it with a new QB lol).

The thing is guys, the Cowboys will still probably be a winning team in 2010. Lets face they are a regular season built team. Built to rack up a lot of wins against inferior opponents, but get smashed in the mouth by the "good" teams.

They got their first playoff win against a one-dimensional Eagles team who basically forgot what a runnining game was, and who's defense dissapeared a season ago.

The Eagles were fortunate to have even been in the playoffs and probably won't be there next year.

I think Wade Phillips is in a similar role that Norv Turner is with the Chargers. Every year the team is good enough to give the ownership and fans hope. On paper they look like they should be shoe-ins for a deep playoff run or more, but it never happens.

Norv might get the ax this year though.

I think it's understandable. The feeling there is likely that this team is "on the verge" so to speak. They have a top 10 defense that still seems to be improving, a top notch running game and a franchise QB.

I can certainly see the logic in not changing anything big this offseason. But I think Wade might have to make a Super Bowl next year to return in 2011.

While I'd prefer a new coach in 2010, he's earned one more shot in 2010. The regular season winning percentage of .700+, 2 NFCE titles in 3 years and a playoff win (finally) was certainly enough.

That said, he's now set the bar higher for himself. If they do not progress from this season to next, ie: get to NFCC game and beyond, I cannot see him getting extended.

There will be some serious HC candidates available next season and Jones will want to make a splash if the team fails to progress.

I think it's understandable. The feeling there is likely that this team is "on the verge" so to speak. They have a top 10 defense that still seems to be improving, a top notch running game and a franchise QB.

I can certainly see the logic in not changing anything big this offseason. But I think Wade might have to make a Super Bowl next year to return in 2011.

RTF, you are right on point.

I am excited simply by the fact he was not extended beyond next season.

I think yesterday's debacle had a lot to do with that.

Archived