Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 8 Teams Unable to Sign Free Agents Next Year unless They Lose One.

3 Rings

Just FYI - One rule of the uncapped year is that the top 8 teams from this year are not allowed to sign Free Agents unless they lose one. Dallas and NYJ solidified themselves into this group yesterday.

(This info is from Schefter's latest Tweets and from the CBA itself)

i still want ot know what this means for the fans.

are ticket/parking/beer/food/drink prices at the stadiums going to go up?

otherwise Snyder is going to continue to ruin the fanbase, by pricing his own fans (what few left will actually buy tickets) out of the stadium.

i keep asking, noone can seem to answer that.

think baseball - and how expensive tickets are to the big spenders...

This article discusses it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808736ba&template=with-video&confirm=true

The rule will restrict the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired. Playoff teams five thru eight get a break to sign one player with a salary of $4,925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years.

There is a mechanism to permit the final eight teams to sign an unrestricted free agent for each one of their own unrestricted free agents who sign with another club as long as they don't spend more than what their own lost player received from his new club.

i still want ot know what this means for the fans.

are ticket/parking/beer/food/drink prices at the stadiums going to go up?

otherwise Snyder is going to continue to ruin the fanbase, by pricing his own fans (what few left will actually buy tickets) out of the stadium.

i keep asking, noone can seem to answer that.

think baseball - and how expensive tickets are to the big spenders...

Ticket prices are deided by what the market will bear.

The idea that these owners would lower prices to below what they could get, if only the players would take less, is laughable.

This is great and all, and it's good to have an owner like Snyder in an uncapped year, but it would actually be better for us if they were to come to new CBA agreement. This is simply because almost all of the UFA's become RFA's in an uncapped year, which means they won't be obtainable by us without giving up picks, something we won't/can't do.

This article discusses it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808736ba&template=with-video&confirm=true

The rule will restrict the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired. Playoff teams five thru eight get a break to sign one player with a salary of $4' date='925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years.

There is a mechanism to permit the final eight teams to sign an unrestricted free agent for each one of their own unrestricted free agents who sign with another club as long as they don't spend more than what their own lost player received from his new club.[/quote']

I'm glad you posted this. I knew there was a difference between the top 4 and next 4 and this confirms that. Teams 5-8 can sign one big money FA with a salary MORE than 4.925m. The first 4 cannot unless they lose a FA and then still can only spend the equivalent of what that player signed for with their new team.

Ticket prices are deided by what the market will bear.

The idea that these owners would lower prices to below what they could get, if only the players would take less, is laughable.

then i expect ticket prices to fall for the redskins.

cause the stadium is empty and i don't personally know a single person who's keeping their tickets. i'm the only idiot i know.

and the tickets are going for much less than face value on the 'after market'.

so if you're theory is correct - which it normally is in most businesses - then ticket prices should fall.

but they wont.

so your ecnomic theory wont apply here, and my question remains.

(its almost a stupid quesiton because most of the players salaries [if not all?] are paid for by sponsorships and tv contracts. the fans don't really pay the players in the sense most of them think they do)

then i expect ticket prices to fall for the redskins.

cause the stadium is empty and i don't personally know a single person who's keeping their tickets. i'm the only idiot i know.

and the tickets are going for much less than face value on the 'after market'.

so if you're theory is correct - which it normally is in most businesses - then ticket prices should fall.

but they wont.

so your ecnomic theory wont apply here, and my question remains.

(its almost a stupid quesiton because most of the players salaries [if not all?] are paid for by sponsorships and tv contracts. the fans don't really pay the players in the sense most of them think they do)

No. Thinking player salaries effects ticket prices means assuming the owners would be willing to set prices at a level that doesn't make them the most money.

If ticket price x is going to bring in more money than ticket price y, which are they going to charge? It's basic economics, and the amount they will spend on salaries is completely irrelevant.

No. Thinking player salaries effects ticket prices means assuming the owners would be willing to set prices at a level that doesn't make them the most money.

If ticket price x is going to bring in more money than ticket price y, which are they going to charge? It's basic economics, and the amount they will spend on salaries is completely irrelevant.

:doh:

Do that all you want, it's true and it's that simple.

Just to help, here is team salaries for 2008:

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/nfl-salaries.php

And here is team ticket prices for 2008:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/123936

Oakland, Dallas, and Minnesota were the 3 highest in team salary, but only Dallas was above the average ticket cost of $72. Minnesota was over too, but only by $1. Dallas was over by $12. Redskins were over by $7.

From these two links I couldn't find a correlation between high player salaries and high ticket prices.

Here's another issue, all the players who are scheduled to be RFAs won't necessarily demand draft picks if they're signed to a new team.

Here's a great site that explains everything really well:

http://www.askthecommish.com/freeagency/faq.asp

In short, their team must make a "qualifying offer" which will dictate whether or not a draft pick is the cost of signing them, and where the draft pick has to come from (1st round, 2nd round, etc). Some teams WILL refuse to sign their RFAs to a high enough contract to cost someone a draft pick, because either they're not THAT valuable to the team, or they don't really think someone will sign them away.

Here's the actual breakdown for what defines a qualifying offer, and what the demands are:

"The player's original team maintains the First Refusal Right if the team tenders a contract offer of one year at $1.01 M.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at the Player’s Original Draft Round (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at the same amount(s) listed above OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and Second Round Draft Selection (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $$1.545 million OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection (from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $2.198 million OR at least 110% of the player’s prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection and Third Round Draft Selection (both from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $2.792 million OR at least 110% of the player's prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.

In the event a Prior Club withdraws its Qualifying Offer, the RFA immediately becomes an UFA."

I thought this was pretty interesting because some teams might be willing to pay for the right of first refusal, but not high enough for a draft pick, especially if they've got multiple strong players at that position, or they just can't afford them (Buffalo and some other small market teams). Now if a guy is ACTUALLY worth a 1st, then 2 million is a pretty small price to pay, but if we're talking about a team 3 or 4 deep at RB, they're not going to want to pay the last couple guys 2 millions, especially if they've got some guys who are already ridiculously paid at that position. What this tells me is that there will be some very good, not STAR, players available. So, that list of UFAs will definitely be growing before we get to signing season.

From these two links I couldn't find a correlation between high player salaries and high ticket prices.

And, again, why would it?

I'm an owner. I can (for example):

Sell 100,000 tix at $50 per

Sell 80,000 tix at $100 per

Which am I going to do? And how do player salaries make a difference?

If salaires are lower, do I set prices at a level that will bring in less money?

If salaries are higher, do I set prices at a level that will bring in less money?

Whatever the different scenarios are, businessmen are always going to set prices to bring themselves the most possible money.

Archived