Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn:Bengals attempt to retain Zimmer

TE#80

Do you have a link?

Also, his contract will expire once the Bengals lose. The initial offer, earlier this season, was around $500k. As TK said, "show me the money" referring to Zimmer. Not likely the Bengals beat the Skins out on a coach they really want if it's all about money.

As TK said, "show me the money" referring to Zimmer. Not likely the Bengals beat the Skins out on a coach they really want if it's all about money.

:D NO ONE outbids Synder...NO ONE!!!

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/09/beng...retain-zimmer/

click link for entire article

Bengals will look to retain Zimmer

The Cincinnati Bengals will open contract talks with defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer next week in an effort to retain him. Zimmer’s contract is set to expire and a source with knowledge of the situation said the Bengals want to try to persuade the sought-after coach from taking a job elsewhere.

According to a source, the Washington Redskins are interested in hiring Zimmer to join new coach Mike Shanahan’s staff as defensive coordinator. If it becomes a bidding war, Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has shown the willingness to pay what is needed. The Bengals tend not to spend excessively.

Zimmer is revered in Cincinnati for building the defense into one of the better units in the NFL in his two seasons there. He has received much of the credit for the Bengals’ ascension to AFC North champions and for their playoff berth this season. He also is close with head coach Marvin Lewis.

That does not mean he would not leave for a better opportunity.

Zimmer, a longtime assistant in Dallas and former defensive coordinator with the Falcons, remains a head coaching candidate, but that option might not present itself because of the limited number of vacancies and possible openings this offseason.

Yeah, I saw this. It doesn't really matter, it's normal to renew a contract if you want to keep a coach who's contract is expiring. No big deal. It's not like it stops us from interviewing him if he wants to interview. And I don't think this is the Bengals panicking, they're just trying to resign the guy, they'd be stupid not to try.

Do we really want this guy?

The Jets one dimensional offense is starting to have their way again, for the second week straight.

Actually, I want the Jets' RB coach. He was Shanny's Offensive Assistant and Special Teams coach for him in Denver. He coached several good RBs to career years, including Fred Taylor and now Thomas Jones (also Julius Jones had career seasons under him, but I don't think Jones was THAT good) and he coached Jamal Lewis to a resurrgence in Cleveland.

The Jets one dimensional offense is starting to have their way again, for the second week straight.

I would agree with you except the Bengals shouldn't even be here. I don't think I can name one guy on their defense. Zim isn't working with much and they're doing dumb things. Like that last Jets TD, there was 2 LB's and a safety that bit on the underneath guy.

I have a question for you guys - if we lose tonight, and Jerry fires Wade, how would you like it if Shanahan hires Wade to be his DC? These men have worked together in Denver before.

:hysterical: As crazy as it sounds, I think some posters have brought up the idea in other threads.

I have a question for you guys - if we lose tonight, and Jerry fires Wade, how would you like it if Shanahan hires Wade to be his DC? These men have worked together in Denver before.

I'd be fine with it, Wade's a fantastic DC, as long as there's a clause in his contract that says he'll keel over and die before he thinks about being an HC for the Skins. I honestly don't have anything against Wade, he's too comical a character to really hate.

I actually think this would be great, he knows the Cowboys strengths and weaknesses, would definitely want to "stick it" to Jones if he were fired after THIS season, and he'll probably never get another chance to be an HC so we could just keep him as a DC for as long as we want (that whole continuity thing). I'm all for it.

I'd be fine with it, Wade's a fantastic DC, as long as there's a clause in his contract that says he'll keel over and die before he thinks about being an HC for the Skins. I honestly don't have anything against Wade, he's too comical a character to really hate.

I actually think this would be great, he knows the Cowboys strengths and weaknesses, would definitely want to "stick it" to Jones if he were fired after THIS season, and he'll probably never get another chance to be an HC so we could just keep him as a DC for as long as we want (that whole continuity thing). I'm all for it.

As disgusting as it sounds to hire a former Cowboy... it would be beautiful if we were to be extremely successful against them with Wade.:mad:

I'm not sure he'd be given another HC job. He's 62 right now, so hypothetically, if he were hired as our DC for one season he'd be around 63-64 if someone were to offer him another gig... I seriously doubt that would happen

Wade is a helluva D coordinator no one can deny that.

I doubt Wade would do that though. He would sit out a year or two before he'd take that kind of demotion.

Yes we do.

The Bengals seriously lack any major talent on defense. Zimmer is performing way above his means. If Blache was coaching the Bengals defense this season I'd be surprised if they actually won a game.

I don't think I could stomach seeing Wide Gomer Phillips stroling the sideline at Fed Ex ...

Wade is a helluva D coordinator no one can deny that.

I doubt Wade would do that though. He would sit out a year or two before he'd take that kind of demotion.

He's 62, I think sitting out a year or two may end up being it...

He's learned under some great defensive guys...

Bum Phillips

Buddy Ryan

Dan Reeves

Marty Schottenheimer

Ugh I hope not. SCREW THE 3-4.

Yeah, I completely forgot he'd want to run a 3-4, and I completely HATE that idea. So, I take back everything I said about Wade being a candidate. I don't want him AT ALL. But just because of the 3-4 issue.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2010/1/8/1241030/redskins-are-prepared-to-meet-with

Redskins are "prepared to meet" with defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer this weekend

atari_tiny.gif by Kirkendall on Jan 8, 2010 12:37 PM EST in Coaching News comment.v1599.png 22 comments

You can't argue that the biggest reason Cincinnati's defense has become a well respected defense in this league is the team's defensive coordinator, Mike Zimmer. Rumor recently surfaced that the Washington Redskins are interested in Zimmer and have targeted him for a lateral move. Speaking on history of both franchises, an offer from the Redskins would undoubtedly crush whatever offer the Bengals would make.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora writes that if the Bengals lose to the Jets this weekend, the Washington Redskins are "prepared to meet with Zimmer this weekend." However, Zimmer isn't the only candidate. La Canfora also writes that that the Redskins "plan to meet with Jim Haslett, a former NFL head coach, according to a league source."

The one interesting point La Canfora makes is:

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan has been continually intrigued by the prospects of going to a 3-4 scheme, which is part of the reason why Haslett is so attractive.

Archived