Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn:Bengals attempt to retain Zimmer

TE#80

No way, clean house, that includes Gray as well. The DBs were horrible this season and last time I checked he was the DB coach, he didn't do his job well and should be let go like everyone else.

You mean the guy with a top five ranked Unit in the nfl?

JG is a agressive DC!

If we keep Jerry He will prove to be a fine DC here, then the ES fans will Praise his DC skills.That's when I will bump this thread back up again;)

I could've swore i remembered him saying that but even if he didn't, it doesn't change the fact that he wouldn't fit into a 3-4.

Please explain to me how he would be a perfect NT. Orakpo as DE? are u kidding me? he's a OLB in that system. Carter? he failed in san fan with a younger body. why should he succeed suddenly here. even if he does, still a OLB not a DE. Jarmon i can see working out if he gains weight. Oh and we'd need couple more new LBs as well. Rocky is a 4-3 LB. I used to be a miami fan so ive seen almost every game of his, and he does not look like a 3-4 for me.

Haynesworth would make the perfect NT. Why? 6'6" 350lbs., quick off the ball, strong enough too take on double teams, which he does now. Al could blow up both gaps, which he would be responsible for. Why does everyone feel like Haynesworth wouldn't fit.

Who says Carter will even be around? Will the Skins even resign Rocky?

Haynesworth would make the perfect NT. Why? 6'6" 350lbs., quick off the ball, strong enough too take on double teams, which he does now. Al could blow up both gaps, which he would be responsible for. Why does everyone feel like Haynesworth wouldn't fit.

Cause he would make a much better 3-4 DE.

not true. How in the world did the Packers and the Broncos make the switch?

Because they had some players that could work both ways. Haynesworth is NOT a 3-4 NT. Orakpo and Carter are NOT 3-4 DEs. Fletcher is NOT a 3-4 ILB. Rocky is NOT a 3-4 OLB. Jarmon is NOT a 3-4 DE. You want to put a round peg in a square hole. Some of their players transitioned well to the 3-4 ours do not. Elvis Dumervil was a classic 3-4 OLB when they drafted him and when they made a switch to the 3-4 it showed.

Man you obviously have no idea what a 3-4 NT is responsible for. If you did you would see that Al is a complete waste of talent as a 3-4 NT. His job is NOT to blow up gaps its to maintain gaps allowing ILBs and OLBs to make plays. Al has legitimate pass rushing skills which would be wasted in a 3-4 NT position. He sounded off for Blache making him hold gaps in his defense so how would switching to a 3-4 where he would do the same thing benefit this team at all.

Its one game. You can't bury a guys entire lifes work for one game. He was great as the Cowboys DC, and worked wonders in Cincy. Quick, name two Bengals defensive starters. Most people can't...

Keith Rivers and Rey Maualuga. I think the Bengals actually have a better back seven than we do.

I watched yesterday's game, for hints of what we might see with Zimmer. It was a bit difficult as they were playing a run-heavy Jets team that I'm sure affected the Bengals' defensive alignments. The Bengals did press a lot more than we have in recent years, and they kept the safety in the box for much of the game. They seemed to implement more run blitzes, as on passing down's, it looked like mostly a 4 man rush. That's probably not how I'd attack a rookie QB, but the Bengals really were beaten because they didn't have the front four to stop the Jet's running game.

Cause he would make a much better 3-4 DE.

Al would most likely be successful as a 3-4 DE but then we would need a NT, another DE, 2 ILBs and at least one OLB. Then we would need to get rid of Monty, Golston, Carter, Fletcher, Rocky, Jarmon and Blades. None of those players are fit for a 3-4. Even Orakpo is classic 4-3 DE speed rusher. Getting rid of the talent we have would be completely idiotic.

Keith Rivers and Rey Maualuga. I think the Bengals actually have a better back seven than we do.

I watched yesterday's game, for hints of what we might see with Zimmer. It was a bit difficult as they were playing a run-heavy Jets team that I'm sure affected the Bengals' defensive alignments. The Bengals did press a lot more than we have in recent years, and they kept the safety in the box for much of the game. They seemed to implement more run blitzes, as on passing down's, it looked like mostly a 4 man rush. That's probably not how I'd attack a rookie QB, but the Bengals really were beaten because they didn't have the front four to stop the Jet's running game.

Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall are so much better than Rogers, Smoot and Hall

Exactly. People say they dont want Zimmer because he couldnt stop the Jets. Well he is going up against one of if not the best OL in the league with a lot lesser talent on their DL. He held them to 24 points which resulted from a couple of big plays not a lot of long sustained drives.

Robert Geathers, Domata Peko, Tank Johnson, Antwan Odom

Thats the Bengals defensive front 4. Minus Odom because he is on IR so that kicks the talent level down even more.

Andre Carter, Albert Haynesworth, Cornelius Griffen, Brian Orakpo

Thats what Zimmer would be working with here. Possibly an upgrade over Griffen as well. We would have stood up better against the Jets rushing attack with our DL. Though Im quite impressed with Peko. I will look up his contract status and see if he is a FA this upcoming season.

What does that even mean? real man's defense? As someone else said, 3-4 leads to elite defenses in most case.

However we CANNOT run the 3-4. And haynesworth has been quoted saying he does not prefer the 3-4.

Link? When did he ever say that?

People who are saying he'd be a good NT are wrong. He is not a gap eater, if anything he'd be a DE in a 3-4 and do we wanna pay 100mill for a 3-4 DE? (the least dominant position in a 3-4 defense)

No, the biggest man plays the NT. Haynesworth would not play DE in the 3-4. Thats ridiculous. Big Al wants too attack. Jay Ratliff, a man that is barely 300lbs, is a dominant NT. So, I know that Haynesworth can.

Also switching to 3-4 means, we pretty much have to change our entire front 7. yea, im sure our line can last another year as it is.

Not true. NT: Haynesworth, Montgomery(?) DE: Golston, Alexander, Jarmon

If our line didn't need so much of an upgrade id be all up for the idea of starting to draft for 3-4 however. But we do need a ****load of upgrading to

The Skins have a lot of upgrading to do, which is why I believe the Skins will be trading players, for picks.

Man you obviously have no idea what a 3-4 NT is responsible for. If you did you would see that Al is a complete waste of talent as a 3-4 NT. His job is NOT to blow up gaps its to maintain gaps allowing ILBs and OLBs to make plays. Al has legitimate pass rushing skills which would be wasted in a 3-4 NT position. He sounded off for Blache making him hold gaps in his defense so how would switching to a 3-4 where he would do the same thing benefit this team at all.

No ****!!!!!!!!! I know exactly what the NT does in the 3-4. And d*mn sure doesn't want too play DE, like many fans are barking. If the DC allows him to Haynesworth too attack the QB, it would work.

Haynesworth is not going to play nose tackle or defensive end in the 3-4 where the linebackers are the playmakers and the DL are space eaters.

The Redskins also don't have a set of linebackers that are a fit for that alignment.

Orakpo doesn't belong at OLB to begin with.

McIntosh is 229 and much too light to play in the 3-4.

Fletcher has been a middle backer in the 4-3 for his entire 11 year career.

There's your starters :)

If Shanahan wants to get off the ground running the best way to do that is NOT to deconstruct the defense and attempt to build a better mousetrap.

There is too much to do on offense.

Archived