Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sources: Seahawks hire USC's Carroll

authentic

Carroll has a career winning record as a head coach in the NFL, he's won a division title before (albeit he was handed a Super Bowl team). He's won a playoff game before. And he's not one of these "College Lifers" that seem to fail with regularity once they finally get their shot at the big league. This is an NFL guy through and through. He cut his teeth in the NFL and he has a high level of experience there. He might not be able to build as dominant of a program in the NFL as he did at USC, but that's near impossible anyway.

He's a proven leader who's going to surround himself with good people who are talented at what they do. If people expect him to come in and go undefeated every season and win the National championship, then you'll obviously be disappointed. He'll mold the Seahawks into a solid organization and that's what he's there to do; the winning will come. This isn't Steve Spurrier or Butch Davis they're hiring here people. He knows what you need to win, and he knows what you need to win at the NFL level. You could do a hell of a lot worse than Pete Carroll, especially when you're rebuilding like Seattle. He'll succeed if people aren't placing the unrealistic expectations of duplicating what he did at USC in the NFL. It's just not possible.

This looks even more bleek when/if my theory comes true:

Reggie Bush will be released cuz his $ isnt worth his value and its an uncapped year so they can take the hit and Matt Leinart could be expendable from the Arizona Cardinals after his last performance in week 17, could be a USC reunion brewing...hmmm

Carroll has a career winning record as a head coach in the NFL, he's won a division title before (albeit he was handed a Super Bowl team). He's won a playoff game before. And he's not one of these "College Lifers" that seem to fail with regularity once they finally get their shot at the big league. This is an NFL guy through and through. He cut his teeth in the NFL and he has a high level of experience there. He might not be able to build as dominant of a program in the NFL as he did at USC, but that's near impossible anyway.

He's a proven leader who's going to surround himself with good people who are talented at what they do. If people expect him to come in and go undefeated every season and win the National championship, then you'll obviously be disappointed. He'll mold the Seahawks into a solid organization and that's what he's there to do; the winning will come. This isn't Steve Spurrier or Butch Davis they're hiring here people. He knows what you need to win, and he knows what you need to win at the NFL level. You could do a hell of a lot worse than Pete Carroll, especially when you're rebuilding like Seattle. He'll succeed if people aren't placing the unrealistic expectations of duplicating what he did at USC in the NFL. It's just not possible.

This

A few more years of sucking in Seattle....nothing they aren't used to.

Just returning to their glorious tradition. Yeah, this was a dumb hire, IMO, unless they're planning on playing in Div I, which might not be a bad idea for Seattle. I like PC, so I wish he'd stayed at USC and become a college football legend. I don't think he'll be horrible, I just think Seattle is the worst place he could have picked, besides Oakland. Seahawks fans know next to nothing about football and have even more ridiculous expectations than we do.

I bet no one in the media says two words about the fact that they're going to be "taking advantage" of any coach they now interview for the Rooney Rule. This is even worse than the Skins', yet no one will care because it's NOT the Skins. Stupid people.

yeah that is what I was telling my dad last night about it. But what also makes me mad, besides everyone and their mother getting on the Redskins about the Rooney Rule when the Seahawks in my opinion were so much worst hiring your coach before interviewing a minority coach, is it seems Leslie Frazier was kind of forced to do this sham of an interview. Why not interview someone on their own staff, like the Skins did. I am rooting for Frazier to get the Buffalo job, I can't help it I feel bad for the guy. But I agree tell them your number one candidate and if that coach doesn't want the job or you have no clear number one, then do the Rooney Rule, like Buffalo and the Skins two years ago.

Can't say I saw this one coming. The Rooney Rule is a farce now. They need to fix it.

I don't see how it can be fixed. Personally I think it is an unnecessary rule, people should be hired for their coaching skills, but thats another topic for another day.

I don't think Carroll will do much in Seattle, except his players can legally get paid now. ZING! :silly:

Carroll is sprinting out of LA before all the NCAA sanctions hit, for all of U$C's recruiting (and other) violations. The guy is a complete sleazebag who pays his players, and that entire Athletic Department is spectacularly corrupt. (Don't forget, the same scandal is simultaneously hitting their men's basketball team, for all the O.J. Mayo violations.)

For Carroll, Seattle is just a safe harbor, where he can bide his time while the U$C scandal unfolds.

An interesting little Redskins related note on all of this:

USC has reached out to former Carroll assistant Steve Sarkisian -- current head man at Washington.

We know that Jake Locker, the big man on campus at UW and highly touted Junior QB, has already said he's coming back for his senior year. BUT .......... what if Sarkisian leaves for USC? Maybe Locker decides he's not gonna deal with a new coach and decides to enter the draft.

Ripe for the Skins picking at #4.

Just sayin ......................

I don't see how it can be fixed. Personally I think it is an unnecessary rule' date=' people should be hired for their coaching skills, but thats another topic for another day.

I don't think Carroll will do much in Seattle, except his players can legally get paid now. ZING! :silly:[/quote']

Can't have coaching skills if you're never given the opportunity.

That's the point of the Rooney Rule. You can want Shanahan and think he's the best coach for the job but unless you do actual due diligence, then it's a crock.

Can't have coaching skills if you're never given the opportunity.

That's the point of the Rooney Rule. You can want Shanahan and think he's the best coach for the job but unless you do actual due diligence, then it's a crock.

You know teams aren't doing their due diligence at all, they all for the most part know who they want to coach their team, and they could care less about a rule that says the have to interview certain candidates. It turns the rule into a mockery and basically is used as a hindrance for owners to hire the coach they want.

Its not fair to the minority candidates either. They are forced to go through sham interviews to fulfill a rule. They should be given better than that.

This rule won't ever allow that.

He won't, because Florio has something against us. But looks like they did the same thing as what the Redskins did.

How? The Redskins interviewed Jerry Gray. Who did the Seahawks interview? Jerry Gray might not have had a chance to get the job, but the Redskin complied with the letter of the rule and got the okay from the league and the Fitz Pollard group. Did the Seahawks? Where's Florio and LaCanfora and Glazer and the rest of those ready to burn the Snyder and the Redskins at the stake?

Does anybody know what the penalty is for not following the Rooney Rule? If it's just money, then that might explain it. Paul Allen might have said, the hell with it. This is the guy I want and I'll pay whatever it takes to get him.

An interesting little Redskins related note on all of this:

USC has reached out to former Carroll assistant Steve Sarkisian -- current head man at Washington.

We know that Jake Locker, the big man on campus at UW and highly touted Junior QB, has already said he's coming back for his senior year. BUT .......... what if Sarkisian leaves for USC? Maybe Locker decides he's not gonna deal with a new coach and decides to enter the draft.

I don't think Sarkisian has anything to do with Locker being there. Locker's there because he's a Washington kid who grew up a Huskie's fan. He was going to Washington regardless of the coach. I might be wrong, but he went there when Ty Willingham was the coach. If you read article's about Locker from when he was in high school, it was apparent he was going to be a Huskie.

God, I hope not.

Arizona, San Fran, and St Louis are thrilled by this hire. Carroll is not an NFL coach.

Seattle won 4 games in 2008 and 5 last year. I doubt they are worried about who is coaching that team. Carroll's record isn't terrible as an NFL coach. And he didn't really coach that long. I think it remains to be seen if he can coach at this level.

Carroll is great when he has unlimited recruiting resources in a marshmallow-soft candy ass college conference.

In a league where talent is fairly even, he sucks.

This has been proven, what- twice now?

I guess he feels he's developed a plan...or something. It will be interesting to see, actually.

As for the PAC 10, he's not even the best coach in the conference (that would be Harbaugh) and USC routinely blows a game to a team with inferior talent, be it Oregon State or Stanford or the like.

College has more parity due to reduced scholarships but USC has a stranglehold on talent at this point but it might take a dip now (though perhaps it's their recruiters and position coaches that deserve some credit.)

Carroll is sprinting out of LA before all the NCAA sanctions hit, for all of U$C's recruiting (and other) violations. The guy is a complete sleazebag who pays his players, and that entire Athletic Department is spectacularly corrupt. (Don't forget, the same scandal is simultaneously hitting their men's basketball team, for all the O.J. Mayo violations.)

For Carroll, Seattle is just a safe harbor, where he can bide his time while the U$C scandal unfolds.

There is some truth to this, I think, if only the second part (I don't know enough about it to comment too much on the first part of what you said.)

What I can say is Rick Neuheisel is a complete tool and scumbag, as are many college coaches. The system is rotten and when I read stories about coaches like Rick Majerus (who's jerky and kind of weird) and the other stuff you hear, it makes me think that much of the talk of "guiding young men," "developing character" and all that is bull**** beyond belief.

That's not to say a man may try to be decent, I know that Lloyd Carr really seemed to and kicked guys off the team when they did something really stupid but it just seems you skate when you're an athlete, the coaches get rich while players deal with debilitating injuries for the rest of their lives and are thrown on the trash heap if they ever need help and are never ACTUALLY guided to become better people and men.

They should really just jettison the current system, have each college pay players to be "represent" the school, have the pros pitch in for developmental reasons, and any player who WANTS to take part in the educational aspect can do so as part of the position but doesn't have to. But then, that wouldn't do much for the crime problem, I don't think, other than maybe it might be less prone to concealing it.

Archived