Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sources: Seahawks hire USC's Carroll

authentic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4810861

Pete Carroll has reached agreement with the Seahawks on a deal to be their next head coach, multiple NFL sources confirmed early Saturday morning.

Carroll was fully expected to be introduced by the Seahawks as early as Monday, assuming they comply with the Rooney Rule this weekend.

where's Florio when you need him..

I'm shocked by this. I have several friends that are Seahawk fans and they are pissed.

Well, he worked with Pro's before for the Pats...(and numerous guys at USC were getting paid as well).

Surprising that they pulled the plug on Mora after one year. They must've got their man.

Can't say I saw this one coming. The Rooney Rule is a farce now. They need to fix it.

Yes. NFL teams should be able to announce to the league (privately), their #1 candidate. If that #1 agrees to coach your team then you don't need to comply with the Rooney Rule.

Shanny was the number 1 seed, and it was a closed pool of candidates unless he declined. What's wrong with that? It's how business works.

Carroll is supposedly getting full control, which is why Leslie Frazier of the Vikings doesn't want to interview for the job.

Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier could agree to interview, but he is unwilling to do so if Carroll has been promised full control of the Seahawks -- and multiple sources say he has.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4810861&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

We'll see how this works out. College coaches don't work out in the NFL and I don't see why this guy is any different.

Carroll is supposedly getting full control, which is why Leslie Frazier of the Vikings doesn't want to interview for the job.
This gives me even more respect for Frazier, smart man.

If Seattle gives Carroll complete control this will blow up on them in monstrous fashion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4810861&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

We'll see how this works out. College coaches don't work out in the NFL and I don't see why this guy is any different.

Yeah, that Jimmy Johnson was awful.

Carroll is great when he has unlimited recruiting resources in a marshmallow-soft candy ass college conference.

In a league where talent is fairly even, he sucks.

This has been proven, what- twice now?

yup, thats why I said its going to be fun to watch. I can't stand the Seahawks.

Yes. NFL teams should be able to announce to the league (privately), their #1 candidate. If that #1 agrees to coach your team then you don't need to comply with the Rooney Rule.

Shanny was the number 1 seed, and it was a closed pool of candidates unless he declined. What's wrong with that? It's how business works.

Nothing is wrong with it, but the point I'm making is that there were some loopholes, and teams found the loopholes, and went through them. Shanny is a good coach, and I'm glad now(at first I was on the fence with him), they got him. Now, as soon as the Seahawks announced they fired Mora Jr., 2-3 hours later, they are in the talks with Pete Carroll and the 'sources' say that Carroll is working on a staff already.

I don't know what to think about this. I think Carroll is a good coach and it's possible he's learned something over the past decade of coaching a perennial contender.

As for the Rooney Rule, something has to change. I think it's a dumb rule to begin with, but I like the spirit of it. I'm not really sure where they should go with it. On the surface though, I think it's mostly unfair to the minority candidates who get token interviews when they are never truly in the running for the job.

This has Titanic written all over it (as in sinking with almost all hands aboard). He's bringing Bates along with him, who had never been an OC until this year at USC, to run the offense. Oh boy Petey...

Seahawks Offense-TM-Seahawks Jan. 9 - 11:32 am et

USC offensive coordinator is going to Seattle with Pete Carroll and will run the Seahawks' offense.

Bates was a target for the same position with the Bears because of his connection with Jay Cutler. Bates' hiring is one of many to come in Seattle's overhaul of the coaching staff. He was last in the NFL with the Broncos in 2008 as the team's quarterbacks coach.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Seahawks Offense-TM-Seahawks Jan. 9 - 11:24 am et

The Seahawks will interview Packers director of football operations John Schneider for their GM position on Tuesday.

It's widely assumed that when Pete Carroll takes over the reins in Seattle he will be calling the shots. The interviewing of Schneider next week throws a bit of a wrench into the speculation of what Carroll will actually be controlling. Schneider has been Green Bay's director of football operations for eight years and would likely bring a Ted Thompson-like approach.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Carroll is great when he has unlimited recruiting resources in a marshmallow-soft candy ass college conference.

In a league where talent is fairly even, he sucks.

This has been proven, what- twice now?

I'd like everyone to read this several times. In fact, memorize it. The man speaks the truth.

I'd like everyone to read this several times. In face, memorize it. The man speaks the truth.

Let's not get the East Coast Bias machine rolling and derailing this thread, huh? Especially spouting off half truths, as over the period of 1998 to 2008, the Pac-10 actually lead the SEC 10-7 (.588) in head to head matchups.

Archived