Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Take McNabb on the Skins? (Merged & M.E.T.)

kingdaddy

getting mcnabb would be the "win now" mentality and were not just one QB away at this point. too many holes to fill to bring in a vet like mcnabb whos still a top flight QB in this league.

What about veteran leadership and what's best for us building a winning team?

I believe that the future franchise QB's not on the roster at this time. I don't think our best chance of winning sits with Campbell. So why would I want him to come back for another year or two just to see him then hit the road? If Jason's not the franchise QB then we need to go get one.

I believe that our best chance to draft a franchise QB sits in this draft this year. I also think that the best thing for any rookie QB is to sit the bench for at least a season, but I'd prefer he sat two years. The research I've done lately tells me that QB's who sit and don't play as rookies do better then those thrown right in the fire by a 3 to 1 margin. Which leads me to believe that if were going to take a QB sometime in the next three years we are better off taking him in this years draft since we have other problems on the team to fix and that's going to take time too. So we draft the franchise QB this year or risk giving him less time sitting and learning which helps him long term and plan him to start in year 3. The Eagles agreed with the importance of sitting a QB for a few seasons when they drafted Kolb a few years ago and sat him. We should do the same.

So if the team agrees with me on this point then were going to need a starting QB that can do the following:

1. Give the current team a good chance to win (I don't think that's a bad thing)

2. Gives the rookie some veteran leadership and example on how to play QB in this league

McNabb has much more experience then Campbell does and would be a much better mentor for the rookie then Campbell would. At the same time I think like you do that McNabb gives us the better chance to win then Campbell does. Campbell is a poor man's McNabb, why go with the imitation with the original sitting right there? If Shanny gets the team rolling we can actually compete with a guy like McNabb immediately. What is wrong with that?

The chance that McNabb is released I believe depends on this playoff game. If the Eagles lose it I do think they let him go. If they let him go we'd be smart to pick him up. McNabb is 33, Farve is 40. That's not too old to play QB in the league.

we have 3 QB's we dont need him. JC will stay and all will be well

Jason Campbell

Todd Collins

Colt Brennan

You could combine the three and they couldn't equal a Donavan McNabb. Sorry but all that threesome tells me is we need QB's and who in the last 10 years has been as good as McNabb?

Tom Brady

Payton Manning

Kurt Warner

Ben Rothesberger

Who else?

McNabb's contract runs one more year and almost all of it is guaranteed. They would save around 1.5 mil by cutting him. No way that happens. And how much do you think they would want to trade him to a division rival?

No way he comes here. And, given the price it would take (both to trade for him and a new contract) and his age, I wouldn't want any part of it anyway,

What about veteran leadership and what's best for us building a winning team?

I believe that the future franchise QB's not on the roster at this time. I don't think our best chance of winning sits with Campbell. So why would I want him to come back for another year or two just to see him then hit the road? If Jason's not the franchise QB then we need to go get one.

I believe that our best chance to draft a franchise QB sits in this draft this year. I also think that the best thing for any rookie QB is to sit the bench for at least a season, but I'd prefer he sat two years. The research I've done lately tells me that QB's who sit and don't play as rookies do better then those thrown right in the fire by a 3 to 1 margin. Which leads me to believe that if were going to take a QB sometime in the next three years we are better off taking him in this years draft since we have other problems on the team to fix and that's going to take time too. So we draft the franchise QB this year or risk giving him less time sitting and learning which helps him long term and plan him to start in year 3. The Eagles agreed with the importance of sitting a QB for a few seasons when they drafted Kolb a few years ago and sat him. We should do the same.

So if the team agrees with me on this point then were going to need a starting QB that can do the following:

1. Give the current team a good chance to win (I don't think that's a bad thing)

2. Gives the rookie some veteran leadership and example on how to play QB in this league

McNabb has much more experience then Campbell does and would be a much better mentor for the rookie then Campbell would. At the same time I think like you do that McNabb gives us the better chance to win then Campbell does. Campbell is a poor man's McNabb, why go with the imitation with the original sitting right there? If Shanny gets the team rolling we can actually compete with a guy like McNabb immediately. What is wrong with that?

The chance that McNabb is released I believe depends on this playoff game. If the Eagles lose it I do think they let him go. If they let him go we'd be smart to pick him up. McNabb is 33, Farve is 40. That's not too old to play QB in the league.

id love to have mcnabb, but if we get mcnabb, we still have to fix the oline and get a QB, and i think mcnabb here would delay a youth movement. besides, how long are we gonna start mcnabb for? hes still somewhat in the prime of his career (probably has 3 good years left) and hes not gonna play one year with a rookie QB nipping at his heels. he'll wanna go to a place where he can contend, not be a stop gap for a youngster.

i want us to draft a 1st round QB, i just dont think mcnabb is gonna want to be on a team thats just using him as a stop gap. he'll wanna go to a Favre situation.

Hes not exactly a upgrade over campbell.

He is a complete and total upgrade from Campbell actually.

I don't imagine he'd come here anyway because we'll have hopefully drafted a new young QB and won't be in a position to win a SB in the next two years which I'm sure is what he'll be wanting.

id love to have mcnabb, but if we get mcnabb, we still have to fix the oline and get a QB,

Sure and if we don't get McNabb we still need these things. McNabb is 33 years old, he could play for another 3 to 7 years maybe. I think it's safe to say he can be counted on for at least 2 years. That's the right amount of time for our team to get fixed and the rookie QB to sit and learn.

and i think mcnabb here would delay a youth movement.

Age on a team is not that important to me. I wouldn't mind if the teams age was in the upper 20's overall if we were Superbowl champs would you? As far as delaying a youth movement, Kolbs been on the bench for 3 years now. He's gotten to learn from McNabb and he's looked good in his starts. This year he had 2 starts and in those he threw for 391 yards and 2 TD's, and in the other he threw for 327 and 2 TD's. McNabb's old age would offset with the rookies young age so the age average wouldn't be an issue. And age is not a reason to start someone

besides, how long are we gonna start mcnabb for? hes still somewhat in the prime of his career (probably has 3 good years left) and hes not gonna play one year with a rookie QB nipping at his heels. he'll wanna go to a place where he can contend, not be a stop gap for a youngster.

Why? He's been doing that for 3 years now and let his superior play dictate who the starter was for the Eagles. That's the kind of guy you want on the team.

i want us to draft a 1st round QB, i just dont think mcnabb is gonna want to be on a team thats just using him as a stop gap. he'll wanna go to a Favre situation.

I want us to draft a first round QB as well. But I don't think he'd hesitate to come here and work for Shanny.

He is a complete and total upgrade from Campbell actually.

I don't imagine he'd come here anyway because we'll have hopefully drafted a new young QB and won't be in a position to win a SB in the next two years which I'm sure is what he'll be wanting.

Who says?

Think about it. We've got two Shanny's, we got a bunch of young WR's for him to throw to, we've got a talented defense. We've been missing:

1. Consistant QB play (McNabb fixes that)

2. Good play calling (Shanny #2 fixes that)

3. Good running plays (Healthy Portis, Shanny #1, and better offensive line play fixes that)

4. Consistent Defense (Hope someone comes in and makes us better there)

And what wanna be play off team could use a McNabb? We seem to be the best fit for McNabb that I can think of. We'd definitely be in the running. The teams he could go to:

Miami (Maybe)

Carolina (Maybe)

Denver (Maybe)

The other teams I can't see him getting offers from.

http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=league

Who else would McNabb consider going to?

Sure and if we don't get McNabb we still need these things. McNabb is 33 years old, he could play for another 3 to 7 years maybe. I think it's safe to say he can be counted on for at least 2 years. That's the right amount of time for our team to get fixed and the rookie QB to sit and learn.

Age on a team is not that important to me. I wouldn't mind if the teams age was in the upper 20's overall if we were Superbowl champs would you? As far as delaying a youth movement, Kolbs been on the bench for 3 years now. He's gotten to learn from McNabb and he's looked good in his starts. This year he had 2 starts and in those he threw for 391 yards and 2 TD's, and in the other he threw for 327 and 2 TD's. McNabb's old age would offset with the rookies young age so the age average wouldn't be an issue. And age is not a reason to start someone

Why? He's been doing that for 3 years now and let his superior play dictate who the starter was for the Eagles. That's the kind of guy you want on the team.

I want us to draft a first round QB as well. But I don't think he'd hesitate to come here and work for Shanny.

i guess youve made a good point and id be ok with mcnabb here if that is how things worked out. i never really thought kolb posed any threat to mcnabb in philly, except for like a few games when mcnabb was sucking, but im not even sure the eagles think kolb is the next guy, but who knows.

if we still draft a QB and can sign mcnabb to a decent deal, im ok with that.

i guess youve made a good point and id be ok with mcnabb here if that is how things worked out. i never really thought kolb posed any threat to mcnabb in philly, except for like a few games when mcnabb was sucking, but im not even sure the eagles think kolb is the next guy, but who knows.

Kolb was drafted in the first round and given a first round contract. The fans might not think he is the future of the franchise but the owner and coach sure do. He's been handled perfectly since being drafted and that's something we must do with our rookie QB. Sit him on the bench for a minimum of a year and if we had someone like McNabb we'd be ok with being patient. This is the kind of player I think that Gibbs wanted when he brought in Brunell to lead the team. The difference with it I believe is Brunell was old and couldn't play, McNabb can still play.

if we still draft a QB and can sign mcnabb to a decent deal, im ok with that.

I don't see why we couldn't. The real problem I have with this is that it means I have to root for the Pukes this weekend. If McNabb goes on to beat them here there is no way Reid dumps him in the off season. So the Eagles have to lose for this to happen and that means the Pukes winning....augh that makes me want to vomit

Who says?

Think about it. We've got two Shanny's, we got a bunch of young WR's for him to throw to, we've got a talented defense. We've been missing:

1. Consistant QB play (McNabb fixes that)

2. Good play calling (Shanny #2 fixes that)

3. Good running plays (Healthy Portis, Shanny #1, and better offensive line play fixes that)

4. Consistent Defense (Hope someone comes in and makes us better there)

And what wanna be play off team could use a McNabb? We seem to be the best fit for McNabb that I can think of. We'd definitely be in the running. The teams he could go to:

Miami (Maybe)

Carolina (Maybe)

Denver (Maybe)

The other teams I can't see him getting offers from.

http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=league

Who else would McNabb consider going to?

You make good points but you're making assumptions on our OL being fixed properly (and very quickly) and assuming our running game gets back on track. I'm not convinced either of those things happens before next season starts. Thus, I'm not sure McNabb would be either.

You make good points but you're making assumptions on our OL being fixed properly (and very quickly) and assuming our running game gets back on track. I'm not convinced either of those things happens before next season starts. Thus, I'm not sure McNabb would be either.

Couple of things have to happen I grant you that.

For one we'd have to get Portis in the fold. Regardless of the fans attitude towards CP he is our best Running Back peroid. He has to show a committment to the team and the coach and start practicing. I do think no Portis means no McNabb.

Secondly we'd have to overhaul the offensive line. Regardless of what Oldskool and his bretheran have been screaming here lately, there will be Free Agent linemen who can upgrade the line availible to us that will improve the team. We have to bring in a few of them and at the same time draft some young studs there. The most important thing about the line is we have to make it appear as if we've addressed it and are addressing the problem.

If McNabb questions either of these he won't come in unless we gave him a redonkulous contract. However to appear as if we are addressing our issues isn't that hard to do. But I agree, he would want to see that happen for sure.

A couple more things on McNabb: Look at the difference a QB has made in Minnesota. Granted they have a stud RB and a solid OL but the big thing Favre brought them was the ability to give everyone on that offense confidence which made them all better players. McNabb would likely do this with whatever WC offense team he ends up with next.

Also, he knows the NFC East and is used knows what it takes to win in the division/conference. If he ever had a running game he'd really be valuable.

Finally, if you could compare McNabb's career to any other QB, John Elway would be a great comparison. Elway struggled to win the SB until Shanahan gave him a running game. The same thing has happened to McNabb. If he ever gets a running game to rely on, he'll be even better than he is.

I'm not a huge McNabb fan but I've seen him play virtually every game of his career. He is better than what we have now in so many ways. He would also be out to prove something if the Birds let him go or deal him. That being said, if the Eagles decide to keep him and shop Kolb, I'd be all over trying to get Kevin Kolb as the future QB in DC.

I'm not a huge McNabb fan but I've seen him play virtually every game of his career. He is better than what we have now in so many ways. He would also be out to prove something if the Birds let him go or deal him. That being said, if the Eagles decide to keep him and shop Kolb, I'd be all over trying to get Kevin Kolb as the future QB in DC.

Great point. If Kolb is the guy they shop and both players are entering the last years on there deals then I'd be interested in him as well.

McNabb is a top 10 qb and would be a huge upgrade over JC. Nothing against JC. But as another poster pointed out McNabb would bring that "win now" mentality which this team is obviously not ready for.

Hold on to JC for a year or 2 and groom someone behind him.

Archived