Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Order of Okung

mistertim

He is vastly overrated. I see him as a better Stephon Heyer. He is a good pass protector when he is committed, but he is a poor run blocker that is not a physical presence on the line. He is not close to being worth a top 10 pick. We would be making a huge mistake drafting him with the 4th overall pick. I really hope that we are able to work out a trade where we move back in the draft.

He is vastly overrated. I see him as a better Stephon Heyer. He is a good pass protector when he is committed, but he is a poor run blocker that is not a physical presence on the line. He is not close to being worth a top 10 pick. We would be making a huge mistake drafting him with the 4th overall pick. I really hope that we are able to work out a trade where we move back in the draft.
Is this true? I thought he was the consensus top Tackle in the draft?

Don't like the sound of that.

I would love to see Gerald McCoy lined up next to Albert Haynesworth.

Mooka, I've read several reports that state he is quite the pass blocker and will improve with instruction and more training but lacks power in run blocking.

In a way, what the previous poster said about him being a better Heyer is correct. Heyer has shown some ability in pass blocking, particularly in 2007. It was his horrific run blocking that led to Jansen being re-inserted.

Okung is a good prospect but I don't believe in most deep LT drafts that he would merit a top 5 selection.

Mooka, I've read several reports that state he is quite the pass blocker and will improve with instruction and more training but lacks power in run blocking.

In a way, what the previous poster said about him being a better Heyer is correct. Heyer has shown some ability in pass blocking, particularly in 2007. It was his horrific run blocking that led to Jansen being re-inserted.

Okung is a good prospect but I don't believe in most deep LT drafts that he would merit a top 5 selection.

Well I've only seen him play once. Have to go by the scouting reports.

This kinda sounds like he has to potential to be overpowered by NFL ends and linebackers. He'd have to get stronger and bulk up.

I wonder what the talent difference is between Okung, Davis, and Campbell.

Okung is clearly the top rated OT, but Davis and Campbell look good too. I would rather trade down a little and pick up any kind of extra picks if we could land Campbell.

We better draft a tackle. Or we will be here again in 3 years.

You're right. At some point in the draft, we ought to tackle a tackle. No need for it to be in the 1st round though. We can go 2nd round IF we find Shanahan's ideal QB.

We better draft a tackle. Or we will be here again in 3 years.

Draft a tackle? Sure, I can buy that (though I don't really buy that argument I've seen rosters of SB contenders with FA or acquired LTs)

But with the #4 pick in the draft necessarily? no.

];7182534']I wonder what the talent difference is between Okung' date=' Davis, and Campbell.

Okung is clearly the top rated OT, but Davis and Campbell look good too. I would rather trade down a little and pick up any kind of extra picks if we could land Campbell.[/quote']

The top OL in the draft are Okung, Campbell, Brown, Bulaga and Davis.

Okung, Brown, Bulaga and Campbell all are fits for either LOT or ROT. Davis is massive and most likely not athletic enough to play LOT in a zone blocking scheme. Should only be considered a ROT if the Skins look at him.

Draft a tackle? Sure, I can buy that (though I don't really buy that argument I've seen rosters of SB contenders with FA or acquired LTs)

But with the #4 pick in the draft necessarily? no.

Again, if you don't draft OL are you satisfied with what you saw this year? And you've never addressed the fact that the best and youngest OL will be RFA's next year.

Time to bite the bullet and draft smart.

The Zone Blocking System that's coming in (assuming) is interesting. The beauty of it is that it doesn't require spending high draft picks on OL. You can of course, but the real value for ZBS teams is getting OL that other teams pass on because they don't possess traditional brute strength needed of power run teams.

Same thing of the Tampa-2 based defenses. They don't require CBs with highly-sought-after man to man cover skills. These teams get value in the draft with CBs that other teams pass on.

Of course, the more teams that run ZBS, the less value teams can get in the draft.

The Zone Blocking System that's coming in (assuming) is interesting. The beauty of it is that it doesn't require spending high draft picks on OL. You can of course, but the real value for ZBS teams is getting OL that other teams pass on because they don't possess traditional brute strength needed of power run teams.

Same thing of the Tampa-2 based defenses. They don't require CBs with highly-sought-after man to man cover skills. These teams get value in the draft with CBs that other teams pass on.

Of course, the more teams that run ZBS, the less value teams can get in the draft.

All of what you just said is true.

However you completely discount the fact that this team does not have a cornerstone LOT or ROT which the ZBS is built upon. In a normal year, Shanahan could find athletic O-lineman that fit his scheme in the mid to late rounds.

With one returning starter to the OL, and no CBA this is anything but a normal year and normal circumstances.

Exactly. He is the top rated LT in this draft... but this draft is very thin at LT. On Kipers Big Board he only has 2 OL in the top 25.... not a good sign.

See, if we are picking at number 4.... and trust me I don't want to draft anything but OL this entire draft (and maybe a true FS and RB).... but at number 4 if you have someone special sitting there and knowing you are going to pay them what a top 5 pick gets.... how could you not take them or trade down? Sure, you lose out on the top OL in the draft... but this top OL would have been 5 or 6 last year. And by trading down you get value... but lesser players (so to speak).

I would hate to be Bruce Allen sitting at number 4 in this years draft with the teams glaring need being one of the weakest draft classes in memory. Sucks to be him. :(

Agreed. With a top 5 pick, you want to be sure you draft the "right" guy. He'll be earning a boatloat of money and it should be money well-spent. We should not overthink this pick and use it to "reach" for a QB who's not worthy of the top 5 (Claussen, Bradford). We desperately need o-line help, Okung is an absolute beast, and we can pencil him in as a Pro Bowler for a decade (hopefully!) just like we did with the Chris Samuels pick, back in the day.

it's possible, but unlikely. too many easy-chair scouts make these type of predictions every year - only to be proven wrong time after time.....

];7181961']Both Claussen and Bradford are Top 5 worthy picks. Claussen is arguably the most pro ready QB to ever come out' date=' and Bradford put up impressive numbers with amazing accuracy, not to mention he has an ideal NFL build.

I'm not saying we should take either one over Okung. I'm just saying that let's not trash other worthy players just because it doesn't suit your agenda.[/quote']

......can't.....speak.......lack.......of oxygen............from laughing...........

All the orders, cults, churches, and other "The ____ of ____"s are starting to get old. Although I can't deny this one probably has the best ring to it of any yet haha.

I think we should go BPA among lineman and QBs available at our pick. Whoever Bruce and HC rate highest, I'll go along with. I'd be pumped to get Okung though. An elite DL and elite OL in two years??--that's building from the trenches!!

Archived