Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Eagles defense is CLEARLY better than the Cowboys defense.

Westbrook36

Statistically, the Eagles are better than the Cowboys in most categories. But this game will come down to matchups. Peter v. Ware. Maclin and Jackson v. Newman and Jenkins. Austin and Williams v. Brown and Samuel.

It should be a great game. Both teams are talented and playing well. I'm going to try to forget that I hate e everybody on the field and enjoy the best the NFL has to offer.

If McNabb is on target, the Cowboys are toast. If he has one of those games where he can't hit a wide-open RB to save his life, the Cowboys have a chance.

this is like arguing which is the better form of cancer.

who cares both will make you suffer, and will kill you in the end.

And both are composed of diseased tissue that should be removed as soon as possible. I wish they hadn't take away my knives when they gave me access to the admin panel.

So, here's the scenario: One of these two teams will win, believe that they are really good, and then get rudely awakened in the playoffs.

The other will lose, say the loss wasn't a big deal because they still made the playoffs, and then they too will be slapped in the face in the first round.

I'm thinking injuries and special teams determine the outcome of this game. I hope no one important gets hurt...I'd hate for injuries to be the excuse for the failure.

Oh, and discussing stats in an NFCE game that has some significance is historically pretty silly.

Kumbaya. ;)

Pray tell tr1...who will be in the NFCC game? Who will be the NFC representative in the Super Bowl?

You've eliminated two teams so far. Only 4 to choose from.

Let's hear it.

I don't necessarily think that you throw away stats from teams over a given season but I do believe that the best indicator of a teams performance is looking at what teams have done over a period of three games. Because the NFL is such that so many things change, injuries to players, game conditions, whatever it is, I don't really think you can go much past that. If you look at what the Eagles and the Cowboys have done over the past three games, here is what you see.

Eagles Defensively (last 3 games):

27 pts given up, 241 yards given up. Denver

13 pts given up, 261 yards given up. 49ers

38 pts given up, 512 yards given up. NYG

78 pts or 26 pts per game and 1014 total yards or 338 yards per game.

Dallas Defensively (last 3 games):

0 pts given up, 208 yards given up. Skinz

17 pts given up, 336 yards given up. Saints

20 pts given up, 341 yards given up. Chargers

37 pts or 12.3 per game and 885 total yards or 295 yards per game.

Obviously, certain things factor into these things. Quality of offenses faced, home or away etc.

Denver is the 19th ranked offense YPG and 19th with Pts scored. (@ Philly)

49ers have the 29th ranked offense YPG and 19th in Pts scored. (@ Philly)

Giants have the 6th ranked offense YPG and 8th in Pts scored. (@ NY)

Skinz have the 23rd ranked offense YPG and the 26th in Pts scored. (@Wash.)

Saint have the #1 ranked offense YPG and are number 1 in Pts scored. (@ N.O.)

Chargers have the 11th ranked offense YPG and are number 2 in pts scored. (@ Dal.)

If I look at these stats, my opinion on who has the better defense right now is pretty clear. However, everybody is welcome to make up their own minds and come Sunday, it won't matter who thinks what. It will all be proven on the field, which is OK with me.

Pray tell tr1...who will be in the NFCC game? Who will be the NFC representative in the Super Bowl?

You've eliminated two teams so far. Only 4 to choose from.

Let's hear it.

Well, unless you've been living on another planet, Brett Farve winning a SB this late in his career would make a tremendous heart-warming story...something the NFL and ESPN could talk and talk and talk about for weeks to come. And, that chance meeting between Green Bay and Farve's new team! Imagine what a story line THAT would be, eh?

I'm sorry fellas, your stories don't smack of warmth or drama...they smack of Philly and pukeville.

Two cold and harsh places.

Watch for the refs to dominate the NFC playoffs.

Sorry I couldn't include any stats for this hypothesis...but, you know how some things just HAPPEN in the NFL...

:rotflmao:

Yes, you were. ;)

;););););););)

;););););););)

It was meant as 'I come in peace' to my fellow posters...an attempt at lightheartedness in deference to the new rules...not directed at baiting you or anyone.

I now understand that 'kumbaya' has special meaning for you...I'll never use it again.

Are you taking PMs?

ewwww

you'll go blind!

I already qualify for bifocals :doh: :(

This isn't that hard for me. As much as I don't like NFCE rivals, it's the Cowboy victories that are the hardest to take for me, by far. And I have had/have my share of Cowboy fans in my life who I have liked and that hasn't changed that feeling. I do think the eagles have the edge in the game, but I sure can see it turning out the other way. I do think the Eagles D is better, but the boys have improved there, and I think the boys offesne right now has the edge on the eagles,. So ****. :D

Mr. Jones, I think I have made a pretty good case as to why the Cowboys defense gives up less points and why a season's worth of plays and stats tell us this is likely to change on Sunday. You can't point at one metric and predict future success. Without the advantage of field position, more than likely, I'll take the team that gives up less yards per game, less yards per play, is better on third down, creates many more turnovers and has more sacks.

Statistically the Eagles are better in most areas, but at the end of the day points are really the only thing that matter and defensively the Cowboys just don't give them up and everything else is pretty much just fluff. Also like other posters have pointed out two of the Cowboys worst defensive games were the first two weeks of the season while the past three weeks have held better offenses to fewer points than the Eagles.

As for the Eagles owning Dallas in the 2nd game of the season, that was back under Jim Johnson, who'd play a super vanilla game the first match up and then pull all the stops for the second one. This season the Eagles have blitzed constantly from the word go, and lost to Dallas in Philly doing it.

This is an NFCE game though so pretty much all stats, trends, and predictions are meaningless and in 20 hours we'll know who's the NFCE champion, and who's not. Stay safe in Kuwait and I look forward to you coming back with the Eagles (hopefully) eliminated from the playoffs.

While the Eagles have given up many points over the last three weeks, it should be noted that the opponents have played have given the Cowboys 3 of their 5 losses while the Eagles won all three.

If only the transitive property worked in the NFL...

Well, unless you've been living on another planet, Brett Farve winning a SB this late in his career would make a tremendous heart-warming story...something the NFL and ESPN could talk and talk and talk about for weeks to come. And, that chance meeting between Green Bay and Farve's new team! Imagine what a story line THAT would be, eh?

I'm sorry fellas, your stories don't smack of warmth or drama...they smack of Philly and pukeville.

Two cold and harsh places.

Watch for the refs to dominate the NFC playoffs.

Sorry I couldn't include any stats for this hypothesis...but, you know how some things just HAPPEN in the NFL...

:rotflmao:

So your NFC pick in the Vikings? And their opponent is Green Bay in the NFCCG?

Archived