Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Campbell's fate in Washington?

stbabyy

Didn't see this posted anywhere. If it has been please delete!

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/9062/what-is-campbells-fate-in-washington

Redskins coach Jim Zorn has absorbed a lot of hits off the field this season, but it's his quarterback, Jason Campbell, who has suffered the most physical pain on the field. The coaches have asked Campbell several times this season if he'd like to come out of the game because of all the punishment he's received, but he's refused every single time.

8440.jpg

Campbell

Even though management hasn't shown any inclination to keep him around in the future, Campbell feels like he owes it to his teammates to stay on the field. And that's why he continues to take snaps behind the most nondescript, if not worst, offensive line in the league.

Tracee Hamilton of The Washington Post has an excellent column on Campbell in today's newspaper. She notes how the quarterback has almost steadfastly refused to complain about his situation, although he might have the biggest gripe on the team. Of course, the guy who just arrived, Albert Haynesworth, felt secure enough to rip the defensive coordinator on Christmas.

Here's how Hamilton concludes her column: "For a new GM and a new coach, replacing the quarterback is a time-honored tradition. Still, before he makes a decision, [bruce] Allen should picture Campbell with a healthy line, a cohesive game plan, a show of confidence from the franchise and one -- and only one -- strong voice talking in his ear. Campbell earned at least that much consideration this season, one hit at a time."

I would be curious to see how Campbell could function playing for Mike Shanahan, but I'd really like to see him get a fresh start with another organization. Are there any Redskins fans out there who'd like to see what Shanahan could do with Campbell?

going to depend on the coach, and what bruce allen wants to do.

it'd be wise to keep JC for one more year, since O line, LB's, D Secondary are such big concerns.

but i don't think you'll be ablet o sign JC for anything less than a 5 year - future starter kind of contract (ie: 60mil). so he's probably gone due to that alone.

but who knows, whatever coach we bring in may think he's completely servicable and worth keeping around for 5 more years while we bring up another QB

I am not a big JC fan....that being said, the alternative would be to try and bring in a veteran to fill in the gaps while the QB we draft gets ready to play. Why not keep JC next year, he is a RFA and depending on any offers he receives, the skins can match it and keep him. If JC plays great, well then we can always resign him.

But, if I was JC, I wouldn't stay knowing what I already know of the organization and their attempts to get rid of me.

Will be an interesting offseason, which unfortunately the past 10 years has been the ONLY thing to really look forward to during the season.

going to depend on the coach, and what bruce allen wants to do.

it'd be wise to keep JC for one more year, since O line, LB's, D Secondary are such big concerns.

but i don't think you'll be ablet o sign JC for anything less than a 5 year - future starter kind of contract (ie: 60mil). so he's probably gone due to that alone.

but who knows, whatever coach we bring in may think he's completely servicable and worth keeping around for 5 more years while we bring up another QB

The only way we "can't" sign JC for a lowball one or two year deal, is if another team offers more (which is GREAT, we get at least one more good draft pick!), or JC sits out, in which case we should just move on, keeping rights to him long as we can for maybe a free #1 pick due to RFA status.

I personally really like Campbell. He improves each year which should not be the case with the horrible o-line play. If we get him a decent o-line I think he would be pretty dangerous. It's going to be pretty interesting to see what happens but he should definitely get another year or two.

The only way we "can't" sign JC for a lowball one or two year deal, is if another team offers more (which is GREAT, we get at least one more good draft pick!), or JC sits out, in which case we should just move on, keeping rights to him long as we can for maybe a free #1 pick due to RFA status.

thats exactly what i'm talking about. JC is probably going to pull a 3-5 year deal with decent $ from somewhere else - which means we'd have to match it, and I don't think this organization is ready to do that.

that also depends on an uncapped year.

interesting about the draft pick. i had no idea those were part of the RFA rules - had to look it up.

I've always been a huge Jason Campbell supporter even though many Redskin fans have given up on him. Not even the great Joe Montana would be able to function as a Qb with the offensive line that the Redskins have had in 2009. I'm hoping that Campbell will be re-signed. If you look at film of Campbell in Al Sanders offense and in Jim Zorn's offense, you'll see that he has potential, but hasn't gotten over the hump yet mainly due to his lack of supporting cast around him. Moss, Randle El, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Clinton Portis, and a few others haven't been good role players in these offenses that Campbell has operated in.

Perhaps Mike Shanahan could bring otu the best in Campbell.

I think giving Campbell a one-year tender is the best interest of our team. Not saying he will start next season, but in an uncapped year, why not? If there is a team dumb enough to offer him a big contract we'd get their first and third round draft choice.

Everyone whines about the number of systems JC has had to learn in his career and how it has stunted his growth. I say that we do him a favor and let him go to the team of his choosing. We need to start fresh and let our next coach pick his own QB instead of sticking him with JC. Both JC and the Skins need to head in a new direction.....

I've always been a huge Jason Campbell supporter even though many Redskin fans have given up on him. Not even the great Joe Montana would be able to function as a Qb with the offensive line that the Redskins have had in 2009. I'm hoping that Campbell will be re-signed. If you look at film of Campbell in Al Sanders offense and in Jim Zorn's offense, you'll see that he has potential, but hasn't gotten over the hump yet mainly due to his lack of supporting cast around him. Moss, Randle El, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Clinton Portis, and a few others haven't been good role players in these offenses that Campbell has operated in.

one-year tender... uncapped 2010. at worst he could be back-up... he's got 3-4 years starting experience... We need a stop-gap until we find the fanchise.

Lack of supporting cast? His supporting cast has made the playoffs twice without him. Several of them have made pro bowls and a few have set franchise records.

His supporting cast lacks a quarterback, not the other way around.

I personally really like Campbell. He improves each year.

Uh what? Really? Like throwing away a pass and getting called for grounding? You would think that's rookie stuff.

He hasn't improved. He's at his plateau. He's a game manager. He has, in 4 years, no signature game. He has no signature comeback. He has nothing but years of missing open receivers even when there's no pressure.

Uh what? Really? Like throwing away a pass and getting called for grounding? You would think that's rookie stuff.

He hasn't improved. He's at his plateau. He's a game manager. He has, in 4 years, no signature game. He has no signature comeback. He has nothing but years of missing open receivers even when there's no pressure.

I was talking about his stats. Minus his interceptions he did better in every category. The o-line play this year has been the worst since he has started. If he can still improve, even slightly, with this terrible line you have to give him some credit.

Lack of supporting cast? His supporting cast has made the playoffs twice without him. Several of them have made pro bowls and a few have set franchise records.

His supporting cast lacks a quarterback, not the other way around.

i think he was referring to the O line this year, mostly. or maybe the overall average WR's. or lack of running game.

in the not too distant past, though, the O line has been very good, as has the running game.

I have done enough defending of the guy personally. I think for the most part I was defending the guys character though because of the extreme bashing that goes on around here. Hes not that great of a player, and makes some totally bonehead moves at times though.

I dont think Snyder likes him very much at all. Wouldnt suprise me to see someone new in here.......and it really would be that much of a difference. Jason isnt all that bad, but really if we brought someone else in they couldnt be a ton worse either.

I really do think its time to draft a QB.....then draft lineman in the next few rounds and hope to the football gods out there that this QB works out.........they owe us anyway.

Archived