Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Campbell's fate in Washington?

stbabyy

can we please ATLEAST BRING IN Michael Vick??? I mean, the guy ISNT as horrible a QB as some of you make him out to be and he really didnt get a chance in Philly. And im not saying just give him the job, but he should atleast be able to compete for it. Its not like we have Pro Bowl QBs at our leisure. Think about it:

- The best thing behind a struggling O-Line is a elusive QB

- His accuracy/throw power/deep ball attempts are better

- We would finally have a threat at QB (im sure some teams still fear him under center)

- We might can install some new packages on offense

- Bootlegs, roll outs, and PA would freeze up lot of coverages

i dont know, maybe im just in need of a drastic change, but whats the worst that can happen? I find it hard to believe that we wouldnt do better than 4 wins with Vick.........right? :2cents:

can we please ATLEAST BRING IN Michael Vick??? I mean, the guy ISNT as horrible a QB as some of you make him out to be and he really didnt get a chance in Philly. And im not saying just give him the job, but he should atleast be able to compete for it. Its not like we have Pro Bowl QBs at our leisure. Think about it:

- We would finally have a threat at QB (im sure some teams still fear him under center)

i dont know, maybe im just in need of a drastic change, but whats the worst that can happen? I find it hard to believe that we wouldnt do better than 4 wins with Vick.........right? :2cents:

Ughhhhh no. Not only will it not happen (Allen values character), it shouldnt happen.

I would take Jason Campbell over Michael Vick.

shanny's o-line requires quick, agile offensive lineman (who are also smaller)... as a result, pocket pass pro can be a weakness.. therefore u need a qb that is very mobile and agile, and while campbell can scramble for yards here and there, he is not what i would call a mobile qb.

Uh what? Really? Like throwing away a pass and getting called for grounding? You would think that's rookie stuff.

He hasn't improved. He's at his plateau. He's a game manager. He has, in 4 years, no signature game. He has no signature comeback. He has nothing but years of missing open receivers even when there's no pressure.

According to his passer rating, he's improved every year. I'm just saying. However, he cannot pick up a blitz or make quick throws besides a screen pass that he decides on throwing before the snap.

A one-year tender would be fine... a new coach is probably what we need.

I wish you were on XBL right now so I could tell you what I really think of your idea wow :doh:

Campbell will return to Washington only if all of there options in the draft are taken at QB, teams want to much in return for trying to trade him. Todd Collins retires, Colt Brennan re-injures his hip walking around redskins park and Jason realizes that if he leaves Washington he'll be competing for a starting spot something that hasn't happened here or he'd already be determined to be a backup for another team.

thats exactly what i'm talking about. JC is probably going to pull a 3-5 year deal with decent $ from somewhere else - which means we'd have to match it, and I don't think this organization is ready to do that.

that also depends on an uncapped year.

interesting about the draft pick. i had no idea those were part of the RFA rules - had to look it up.

who in their right minds would want him as a starting qb? i mean, if there are actually teams out there that want to waste money on him and sign him to a 3-5 yr contract, go for it. it's about time other teams go through whatwe go through which is waste money, draft picks... etc on useless players.

we do it right from now on and hopefully Allen will be the man to do it. from now on, no more giving away draft picks and wasting money on horrendous players whether it is from draft or free agency.

Everyone whines about the number of systems JC has had to learn in his career and how it has stunted his growth. I say that we do him a favor and let him go to the team of his choosing. We need to start fresh and let our next coach pick his own QB instead of sticking him with JC. Both JC and the Skins need to head in a new direction.....

did you hear his interview on Lavar arrington show with Chad dudkes? i will give jason candle what he said. first time i actually liked what he said in his interview.

basically they talked about having different systems with different coaches and candle's response was, something like having different systems and different coaches is old and isnt an issue. he has been playing long enough to know what types of plays, playbook etc is out there and that , it shouldnt be an excuse any more.

As long as we still are running a WCO...no.

His talents are wasted in this type of offense

Why do you say that? I'll assume it's because you, like many, have convinced themselves he is good at throwing the deep ball, but there is absolutely no evidence to support that. He's a dump off guy (career 77%+ within 10 yards of scrimmage), and the while I agree that he isn't generally quick enough to run the traditional WCO (and he can't throw a slant to save his life), he seems to have improved some with certain throws in the WCO.

I'm not sure what type of offense he would do better in. Possibly Norv Turner's, but that is similar to Saunders and he was no good in that one either.

In the end, he is a mediocre QB that could give you an 11 win season if he were surrounded by an excellent team. But then, couldn't you say that about most NFL QBs?

I say keep him on a one year deal because he comes cheap, and there aren't a ton of great options out there. But replacing him at some point should be a key priority if this franchise is ever going to return to greatness.

As long as we still are running a WCO...no.

His talents are wasted in this type of offense

The idea that JC is a good deep ball thrower is a myth.

No matter the scheme, he's shown that he hates going downfield. The idea that Zorn's scheme never called for the deep ball is ridiculous. Average-armed Todd Collins proved this when he went downfield multiple times in very limited action.

And even when JC has gone downfield, more often than not the ball is overthrown or goes out of bounds. Which is probably why he's so hesitant to go downfield.

I like JC. Great guy by all accounts. But his inability to read defenses and anticipate receivers getting open instead of waiting for them to get open is going to be a mark against him in any system.

JC's fate may depend on a few factors including the rules for Restricted Free Agents. I searched for those rules and found the following at the link below.

It seems we could offer a one year tender and see what happens. JC was a 1st Round pick so a one year offer of $1M would give us the right to match any offer he gets from another team or take their 1st round pick. It would take a one year $2.9M tender offer to get another teams 1st and 3rd round picks.

If no one made an offer we'd have him for another year at the amount tendered.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=97217

Restricted Free Agency

Timeline: January 18th - 25th

Teams are allowed to bid on restricted free agents (RFAs) but only restricted free agents. All teams are allowed to bid on all RFAs whether they have been tendered or not. Teams will have to bid on their own RFAs and an offer doesn't automatically mean you will sign that player. Compensation will be awarded whether a player was tendered or not, if applicable. The original team maintains the First Right of Refusal whether they tender an offer or not. The minimum qualifying offer for a RFA is $540,000. If a bid on a player goes unmatched for 12 hours, then the team who last bid on the player will sign him if, and only if, the player's original team decides not to match the final offer. The original team can't match the offer until it's the final offer or after 12 hours. The RFA’s original team will be given 6 hours to make a decision whether to match the offer or not. If the previous team chooses not to match the offer, the RFA is officially signed and appropriate compensation will be awarded if necessary. After the RFA period ends, all RFAs who were not re-signed or signed will be thrown into the unrestricted free agent pool.

Only a team's GM or Assistant GM may bid on players. However, they must have approval from the HC, or the OC/DC depending on the position of the player.

Restricted free agency will stop on January 25, 2007 at midnight. If a team outbids another team for a player one minute before deadline, then by rule they will tentatively sign him. The player’s original team will still have 6 hours to match the final offer, even if the 6 hours exceeds the end of RFA. Teams should remember to compensate for their draft picks and allotted salary cap. Teams may not exceed the 53 player limit.

FAQ

How do you know the appropriate compensation for a restricted free agent?

No Pick Compensation

The player's original team maintains the First Refusal Right if a team offers a one year deal of $540,000.

Original Draft Round Compensation

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at the Players Original Draft Round (from the team with which he signs) if a team offers a one year deal of $1,001,000.

First Round Compensation

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection (from the team with which he signs) if a team offers a one year deal of $2,181,000.

First & Third Round Compensation

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and First Round Draft Selection and Third Round Draft Selection (both from the team with which he signs) if a team offers a one year deal of $2,908,000.

Compensation Breakdown

$540,000-$1,000,999: None

$1,001,000-$2,180,999: Original Draft Round

$2,181,000-$2,907,999: First Round

$2,908,000+: First & Third Round

Ooh great. Another thread where it amounts to "He's a nice standup guy. Let's give him another year..." It's time to accept nice guys finish last.

No, he is a good guy who deserves a shot someplace else.A change of venue may do him well, though I doubt it.

I wanted JC to get a fair shot at developing as a QB and he has had one. He is not a starting quality QB and now it's time to move on.

I don't hate the guy or question his effort or toughness. And I suspect that, being a stand-up guy, Jason will stick around on clipboard duty for several years.

Archived