Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Campbell's fate in Washington?

stbabyy

As i've been stating on other boards, as we near 2010 FA its likely the year will be uncapped which will make JC a restricted FA. He could very well end up back in DC on a one year tender if no one decides hes worth.... say a 4th round draft pick.

True, I would be happy with that, Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy need time, one year would do great...

Anyone who reads these boards carefully will see that we are going to tender him as a restricted free agent.

Unless another team offers us a reasonable trade for him, Campbell will be back in DC next year. And as a one-year stopgap before Sam Bradford/Jimmy Clausen take the helm, we could definitely do worse (just look at the available free agents, for example).

One poster asked how Campbell could possibly benefit from Shanahan's system. Well, for one, Campbell is at his best out of the pocket. He's also the 4th leading rusher among quarterbacks in the league. His mobility and ability to throw on the run might be his best assets. In Shanahan's bootleg-heavy offense, Campbell will be a much better fit than the 3-step or 5-step Zorn offense (in which he gets pounded on a consistent basis as it is). Furthermore, Shanahan heavily employs the 2 TE set, and Campbell's favorite targets are clearly his tight ends. If we keep Cooley, getting him on the field with Fred Davis at the same time will make Campbell most comfortable, considering he doesn't have confidence throwing to receivers other than Moss outside the numbers.

Maybe if he continues to improve in a better offense behind a better line, we could trade him at the end of the season to a team in need of a fairly reliable (if unspectacular) veteran QB. Given that we are now in "rebuilding mode" and looking to 2011 and beyond, we have nothing to lose by playing Campbell another year. At worst, Colt Brennan and our rookie QB get to compete with him in camp.

thats exactly what i'm talking about. JC is probably going to pull a 3-5 year deal with decent $ from somewhere else - which means we'd have to match it, and I don't think this organization is ready to do that.

that also depends on an uncapped year.

interesting about the draft pick. i had no idea those were part of the RFA rules - had to look it up.

Which is why we should low-ball JC, to make him more attractive to other teams. A high draft pick is worth more than Candle.

I was merely making the point that no successful QB or team is lacking in all three major components of the offense. Stats aren't the point the point is no one will be successful here if the receivers, running backs and o-line are not improved.

Secondly, Jason led this team to a 4th quarter lead several times this season. The defense failed him each time by giving up winning points.

Also Jason did throw a game winning TD against AZ last season.

U mean he scored the final TD in the game dude. Means he drove us down the field with like 5 minutes left which isnt actually a game winning drive.

What? Are you kidding? Vinny gave Zorn a playoff team!

Agreed! I'm still baffled that people think we are in a total rebuild year, were not. We need a QB, couple linemen, possibly another RB but I'm not counting out portis yet if Shanny comes, and we'd be playoff bound. Plus, our receiver crew is coming around as well.

Zorn messed up. He should have played collins in 08 and worked with Campbell for a year and started him in 09. Too late now. They are both gone as I see it.

Archived