Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan *should* get personnel power

BurgundyBooger

I've been thinking about this one, and it seems there are some criticisms floating about with regard to Shanny's desire to have personnel-decision powers and whether he should have it or not.

At first, I was against it, considering the additional workload he'd have to assume and his record personnel-wise. But after this season and after observing the antics of some of the players on this team, do any of you really think our players will respect any head coach that comes here without the power of firing their undisciplined asses? I believe Shanahan thought about this and felt that in order to get the full respect of the current players and future players - the sort of respect that was never awarded to Zorn, Spurrier, Norv - he'd have to be given the power to control their job security, but more importantly, he wants the players here to know that he can check them on all levels if they step out of line.

Sounds smart to me, and I think it could work.

Thoughts?

No. We hired a GM for a reason. Joe Gibbs was a good coach and was not very good with personnel. I feel that Shanahan is the same way. He should be able to tell Bruce Allen what he is looking for at each position, especially QB, and what he wants to work with. It is Bruce Allen and the scouting department's job to find Shanahan the players he needs. Coaches should coach, managers should manage. No more of this 1 person who controls multiple facets of the franchise.

Shanny will come in as team president and HC. He will have control over personnel. Allen will be working for Shanny. It's better than what we currently have.

Exactly. Shanny wasn't that bad at personnel tho. He drafted Brandon Marshall in the 4th. Say what u want about BM but he is a great player. O yeah plus he stuck it to us by getting a 3rd rounder in the TJ Duckett, Ashley Lelie trade :doh:

No he shouldn't. Shannahan could be the best coach in the NFL with a good gm. If you were aware of his time with the broncos you would not say something that stupid. He should have great say over personnel not final say.

IMHO, the MAIN reason why we are in the position we are currently in is BECAUSE the FO has that control, not the coach. He is just a puppet.

I think if Shannahan comes in he will be team president, giving him control to organize and decide what he wants w/ personnel. However, as GM Allen has final say on team matters, meaning likely Shanahan has full control over the roster and personnel, but Allen has to sign off on it. That's the way I see it and hope that is what happens.

Archived