Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Worst head coaching decision of the weekend:

Roger.Staubach

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Zorn's play call is idiotic but doesn't really mean much after all. But Tomlin with the onside kick almost cost him the season. But GB decided to bail him out with that prevent defense all the way down the field and their inability to prevent a prayer with 3 seconds left.

Tomlin Wins Points with TMQ: After scoring to take a 30-28 lead with four minutes remaining, Pittsburgh attempted an onside kick. On NBC's "Football Night in the Known Universe," Tony Dungy said he was "shocked" by the call. That's the point! The Packers were shocked too -- completely unprepared -- and the gamble might have won the game then and there had Ike Taylor of the Steelers not recovered the ball 1 yard too soon. Football pundits fell all over themselves assailing Tomlin's decision, which TMQ thought was a great call. This is another example of the phenomenon that sports-yak types don't want coaches to make innovative or risky calls (Bill Belichick on fourth-and-2 at Indianapolis and so on). Instead, they want game action to be ultra-predictable -- because the commentators don't want to be taken by surprise. Plus, here were the Green Bay possession results in the fourth quarter: touchdown, touchdown, touchdown. Tomlin knew his defense, especially his secondary, wasn't performing. The onside attempt made eminent sense.

I have to go with Zorn.....you always take the points, even in a blow out half like last night. Take the 3 especially with the Skins getting the ball to start the 3rd quarter...could of been a quick 10 points and turned the game around.....LOL no not really but you still take the points where they are there

What about Jeff Fisher not calling timeouts at the end of regulation? A Dolphin punt would have given them good field position and their kicker is money.

With those choices I'd say Zorn's in terms of overall stupidity, but since it was in the end a meaningless decision either way because of the score I'd say Reid going for it on 4th and 1 from his own 29 in a game that was ultimately competitive.

Ironically, 3 of these 4 decisions are hailed as brilliant if they work.

-If Ike Taylor is patient and waits for the ball to go another yard, Tomlin is brilliant for catching the Packers sleeping and winning the game in spectacular fashion (in a way different from how it was actually won).

-Andy Reid's play worked, so in hindsight it's hard to say it was a bad call. But I'm in favor of trying to convert as many 4th and 1's as possible.

-If Zorn's trick FG works, we go into halftime down 24-7 and with some possible momentum getting the ball after halftime. Besides, how many Redskins fans want this team to play like it has nothing to lose, and then ***** when they do JUST THAT?

The dumbest decision by far to me was Childress and Favre. Maybe Childress was trying to prove he was in charge (and failed), maybe he was trying to save Brett from abuse for the playoffs (and pissed Favre off). Either way it's not often you see a coach try to take his star QB out of the game up by a point with more than a quarter still to play. It was a bad move, and it will have the most severe repercussions.

I'd go with the Bengals leaving the sideline open with the Chargers 15 yards outside of FG range with 10 seconds left and no timeouts. Simply cover the sidelines and there is no way they can win the game.

I agree and I can explain it in two words: Mike Zimmer. A good guy and may his wife rest in peace, but he can make some of the oddest calls at the wrong time in games.

that's all on the CB, not Zimmer.

Partly...but why even blitz in that situation? Play an umbrella defense and force them to throw to the middle of the field. By playing man-to-man you take the risk of getting beat deep or on the sideline, which is what happened.

And there is no way it's Zorn. Had he kicked the field goal we still would have gotten blown out. It was an irrelevant decision

Technically that's true, it was one of the worst plays in NFL history and one of the worst calls, but you can argue that the decision part of it doesn't matter.

Decision wise the worst call of the week is Tomlin, I don't care that they won the game, that onsides kick call was stupid.

Archived