Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Worst head coaching decision of the weekend:

Roger.Staubach

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Zorn's move, while idiotic, wasn't the worst in this particular context. If it had had a significant impact on the outcome of the game, I'd probably feel differently.

Childress trying to bench Favre...well, I can kind of see the rationale. I attribute the attempt more towards the fact that Chilly was afraid of Favre getting hurt...and playoffs are just around the corner. Definitely an understandable move.

Andy Reid's choice, while risky, isn't god-awful. It was early in the game and if it had backfired, they still had all game to make up for it. I would have punted, but hey, they won the game, so who cares.

The Tomlin onside kick, I could not understand for the life of me.

It's between Mike Tomlin and Dom Capers for the most significant of the bad decisions. The worst decision was Zorn's by a wide margin, though. It's not so much about making the call to try a trick play as it is showing the Giants your play, forcing a timeout, and then showing them the exact same look after they've had time to make adjustments and get on the same page.

Zorn's was pretty bad, but it didn't really matter. We would've gotten destroyed either way and I think it was more of an "F U" to Snyder. I voted Tomlin's because it actually could've lost them the game. You have a strong defense and the lead and you kick it onsides? Didn't make much sense to me. And the fact that Roethlisberger bailed him out is irrelevant to the decision. Horrible.

none of the above- I think Green Bay in man coverage in the corner of the endzone with 3 seconds left on the game clock- that D Coordinator should be fired.

Dom Capers took GB from decent pass and terrible Run D to exceptional. I think we'll hang on to him.

The issue is that Josh Bell is no dime-back. When healthy, Harris was our #2, Williams the Nickel, Blackmon the Dime, and Underwood was the 5th CB in case of injury, and Bush the second backup. Well with Harris out, that promoted Williams up to #2, and Blackmon was already out for the year, and Underwood out for this game, that puts Bush in as our #4 choice at nickel back, and Bell in as our #4 choice at Dime back.

What should have happened on that play is Bell stays underneath the route because the safety has it covered from above. Bell didn't recognize that and he let that pass get in where he couldn't get to it.

Also, it should be noted that Roethlisberger would've been sacked if his offensive line hadn't gotten away with holding Johnny Jolly.

And there is no way it's Zorn. Had he kicked the field goal we still would have gotten blown out. It was an irrelevant decision

^ this.

Had the packer receiver pulled a Brian Westbrook and dove on the ground at the 1, they could have run all of the time out and kicked a field goal. Since they don't employ Suisham, that would have been a guaranteed win.

^ this.

Had the packer receiver pulled a Brian Westbrook and dove on the ground at the 1, they could have run all of the time out and kicked a field goal. Since they don't employ Suisham, that would have been a guaranteed win.

Perhaps you aren't too familiar with Mason Crosby's current woes. He already missed a 34-yard chipshot in that game, which ended up being the difference, and he almost missed an extra point.

I don't get why, though, on third down in FG range, we keep running plays off to the right hash where all of his troubles seem to lie.

Zorn. I have no problem with a fake, heck the skins got the giants in week 1 with a fake FG. However, after the timeout the element of surprise was completely gone and that greatly reduced the chance of success. You also can't discount the fact that the giants returned the INT all the way to the Skins 45. It wasn't that far from turning a 24-0 game into a 31-0 game.

Zorn by a mile. Did I miss something or didn't all 3 of the other decisions eventually prove correct?

Sure, all of the other 3 proved correct.....if you consider Favre's press-conference blowup and eventual fallout from this event the correct decision for a coach wanting to pull his star QB out of a game in the 3rd quarter when up 7-6. Especially considering Favre finished out the game anyway, thus further undermining Brad Childress.

Mike Tomlin - won game

Talking about taking Brett out had no effect on the game. Carolina still torched the Vikes defense AND Brett is OK and not injured

Andy Reid - won the game

Jim Zorn - well look we still lost but at the time the 3 points would had put us within 14 WITH US getting the ball at the start of the 3rd. Dumb

Mike Tomlin - won game

Talking about taking Brett out had no effect on the game. Carolina still torched the Vikes defense AND Brett is OK and not injured

Andy Reid - won the game

Jim Zorn - well look we still lost but at the time the 3 points would had put us within 14 WITH US getting the ball at the start of the 3rd. Dumb

Actually, at the time of the FG "Attempt" we were down 24-0. Getting 3 would've put us within 21 of them with us getting the ball after halftime.

I'm flabergasted that Zorn's call is winning overwhelmingly, that's ridiculous. That's the least worst call (does that make sense?), in my opinion by far, not even close.

Going for it on 4th and 1 on your own 29 in the first quarter are you fricking kidding me??

And the onside kick, now that was just fing stupid. Pulling Brett Favre, when your up by 1 in the third quarter I blieve, that is ludicrus, although I can understand he didn't want him to get beat up anymore and may feel comfortable with their playoff positioning right now, but still

none of the above- I think Green Bay in man coverage in the corner of the endzone with 3 seconds left on the game clock- that D Coordinator should be fired.

I disagree. The Packers rushed 3, which left 8 in coverage. The Steelers sent 5 men out on routes. 8 vs 5 means that not everyone can be doubled. I don't think Mike Wallace would be on my list to double either. Ward, Holmes, and Miller would get doubled 1st. If they played a zone, there would end up only being 1 person in the corner anyway.

Archived